PDA

View Full Version : Can home wi fi affect audio components?

magiccarpetride
10-03-2011, 18:50
By 'affect' I mean introduce RF noise and such.

Reid Malenfant
10-03-2011, 19:02
Possibly yes ;) I certainly know that mobile phones sure as hell do, damn things are a nuisance :eek:

Mr Pig
10-03-2011, 19:24
My system doesn't pick up anything like that. We've got two wireless routers in the house and they don't seem to interfere with anything.

My son's Hi-Fi is connected to his PC via a DAC and it buzzes every time his phone receives a text.

Alex_UK
10-03-2011, 19:41
Funny you should mention this, because I just moved my wireless router into the living room, but before doing so permanently, tried it temporarily - and, also switched it all down for a couple of hours. I could notice no difference at all. That's not to say it couldn't cause problems, but in my system it doesn't. At the frequencies which wifi operates* I think it is unlikely to be a problem, but I'm no expert. (* 2.4Ghz from memory.)

magiccarpetride
10-03-2011, 19:54
Possibly yes ;) I certainly know that mobile phones sure as hell do, damn things are a nuisance :eek:

You mean when they ring, or in general?

Reid Malenfant
10-03-2011, 20:03
I'm not sure if you know how mobiles work, i'm pretty sure i don't fully that's for sure. Every so often the base station/s will contact the mobile & get the mobile to reciprocate, at this point the mobile will be intsructed to either increase or decrease it's transmitted power output depending on whether the base stations are receiving a strong or weak signal...

I really can't remember how many times i have heard the bleepy bleep thing come though my stereo system, it's bloody annoying :steam: Usually only happens when a friend who has a mobile switched on is in my house, however i had to laugh to myself when at the Scalford show on Sunday as i heard the same crap come though one of the systems on display.. Only took a second to realise what was going on :eyebrows:

When not ringing for your information ;)

Alex_UK
10-03-2011, 20:24
When not ringing for your infomation ;)

That's true, but if you've got kit that is susceptible, it goes freaking nuts when a call or text does come in - must admit I've only ever personally experienced it with cheap portables or really crappy midi systems and the like, (like your system Mark :D) - but it can be quite unnerving!

Reid Malenfant
10-03-2011, 20:29
must admit I've only ever personally experienced it with cheap portables or really crappy midi systems and the like, (like your system Mark :D)

Beechwoods
10-03-2011, 20:40
I don't have any problems with my systems and mobiles / wi-fi but what Mark says leads me to another thing, which is one of the reasons why mobiles aren't yet allowed on inside aeroplanes... because their power output / interference increases the further away from a receiver they get. Those airlines testing mobiles onboard planes are looking at 'mini-towers' onboard the plane itself, to ensure that mobiles can always connect via low-power, rather than by trying to handshake with a mast on the ground.

Sorry for the diversion, but I always found that quite interesting :rolleyes:

MartinT
10-03-2011, 21:07
No ill effects that I've ever noticed, and I have a powerful wireless-n router with larger MIMO aerials under the stairs and a wireless security cam in my music room.

Good observation, Nick, I find that my mobile drains its battery a lot faster when I'm in a poor signal area (as I was for the last two days) compared with when I'm in a full signal strength 3G area.

goraman
10-03-2011, 22:18
It all depends on the RF rejection of your Hi Fi as a whole as well as each compnate.
Sheild everything if there is a problem, wifi is a pretty hi freq. so you should most likely be ok.

magiccarpetride
10-03-2011, 22:27
It all depends on the RF rejection of your Hi Fi as a whole as well as each compnate.
Sheild everything if there is a problem, wifi is a pretty hi freq. so you should most likely be ok.

Thanks for the advice. My main concern (not a big one) is with my Maggies. I've heard that these huge speakers can act as antennas, and pick up radio frequencies, thus delivering less quality sound than they're actually capable of. Some people are 'choking' their Maggies, but me being squeamish, I'd rather not. So, providing that home wi fi is not the offender, I think I'm staying put (I don't think I have other major RF sources in my hood).

StanleyB
11-03-2011, 09:42
What I have noticed on my wifi is that encrypted streaming is subject to more errors and has a different sound quality at times. So now I use a dual router set up. One is encrypted for normal use, and one is unencrypted for streaming purposes.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-03-2011, 10:05
I think I their was any major concern or evidence to say it might have a negative effect it would have more than likely been touted as an argument against wireless music streaming devices by now?? Unless it has and I have missed it??

On this side line of mobile phones, why is it that they cause so much more paranoia than other devices that send and receive stuff through the air ... All this brain tumour stuff and people wearing sieves for hats and making their houses in to faradays cages? What do mobiles do so differently than wifi and radios etc thy makes people worry so much? Just interested really?...

MartinT
11-03-2011, 10:10
Proximity of the mobile phone to the head.

The Vinyl Adventure
11-03-2011, 10:31
Ah yeah :doh: i did know that... Its just early morning for me at te mo (day off) But there is so much other stuff buzzing about in the air ... If your gonna worry about one thing then why not be worried about everything else ... I guess that's where the sieve hats come in ... Ignore me ... As you were :)

Mr Pig
11-03-2011, 15:35
Proximity of the mobile phone to the head.

Have you tried Jeremy Clarkson's car blipper trick? Walk away from the car until you're too far for the blipper to work. Now put the blipper to the side of your head and try it!

MartinT
11-03-2011, 15:52
No, I haven't :eek:

Mr Pig
11-03-2011, 16:03
No, I haven't

Try it. Freaks you out...