PDA

View Full Version : We and my dad just bought another Pye HF10 Mozart Valve Amp

dantheman91
04-03-2011, 14:04
Hey,

We just bought a very old radiogram with suprise suprise a Pye HF10 Mozart Valve amp with a garrard AP 76 turntable and a bargin price of £40 i think the guy was rich because he was driving a bentley and has a ferrari in his garage
i cant wait to try this baby out shame we sold the other one we had :steam:

Rare Bird
04-03-2011, 19:07
Hey,

We just bought a very old radiogram with suprise suprise a Pye HF10 Mozart Valve amp with a garrard AP 76 turntable and a bargin price of £40 i think the guy was rich because he was driving a bentley and has a ferrari in his garage
i cant wait to try this baby out shame we sold the other one we had :steam:

Pye 'HF-25' are one of my fav vintage tube amps.. :eyebrows:

Marco
04-03-2011, 19:45
That's a fabulous amp, Dan! All Pye stuff was superb quality. Enjoy! :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
04-03-2011, 20:03
I totally love vintage tube amps (British ones), but could never use one :(

Lowther:Linear 16. :eyebrows:

Welder
04-03-2011, 20:49
No chance of getting the Bently for the £40 then…:eyebrows:

SPS
04-03-2011, 21:50
Nice one,
i had (it's now with my lad) a hfs20, the stereo version of yours.
its a very nice amp.

when i got it I changed the coupling caps to audio note coppers along with all the preamps caps, put a stepped attenuator in, and zero'ed all the tone controls with resistors (so it could be put back..)
it was transformed.. i took it into the local hi fi shop.. and to better it, the amps where close to 3K ..that was in the late 90's

its still going strong and sounding very well. on the original output valves..
as far as i can tell. and 9 watts is a big amp in my books..:)

TheMooN
06-07-2013, 14:17
I am intent upon MOT'ing my pair this week , might have a play around with V-Caps or perhaps Duelund Alexander's ~

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/Tsushima1/ResizeofYF025_zpsaa39f3dd.jpg

DSJR
06-07-2013, 20:12
Before you condemn the AP76 to the tidy tip, I'd advise you to have a go with servicing it and fitting something like a AT120E or cheaper, an AT95E or Rega Carbon. Once it's been de-gunked, especially on the speed change mech and trip-pawls and fitted with a cheap cork mat (Chizzwizard does a great cheap one on fleabay which I use), it can sound very satsfying indeed and not too rumbly either :)

Lovely amp by the way, but you knew that already :respect:

Rare Bird
06-07-2013, 22:27
Ah Roger i just chucked my muck :bonk:

TheMooN
07-07-2013, 11:09
Ah Roger i just chucked my muck :bonk:

Eawwwww !

You might like this one as well Andre , Pf91's the HF25's slightly older Sibling , these are also on the list of things that never get done .

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/Tsushima1/PF91-.jpg

Rare Bird
07-07-2013, 11:14
aye loverly arnt they. Does that Croft 'Super Micro' go ok with em?

DSJR
07-07-2013, 12:44
The only Pye valve amp I have any experience of is the one in my old Black Box record player. Actually, it's way removed from the very basic stuff Dansette put in their record players, since the Pye has proper mains and output transformers, 8W output with some 'loudness' compensation to the volume and when it was working properly the whole thing had a gorgeous silky sound on 78's playback. I'll have to inflict it on Anthony TD one day for a good fettling :)

Not sure what happened to Pye as time went on, but they seemed to all but abandon the higher-fi end of the market and sort of disappeared after the early 70's music-centre thing they did (also called a Black Box IIRC). The record company went tits up too a few years later I recall.....

Macca
07-07-2013, 12:56
Not sure what happened to Pye as time went on, but they seemed to all but abandon the higher-fi end of the market and sort of disappeared after the early 70's music-centre thing they did (also called a Black Box IIRC). The record company went tits up too a few years later I recall.....

They were a part of Phillips at some point. You could still buy Pye branded midi-systems into the late 'eighties.

TheMooN
08-07-2013, 15:14
aye loverly arnt they. Does that Croft 'Super Micro' go ok with em?

Apologies for the Tardy reply Andre , It's been a while since I heard that particular combo , the Croft belongs to a friend and fellow PYE enthusiast and twas running at a get together a while back.
From memory they performed well enough together , the pots were ever a PITA tho. I suspect that he runs the Croft in concert with his own PF's in the main because of a pleasing colour match !

TheMooN
09-07-2013, 13:58
And another under the hood of the 'As Factory' spare PF91 showing PYE's very well thought out and implemented wiring loom .

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w220/Tsushima1/P10002341_zps54b1ac32.jpg