PDA

View Full Version : BBC Radio 1 / target market and aged prejudice for and against

Neil McCauley
08-03-2011, 12:36
On the rare occasions where through a mistake I end up with BBC Radio 1, I am, without exception dismayed by the unattractive music, the vacuity of the commentators and the superficiality of the whole thing. BUT I do appreciate that I’m not in synch with any of this. Let’s for the moment ignore issues of fidelity, DAB versus FM and so on.

So what is their target market? Have the BBC reached that market? Does Radio 1 serve any useful purposes and finally, at my age (60 plus) should I really be concerned at all by any of this? Thanks. Regards, HP.

Stratmangler
08-03-2011, 12:56
So what is their target market? Have the BBC reached that market? Does Radio 1 serve any useful purposes and finally, at my age (60 plus) should I really be concerned at all by any of this? Thanks. Regards, HP.

In order .....

Yoof ?, probably not, no, and definitely not.:)

Reid Malenfant
08-03-2011, 12:57
<snip> Does Radio 1 serve any useful purposes
I don't listen to radio or watch television, but i can assure you that Chris Moyles certainly makes me wake up every morning & hurry to switch the clock radio off :eyebrows:

WAD62
08-03-2011, 13:38
I don't listen to radio or watch television, but i can assure you that Chris Moyles certainly makes me wake up every morning & hurry to switch the clock radio off :eyebrows:

Eeeuuughhh!!!, Moyles and his horrible little unfunny sycophantic breakfast bunch...:steam:

The whole station pioneers the dumbing down of Britain, I'm sure it only exists for the BBC to receive backhanders from record companies ;)

Spectral Morn
08-03-2011, 14:03
I must confess to feeling particularly turned off by Radio 1 for exactly the reasons Howard states. I am sure that there is some music played on the station that I would like but the inane drivel that passes for chat on it leaves me cold, frustrated and slightly depressed.

For me Radio 2 is my Radio 1 (as it closely resembles Radio 1 of my youth) as to other stations I regularly listen to, I particularly like Radio 4, the Jazz show on Radio 3 and a Dance music and Jazz show on a local radio (dance of Friday night and Jazz on Sunday night) station Radio Ulster.

These are listened to via an Accuphase T101 and Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth combination.

Regards D S D L

Beobloke
08-03-2011, 14:34
I have to say that I like Chris Moyles. He makes me laugh in the morning, which is all I require on my morning drive to work. Generally I stick to Radio 2 the rest of the day, although my patience with Steve 'the same over-scripted and not funny show for the last 20 years' Wright is wearing very thin.

The rest of Radio 1's output, however, including the dross that they pass off as music, is truly dire.

I like the snippets of Radio 6 that I have heard and the news that Radcliffe and Maconie are moving there in the afternoons next month will make it an essential listen. Sadly its lack of FM frequency allocation will minimise my chances of listening.

Reid Malenfant
08-03-2011, 14:39
Eeeuuughhh!!!, Moyles and his horrible little unfunny sycophantic breakfast bunch...:steam:
Exactly, if you can't stand something then it's an ideal wake up call as you just have to turn it off & very quickly :D

Zoidburg
08-03-2011, 14:49
Dont even get me started. With the exception of maybe sarah cox who i generally find quite funny I cant stand any of the current daytime DJs, Moyles especially so. At 35 the music mainly seems terrible and worse is that the same songs are repeated at least 4 or 5 times a day (if you can manage a whole days listening!).

Alex_UK
08-03-2011, 15:12
Giles Peterson at 2am tomorrow is pretty good. :)

WAD62
08-03-2011, 16:25
Giles Peterson at 2am tomorrow is pretty good. :)

The one exception that proves the rule, perhaps :)

Good of the BBC to give him such an accessible slot :doh:

He was excellent at the big chill last summer... :cool::cool::cool:

WAD62
08-03-2011, 16:29
Exactly, if you can't stand something then it's an ideal wake up call as you just have to turn it off & very quickly :D

I wouldn't subject my poor SqueezeBox to him, much prefer waking up to the ambient album I nodded off to...

Oh the joys of a FLAC library...sorry Mark couldn't resist :lolsign:

MartinT
08-03-2011, 16:34
Awful station with awful music. 99% of the time I find it unlistenable.

colinB
08-03-2011, 16:41
In order .....

Yoof ?, probably not, no, and definitely not.:)

Good sumation.
And yes why is the only good dj ( giles peterson ) on in the middle of the night.

I worry about the present goverments obsession with the bbc license but the bbc exec do need a good kick up the arse.

pwood
08-03-2011, 18:19
I used to listen to Radio 1 as my main channel in the afternoons as background on days off but when Jo and Edith got moved to weekends it seems to have gone more R&B and I canny be bothered with itmuch these days. I thought maybe being a bit older I should now be moving to Radio 2 but that is even worse with the worst of the old pish and nothing new of note for the most part. For my early shift George Bowie on Clyde 1 gets my vote.

Planet Rock is not to bad sometimes albeit does play a tad too much Prog Rock sometimes.

John
08-03-2011, 19:14
I am afried to say i given up on radio years ago, lots of other ways to hear music

Tim
09-03-2011, 20:47

Target market for Radio 1 listeners is 15 - 29 according to their radio service licence. So that puts me out by some margin :( Never listen to it, the only radio stations I listen to are BBC Radio 4, 6Music and Planet Rock. 6Music is I think exceptional for covering a broad selection of music and for discovering new bands.

..... and should you be concerned by any of this, hell no! ;)

Jac Hawk
09-03-2011, 21:07
I must confess to feeling particularly turned off by Radio 1 for exactly the reasons Howard states. I am sure that there is some music played on the station that I would like but the inane drivel that passes for chat on it leaves me cold, frustrated and slightly depressed.

For me Radio 2 is my Radio 1 (as it closely resembles Radio 1 of my youth)

yup i would go along with that:)

colinB
09-03-2011, 21:13
Target market for Radio 1 listeners is 15 - 29 according to their radio service licence. So that puts me out by some margin :( Never listen to it, the only radio stations I listen to are BBC Radio 4, 6Music and Planet Rock. 6Music is I think exceptional for covering a broad selection of music and for discovering new bands.

..... and should you be concerned by any of this, hell no! ;)

Agree. BBC 6 music is great. Pity its on pish DAB.

Alex_UK
09-03-2011, 21:41
Agree. BBC 6 music is great. Pity its on pish DAB.

Exactly - should really be an FM channel :( (Although it is on Sky (0120) and quality isn't bad, through a DAC at least...)

colinB
09-03-2011, 21:55
Look forward to hearing it once i get my DAC. Thats if they dont decide to stop broadcasting freeview radio.

The Grand Wazoo
10-03-2011, 00:11
I've been recording some 6Music programmes on the Freeview box, then replaying them via my Accuphase' DAC straight into the R:R & I'm getting some pretty nice sounding results. Most nights there's some live nuggets that I'm glad to have a copy of.

Just tonight, for example, I've picked up:
Floyd — 'Fat Old Sun' & 'One Of These Days' from the BBC Paris Theatre in 1971

greenhomeelectronics
10-03-2011, 18:35
Interesting thread ( Hi Howard, I hope you are well). If there is one thing I can't bloody stand it is Steve sodding Wright announcing that yet another person has written in to say what a great show it is. No other DJ does this. I hate Radio one, I am an old git so I have the right to hate what I like, I choose to hate radio one above all else.
I have to say that I grew up with Capital radio, which I now also hate. They have it on in the garage next door to us. It is so bloody repetitive it makes my blood boil. The utter, utter crap that gets played 40 times a day defies belief.
I think that radio stations have largely forgotten that radio should be as much about entertainment as it is about music.I don't often rant so please accept my apologies if this is a low quality rant - I hope to improve with practice:)

colinB
10-03-2011, 19:41
If you havent tried bbc6 music you should give it a go. Reminds me of how radio used to be good.

Neil McCauley
10-03-2011, 19:43
Interesting thread ( Hi Howard, I hope you are well). If there is one thing I can't bloody stand it is Steve sodding Wright announcing that yet another person has written in to say what a great show it is. No other DJ does this. I hate Radio one, I am an old git so I have the right to hate what I like, I choose to hate radio one above all else.
I have to say that I grew up with Capital radio, which I now also hate. They have it on in the garage next door to us. It is so bloody repetitive it makes my blood boil. The utter, utter crap that gets played 40 times a day defies belief.
I think that radio stations have largely forgotten that radio should be as much about entertainment as it is about music.I don't often rant so please accept my apologies if this is a low quality rant - I hope to improve with practice:)

Nope. All in all a damn good rant I feel. With ranting, practice makes purrfect it seems. Mr A Hitler, J. Stalin and others are I feel good evidence of this. As for me, I have rarely in 35 years received more musical joy than the Radio 3 via my Trio KT-917. It really didn't matter which system. Having said this, at heart I'm a Blues man and a rock man. But in terms of sheer musical reality, credibility, compulsion and quality a live Radio 3 BBC broadcast does it every time. Feeling pretty good as I am, I think a few measures of Jim Beam tonight while listening through a rather wonderful pair of Paul Burton prototype speakers (never went into production) beckons. Meanwhile, what's happened to PB. Seems to be off the radar screen.

Covenant
10-03-2011, 20:09
I am afried to say i given up on radio years ago, lots of other ways to hear music

Pleeease give internet radio a try if you haven't already. Over 10,000 stations, a lot, admittedly at a low bitrate but some excellent quality ones too. Radio Paradise is good quality as is Linn Radio.
I would say I listen to more radio than albums.