PDA

View Full Version : Stan's PSU spike and noise buster

Krisbee
03-03-2011, 10:25
Buried in this thread http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=186539 is the news that Mr.B is working on a PSU “spike and noise buster”.

Those with the know how and/or cash have gone down the linear PSU in pursuit of a better alternative to the stock TC-7520/Caiman SMPS, while Mr.B has suggested a Maplin CB radio PSU that can be fiddled to give a 15V DC output for use with the Caiman.

Personally, I think the Maplin supply is pig ugly, bulky, and has to be opened up and a trim pot adjusted. Not everyone has a multimeter to check the adjusted output and I wonder about its energy efficiency for all day usage

If Mr.B produces a little black box to go between stock SMPS and DAC that performs at least as well, if not better than the Maplin PSU, then I for one would prefer this.

I'd like to think there are will be enough interest amongst users of his DACs for Mr.B to bring this idea to fruition.

Covenant
03-03-2011, 11:41
I think its a great idea. As Stan has pointed out, it doesn't matter how the power supply works so long as the ripple rejection is right. Having invested in a home made linear supply I know it does make a big difference but it was only through the kindness and knowledge of an AOS member that I was able to obtain it.
Making something readily accessible for everyone has got to be the right route.

Maximum
03-03-2011, 16:36
I tested my maplin psu recently and its giving out almost bang on 15V. Something like 15.02.