PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Small Floorstanding Speakers

Darren Cotter
10-03-2011, 20:18
Hi All,

I am looking for a set of small floorstanders, or possible stand mounted speakers.

I live in Jersey, so they must be able to be posted to me, but apart from that, anything goes. My budget is up to about £500, less if possible.

They will be used on a Denon 5.1 amp for the moment, but I intend to get a decent pre-power amp in the future. Something like NAIM, Avondale or perhaps NVA.

Regards,

Darren

Darren Cotter
08-04-2011, 08:30
Bump.

The Black Adder
08-04-2011, 20:48
I would highly recommend the Monitor Audio BR5's - One of those speakers that are 'perfect' for this kind of set up.

Probably get some for approx £200. Amazing floorstanders for the size.

I've used these with Musical Fidelity, NVA, Naim and they sounded superb... I sold them to get some B&W CM7's and wished I didn't.

Darren Cotter
09-04-2011, 07:17
I would highly recommend the Monitor Audio BR5's - One of those speakers that are 'perfect' for this kind of set up.

Probably get some for approx £200. Amazing floorstanders for the size.

I've used these with Musical Fidelity, NVA, Naim and they sounded superb... I sold them to get some B&W CM7's and wished I didn't.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. They look perfect from a size point of view.

Anyone selling some?

Regards,

Darren

Alex_UK
09-04-2011, 07:49
"Pick up only" but would let you arrange your own courier:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Monitor-Audio-BR5-Speaker-/170623908746?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item27b9fa3b8a#ht_646wt_1139

DSJR
09-04-2011, 08:18
Darren - AV amps have a bad press because of the nature of the beast, but in actual fact, the better ones are VERY carefully designed from input to output and will reproduce good dynamics *cleanly* where many other old fashioned (and incredibly dated) "audiophile grade" amps will be clipping badly and fuzzying up the sound, although this distortion is what gives these products their "character." BE WARNED..........

My advice for an amp would be the new Croft integrated as a starting point (the pre and power may be more versatile, but how much better are they I wonder? ;) Properly thought out and carefully designed, very simple valve driver circuits and a solid-state output stage with well-specified components. For more traditional amps, the Cambridge range is good (but too "common" for the audiophool fraternity), the AVI Lab integrated can be got in good used condition for several hundred quid (and CAN NOW BE SERVICED by an authorised engineer!!!) and at a higher price, I've heard great things about the latest LFD integrated and Rega Elicit.

All of these will be better and far more up to date than the offerings you've mentioned, although the Avondale kits are great updates on the ancient 1950's RCA circuit.....

Darren Cotter
09-04-2011, 08:33
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice.

It looks like I will have to stay with an AV amp due to space constraints. To get a two channel system integrated with my existing AV setup would require a second rack, and I simply don’t have the space.

So I will get a better AV amp, and if possible an AV processor and multi channel power amp to get the best quality two channel sound for the AV set up.

So if anyone has an AV amp for sale, let me know.

Regards,

Darren

DSJR
09-04-2011, 08:43
Seriously, the manufacturers of the better AV products (Denon, Yamaha, Rotel - and I'm sure there are others), have excellent R&D departments and budgets and this, coupled with the far higher dynamic range needed for films (all those big explosions ;)) coupled with the low impedances of typical inexpensive AV style speakers, means they have to be highly competent at least, so they won't annihilate the music to anything like the amount that many might suggest.

I'm way out of date, but Rotel made some good AV stuff a few years ago and the current crop of makes apparently have really good DAC's built in as well if you get one of the bigger ones.

Good luck with whatever direction you follow. It may be worth taking a few days off 'inland' and having a dem or two :)

Stratmangler
09-04-2011, 10:14
You could also go the DIY route http://www.frugal-horn.com/
I have a pair of these and they're wonderful.:)

Mine look similar to the top photo, and have the Mark Audio CHP-70 driver fitted.

The Black Adder
09-04-2011, 10:24
"Pick up only" but would let you arrange your own courier:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Monitor-Audio-BR5-Speaker-/170623908746?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item27b9fa3b8a#ht_646wt_1139

Those were exactly the same as mine... Walnut finish, they look great and sound superb. One of my all time best all rounders.