PDA

View Full Version : CD freebie day every Friday at Stereonow from now onwards!

Neil McCauley
11-03-2011, 16:51
Being somewhat peed-off by the news in general and having too many CDs that I don’t listen to and buying more CDs than I need (Fopp, Amazon, anywhere) I thought I’d do something about it.

So every Friday, including today on my other site I’m giving away one or more CDs.

You don’t have to buy nuffink (as Steve Marriot would say) and there is no small print and no postage either. You just email me with WANT PENTANGLE (that’s this week’s freebie) and I pick one winner on the next day, request postal details and then send it. That’s it.

Please click here for details > http://bit.ly/ghjLwl

John
11-03-2011, 16:56
Just to let you know Howard does give out great CD music. We used to muturally educate each other around new music this way

Tim
11-03-2011, 16:56
What a wonderful gesture in these times of doom and gloom - hats of to you sir :)

Neil McCauley
11-03-2011, 17:03
Just to let you know Howard does give out great CD music. We used to muturally educate each other around new music this way

Ah yes indeed. Happy daze (days). You pointed out quite gently that it wasn't necessary to be a complete tosser re Flamenco music. Quite so. And I'm a better man 'cos of it. And so I try to carry on the message! Now then, what about The Detroit Cobras? Hot or wot? Kindest regards. H

John
11-03-2011, 17:24
yes cool garage band

Techno Commander
11-03-2011, 20:30
Jolly decent of you Howard. :)

Neil McCauley
12-03-2011, 09:19
TODAY'S WINNER IS MR. KEITH SIMISTER! HE HAS BEEN INFORMED.

Now I enjoyed that. I'm going to choose the next CD to give away for next week. Possibly I'll offer a decent pair of speaker cables FOC too. Not sure yet, but probably.

So ......... watch this space > http://not-boring-honestly.blogspot.com/search/label/Free%20CD

Have a nice weekend y'all!

keiths
12-03-2011, 13:24
:eek::):eek::):eek::)

Thanks Howard. I've sent you an email.

Rare Bird
12-03-2011, 17:39
great Album Keith

keiths
12-03-2011, 17:51
great Album Keith

Yep. Have it on cassette (from when I was a student and used to make full use of Manchester Music Library in the Precinct Centre). Don't know why I've never bought it on CD or vinyl? Looking forward to listening to it again.

Neil McCauley
18-03-2011, 08:47
It's FREE CD FRIDAY #2 at Stereonow.

Being somewhat peed-off by the news in general (like I was last week) and having too many CDs that I don’t listen to and buying more CDs than I need (Fopp, Amazon, anywhere) I thought I’d do something about it.

So every Friday, including today on my other site I’m giving away one or more CDs.

You don’t have to buy nuffink (as Steve Marriot would say) and there is no small print and no postage either. You just email me with 'WANT SUGAR please' (that’s this week’s freebie) and I pick one winner tomorrow, request postal details and then send it. That’s it.

Please click here for details > http://bit.ly/hSPa9z

MartinT
18-03-2011, 08:54
Nice idea, Howard, and very generous of you.

Neil McCauley
18-03-2011, 09:22
Nice idea, Howard, and very generous of you.

Well, thank you. I get quite a bit of pleasure doing this, what with choosing the Cd each week and so on. Should have done this sort of thing years ago. Not much fun in hi-fi these days and so we must seek it, and hug it when we can. And so I do.

Sincerely

Howard

Neil McCauley
19-03-2011, 16:35
The winner today was Mr Steve Owen.

Another free CD on offer this coming Friday.

keiths
27-03-2011, 12:51
I'd like to thank Howard for the Pentangle CD that arrived yesterday. Playing now and I'm enjoying it very much. Cheers Howard.

Neil McCauley
27-03-2011, 16:04
I'd like to thank Howard for the Pentangle CD that arrived yesterday. Playing now and I'm enjoying it very much. Cheers Howard.

My pleasure. As I get older I find that making people happy makes me happier than I ever would have expected. So thank you for giving me that opportunity.

Meanwhile, I forgot to do last week's offer. Hmm. Might do it tomorrow (Monday)

IntoTheVoid
28-03-2011, 11:40
Mine arrived on the weekend. Apart from the case being bust by Mr Postie all's good! Thanks Howard, much appreciated.

MartinT
28-03-2011, 12:02
Just got mine, too. Many thanks, Howard, I shall be putting my system under stress tonight.

Neil McCauley
29-03-2011, 17:42
Prize Draw #3

This week, something different. You can get all the details here > http://not-boring-honestly.blogspot.com/2011/03/this-weeks-competition.html

Usual thing; just email me hp@no-alibi.demon.co.uk with the precise phrase 'Want headphone stand please'

I'll make the draw, using either 'Pumpkin' or 'Ebony' (my two rescue cats) using the process outlined elsewhere on AoS. Yes, it's bizzare - but it's undeniably fair. And the chosen cat likes it too!

Tim
29-03-2011, 17:49
Goodness, this looks great - hats off to you sir :)

Neil McCauley
05-04-2011, 14:12
And the winner is Mr Dave Kendrick.

Meanwhile another prize draw to be held on Friday this week 8th April with the winner declared on Saturday.

Marco
05-04-2011, 15:15
:lolsign:

In case you're wondering, Howard, the reason I'm laughing is because Dave K is banned from AoS, so you're effectively rewarding a miscreant! :eyebrows:

Don't get me wrong, he's won your free CD fairly and squarely (and if you're reading this Dave, enjoy it! ;)), but in future could we fix it so that only currently active members of AoS can win your free CDs?

I think that some form of proof should be sought in that respect before one is able to enter the prize draw, as it were.

Something to think about, me thinks! :)

Marco.

Tim
05-04-2011, 16:00
Don't get me wrong, he's won your free CD fairly and squarely
He's done a lot better than that, he's won a rather splendid Headphone Stand!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/stand.jpg

Alex_UK
05-04-2011, 16:08
I'm sure Howard will answer for himself, but as far as I'm aware, the competition is published on Howard's blog, and it has never been exclusively for AoS members? The posts on here are merely "adverts" for the competition, I think?

Reid Malenfant
05-04-2011, 16:11
as far as I'm aware, the competition is published on Howard's blog, and it has never been exclusively for AoS members? The posts on here are merely "adverts" for the competition, I think?
That is the impression i got to Alex ;)

Neil McCauley
05-04-2011, 16:24

In case you're wondering, Howard, the reason I'm laughing is because Dave K is banned from AoS, so you're effectively rewarding a miscreant! :eyebrows:

Don't get me wrong, he's won your free CD fairly and squarely (and if you're reading this Dave, enjoy it! ;)), but in future could we fix it so that only currently active members of AoS can win your free CDs?

I think that some form of proof should be sought in that respect before one is able to enter the prize draw, as it were.

Marco.

I did in fact get an email from the winner. There was nothing contentious there at all although he implied that there might be a possible response on AoS and apologised in advance. I wrote as follows: "Thank you for this. These days though I try very hard to live in the present which, in my case means never looking back. Regards, Howard"

Whatever happened previously is no concern of mine and I had no direct experience with him as far as I can recall. Meanwhile Ebony, my #2 rescued cat did, in the time honoured tradition sit fairly and squarely on the piece of paper with the winner's name – and hence the winner.

On a slightly more serious note, you'll understand I'm sure that I cannot resonably be expected to match the request incoming email to those on AoS who post behind a pseudonym now can I? I'm in no way offended. Not even a little bit. But as you can see, anonymity can have its downsides from time to time. This was after all supposed to be fun. If I sense any aggro then I'll drop the freebie scheme like a stone. It's all later than we think!

Tim
05-04-2011, 16:30
"Thank you for this. These days though I try very hard to live in the present which, in my case means never looking back. Regards, Howard"
I'll drink to that :cool:

Neil McCauley
05-04-2011, 16:47
I'll drink to that :cool:

A fine idea. From time to time I do. Usually with a rough Grappa or Lambs Navy Rum @ 57%. Sometimes a Jim Beam and oddly given these, Magners Pear Cider. I hasten to add - not all at the same time!

Mike
05-04-2011, 17:17

Marco.

Utter bollocks! :lol:

:ner: G'wan... ban me! :spank:

Marco
05-04-2011, 17:32
Hi Howard,

There's no major issue - I hear what you're saying. I just had to giggle when I noticed that Dave K, of all people, had won your prize! :doh: :eyebrows:

I'm sure you appreciate the irony. Anyway, such is life, and good luck to him! The situation is undoubtedly rather amusing.

However, in future, it would be nice if there was some form of AoS members only prize, if AoS is being used as a major part of the promotion, presuming that this is workable, me old flower?

If not, then I understand, and not to worry :)

Marco.

Neil McCauley
05-04-2011, 17:39
Hi Howard,

There's no major issue - I hear what you're saying. I just had to giggle when I noticed that Dave K, of all people, had won your prize! :doh: :eyebrows:

I'm sure that you appreciate the irony. Anyway, such is life, and good luck to him! The situation is undoubtedly rather amusing.

However, in future, it would be nice if there was some form of AoS members only prize, if AoS is being used as part of the promotion, presuming that this is workable, me old flower?

If not, then not to worry :)

Marco.

No harm done of course. The only thing being promoted was my blog. But yes of course I'll see what I can do re an AoS members-only prize draw.

Marco
05-04-2011, 17:43
Nice one, Howard. I do appreciate that :)

Marco.

Neil McCauley
05-04-2011, 21:50
......... but in future could we fix it so that only currently active members of AoS can win your free CDs? Marco.

Yup. I've thought about it - and the answer is no. It's easy to do. But I won't.

Currently I can see no logical reason why I should bias towards AoS members in the same way that if confronted by a counterargument from my thousands of blog visitors I can see no rationale in biasing against AoS members. Just doesn’t make sense to me. And that's before a method of sorting out those who are worthy and those who aren't. This was after all supposed to be fun!

If I ran an extra free draw for non AoS members (which I would need to do if I produced something for fun that was exclusive for AoS members) then it doubles my amount of time, doubles my expense ('cos every winner receives their win entirely post-free) and doubles the amount of effort. Where’s the sense in that?

As you know, my biological clock is ticking far faster than I’d like and I just don’t have the time. Thus it’s better to knock it on the head now. And so I have.

Marco
05-04-2011, 22:51
Lol - no worries, Howard...

In that case, I advise factoring in the use of a virtual 'radar system', which identifies and rejects entries from chancers, scroungers and parasites, who are only after something for nothing, without the likelihood of EVER giving anything back!!

;) ;) [Double-winky used to emphasise the tongue-in-cheek nature of the above remark].

Marco.

Gazjam
06-04-2011, 11:54
Marco,

are the story's about your double winky true? :ner:

Marco
06-04-2011, 15:16
Nah, you're thinking of my 'Prince Albert'..... :flasher:

I've still got the stretch marks on me winkle! :eyebrows:

Marco.