PDA

View Full Version : What gives?

magiccarpetride
07-03-2011, 19:35
As some of you might recall, I've been recently auditioning high wattage power amps. The reason I'm exploring that area is my Maggies, who are extremely inefficient, and thus power hungry speakers. People in the know have advised me to consider feeding them more wattage in order to achieve larger headroom which should, in their opinion, make the Maggies sing better even during very quiet passages. Supposedly, high wattage amps will be straining less to drive Maggies, which should result in a more relaxed, pleasant presentation.

One thing left me completely dumbfounded, and I was hoping someone would be able to clarify this for me: I'm using DPA 200s separates for my amplification. This power amp is rated at 40 watts per channel. When I crank the volume up to 10:00, 10:30 am, I get it plenty loud. Going higher than that, say to 11:00 - 11:30 am, would mean that the music is playing very loud. Pushing it over 12:00 noon results in a volume where it's getting to be quite uncomfortable, as the windows, doors and even walls start shaking and trembling.

This being the case, I was shocked to see that, in order to achieve the same loudness with those 500 watts per channel beasts, I would have to push them all the way up to 3:00 pm, which is almost double the volume I'm using now.

Intuitively, I would expect the opposite to hold true; if I'm using a 40 watts per channel amp at 10:00 am to achieve decent volume, using a ten times more powerful amp should get me to the same loudness if I place the dial much lower, say below 8:00 am.

What's in this math am I getting wrong?

John
07-03-2011, 19:56
I would tend to say its about the quallity of those watts

Reid Malenfant
07-03-2011, 20:16
This being the case, I was shocked to see that, in order to achieve the same loudness with those 500 watts per channel beasts, I would have to push them all the way up to 3:00 pm, which is almost double the volume I'm using now.

Intuitively, I would expect the opposite to hold true; if I'm using a 40 watts per channel amp at 10:00 am to achieve decent volume, using a ten times more powerful amp should get me to the same loudness if I place the dial much lower, say below 8:00 am.

What's in this math am I getting wrong?
It all depends on the power amplifiers sensitivity Alex ;) Some Quad power amplifiers are stuffing out nearly 45 - 50W per channel with a 0.3V input where as a big Krell would only produce 9W with that amount of voltage drive as it requires over 2.5V for full drive unlike the Quads 0.3V...

In other words don't go on where the volume control is set as it's in no way an indicator of actual power fed to the speaker ;)

magiccarpetride
08-03-2011, 17:41
I would tend to say its about the quallity of those watts

Right, right. My DPA is pushing UK watts, while the other amps are pushing Chinese/Taiwanese watts.

goraman
10-03-2011, 05:13
These will awaken those Maggies.

http://www.manley.com/neo500.php

magiccarpetride
10-03-2011, 17:48
These will awaken those Maggies.

http://www.manley.com/neo500.php

Only $14,000! Finally the day has come when we lived to see a good bargain in hi fi. My Visa is already in my hand, I'm ordering as I type this!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

anthonyTD
10-03-2011, 17:55
hi Alex,
as Mark said, its about the set sensitivity of the power amp, ie; how much signal voltage it needs for a given [watts] output.
Anthony,TD...

colinB
10-03-2011, 18:26
My 60w amp is louder than a 100w i owned but i thought that was because it is higher current.