PDA

View Full Version : A Rather Rare Nagra Machine

Beechwoods
09-03-2011, 21:56
This little thing is slightly overpriced for the 'Bargains On Ebay' thread, but it's such an oddity I thought some of you might be interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nagra-JBR-PLAYBACK-T-SYSTEM-PS-1-RARE-COLLECTABLE-/180635505265

It's a Nagra JBR 'Playback' machine. The Nagra JBR was a variant on the Nagra SN (http://www.nagraaudio.com/pro/pages/products_nagra_sn.php) series of ⅛" tape miniature recorders; generally used in covert surveillance, but also occasionally in film recording (as an on-body recorder in the days before radio mics) and later, as an incredible feat of miniature hi-fi, the SNST-R (http://www.nagraaudio.com/highend/pages/productsSNSTR.php) which managed to achieve a frequency response of 50 Hz to 15 kHz ±2 dB at 3¾ ips using tape half the width of your typical reel to reel.

Anyway, the JBR variant of SN had a cartridge to hold the tape. The story goes that the US government commissioned that kind of functionality rather than having to mess with miniature open-reels. I've never seen a JBR recorder, but here we have on eBay a JBR playback machine. It looks fabulous. It was designed though to play back surveillance tape; so the objective was to make bad recordings sound good. While the SNST-R and SNN could record (in stereo, and mono respectively) at 3¾ ips, and achieve a hi-fi level of reproduction, most use of the systems for surveillance used 1⅞ ips or even 15/16ths of an inch per second... great for covert recordings left running for days, but not so good for hi-fi reproduction. When you compare the best the miniature Nagra can achieve with the best of compact cassette - 20 Hz to 20kHz ±2 dB at 1⅞ ips (my Nakamichi CR7) - it's more of a nice curiosity.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods/IMG_6883.jpg

I still want a Nagra SN though. Performance of the SNN and SNST-R are good enough for enjoyable hi-fi (FM equivalent) and they're just glorious examples of bygone engineering. It's the first thing I'll get when I win the lottery :)

Lodgesound
09-03-2011, 23:08
Rather beautiful to behold - that build quality & design are to die for..............

Check out the VPR 5 Nick - Nagra's only portable open reel broadcst video recorder...

Beechwoods
09-03-2011, 23:18
Thanks for the tip Stewart, I will! Open reel video is another fascination for me :whistle:

Did you make it to Scalford? I checked your room twice to say hello, but was thwarted on both occasions by a locked door! I hope nothing untoward happened?

Lodgesound
09-03-2011, 23:26
Hiya;

I did'nt make it unfortunately due to transport problems which I'm very disappointed about as it looks like a great time was had by all.

I don't think I'll be able to exhibit now as I sold my car and just have a SMART now - would love to have met you and Marco though...

Beechwoods
09-03-2011, 23:36
Nightmare! You did miss a good weekend. Don't let this stop you coming along as a visitor though. Or even as a co-exhibitor. My contribution to the AOS room this year was carried in in an over the shoulder carrier! Marco's I admit was a rather heftier contribution... ;)

Alex_UK
09-03-2011, 23:41
Shame you missed it Stewart. Mark (Reid Malenfant) and I did try and seek you out too, but met with the same locked door. Pity, as I was looking forward to saying "hi" and listening to your system, which looked very interesting on paper. Hopefully next year.

Lodgesound
09-03-2011, 23:53
By the way are either of you coming to the Park Inn in a couple of weeks? Horribly commercial in comparison I know but can be entertaining..

The Grand Wazoo
09-03-2011, 23:56
There are more controls on that than a full size 70's Japanese integrated amp & it's pocket sized! I love the lid that retains the cartridge, it's beautifully made.

Beechwoods
09-03-2011, 23:58
By the way are either of you coming to the Park Inn in a couple of weeks? Horribly commercial in comparison I know but can be entertaining..

I can't, unfortunately. I have to pick and choose my trips 'abroad' pretty carefully these days. I think some of the rest of the team might be though.

Alex_UK
10-03-2011, 00:20
I would have loved too, especially as I realised a day or two ago that Neil Dalek will be making the trip, but unfortunately I have a long-standing prior arrangement. Planning on doing Whittlebury though, as my "once in 6 months" pass-out! :lol:

Anyway, back to the Nagra... fascinating, and definitely looks like something Bourne would stuff down the throat of one of his adversaries!