PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Mullard M8137 or CV4004

selfaddict
03-03-2011, 09:51
I recently received a 'box of magic' dual phono stage from Nick. I have been testing several NOS and new production valves on it and found a real killer combination, nearly.

I would like to try Mullards and get a little more 'warmth' and musicality to my system. Currently have NOS Tesla E83CC (Marcos favourites ;) ). Teslas are ruthlessly revealing and lovely, BUT I want to see what the top of Mullard ECC83 can do in my system :) just to put my mind in rest basically.

Marco
03-03-2011, 13:10
Hi Juha,

I'd send a PM to Steve Shiels, who posts here as 'SPS'. He's got loads of NOS valves, some of which may be what you're looking for :)

Yes, the Teslas are very good, but you're quite right to try others, particularly the better Mullards, as with tube-rolling it's all about finding the right 'recipe' with your own gear.

From experience, the Mullards should add a little warmth and a more expansive soundstage, although with perhaps some more 'grit' at the top-end.

They definitely have more of a sonic signature than the Teslas, which as you say, are more about detail and insight, which 'marries' better with the presentation of my Croft preamp.

Good luck! :cool:

Marco.

The Black Adder
03-03-2011, 14:17
CVC has the M8137 (CV4004) in stock at £40 each. I've just had one replaced. They don't have many left though.

Sound wise... Fookin lovely!

Marco
03-03-2011, 14:37
What/where is CVC? Linky please! :)

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
03-03-2011, 14:45
Looks like this is Marco (http://www.chelmervalve.co.uk/index.htm) ;)

Marco
03-03-2011, 14:48
Yup, cheers - just sussed Joe meant Chelmer! It didn't click before with 'CVC' :doh:

Their on-line shop seems to be fooked, though....

Marco.

Clive
03-03-2011, 15:04
The other thing you can do is to upgrade to Bastanis Chystal drivers, this gives a richer sound. Of course this even more expensive than NOS Mullards.

The Black Adder
03-03-2011, 15:51
Yeah, online shop isn't up to much.. just give them a ring.. Very helpful.

CVC (Chelmar Valve Company) Cheers Mark for posting the link for him... :)

The Black Adder
03-03-2011, 15:55
I recently received a 'box of magic' dual phono stage from Nick. I have been testing several NOS and new production valves on it and found a real killer combination, nearly.

I would like to try Mullards and get a little more 'warmth' and musicality to my system. Currently have NOS Tesla E83CC (Marcos favourites ;) ). Teslas are ruthlessly revealing and lovely, BUT I want to see what the top of Mullard ECC83 can do in my system :) just to put my mind in rest basically.

Let us know how that baby sounds matey.. My Nick Gorham stage is now running NOS Mullard valves. 2x E88CC's and one E182CC - Sounds ruddy lovely!

selfaddict
03-03-2011, 18:28
Hi Juha,

I'd send a PM to Steve Shiels, who posts here as 'SPS'. He's got loads of NOS valves, some of which may be what you're looking for :)

Yes, the Teslas are very good, but you're quite right to try others, particularly the better Mullards, as with tube-rolling it's all about finding the right 'recipe' with your own gear.

From experience, the Mullards should add a little warmth and a more expansive soundstage, although with perhaps some more 'grit' at the top-end.

They definitely have more of a sonic signature than the Teslas, which as you say, are more about detail and insight, which 'marries' better with the presentation of my Croft preamp.

Good luck! :cool:

Marco.

Hi Marco and thanks for sending PM to Steve, just need to wait his reply.

I totally agree with you. Teslas are the clearest ECC83 I have heard. I managed to get 6 in a fairly good price from Slovakia. Seller wrote to me that the valves came from a nuclear plant :eek:. So if they is any disasters in that region, please don't tell anyone please ;) But seriously I was happy because the valves were all original and genuine and tested 100%, so they were in deed NOS. Those 6 will last me a long time even if I use them in the phono stage and preamp, but I need to get those Mullards before I make up my mind. Only problem is that my current system has way too many valves :doh: and when I change one set of valves I need to compensate something on the other place. I have now decided to try get the right valves first to my new preamp and when this is sounding as I like, turn my attention to the phono stage. Diavolo is more or less sorted anyway what comes to the valves.

This Mullard warmth, what you described and a bit wider soundstage is exactly I am after, so we will see.

selfaddict
03-03-2011, 18:40
The other thing you can do is to upgrade to Bastanis Chystal drivers, this gives a richer sound. Of course this even more expensive than NOS Mullards.

Hi Clive.

The Crystals are definitely on my shopping list, but I need to get my second pair of Bastanis wideband drivers installed first and see/hear what happens. I bought them couple of weeks ago and I just need to take my router and make the opening for the second pair. This will 'upgrade' my speakers to Bastanis Atlas, so after this, and when I have the extra cash Crystals will replace the widebands, I am sure :). I have only heard positive comments about Robert's new drivers, so they must be really great.

selfaddict
03-03-2011, 18:47
Let us know how that baby sounds matey.. My Nick Gorham stage is now running NOS Mullard valves. 2x E88CC's and one E182CC - Sounds ruddy lovely!

I am planning to write something about Nick's dual phono for sure. I have had just so many changes in my system recently, that I need to get the sound just right with tube rolling and then I can truly appreciate his wonderful creation. But I am getting there, main thing is to have a solid plan and stick with it :lol:

Marco
03-03-2011, 19:20
Hi Juha,

Hi Marco and thanks for sending PM to Steve, just need to wait his reply.

I totally agree with you. Teslas are the clearest ECC83 I have heard. I managed to get 6 in a fairly good price from Slovakia. Seller wrote to me that the valves came from a nuclear plant :eek:. So if they is any disasters in that region, please don't tell anyone please ;) But seriously I was happy because the valves were all original and genuine and tested 100%, so they were in deed NOS. Those 6 will last me a long time even if I use them in the phono stage and preamp, but I need to get those Mullards before I make up my mind. Only problem is that my current system has way too many valves :doh: and when I change one set of valves I need to compensate something on the other place. I have now decided to try get the right valves first to my new preamp and when this is sounding as I like, turn my attention to the phono stage. Diavolo is more or less sorted anyway what comes to the valves.

This Mullard warmth, what you described and a bit wider soundstage is exactly I am after, so we will see.

No worries... But I haven't sent a PM to Steve, lol. You need to do that yourself. Re-read my post again, matey, and you'll see where you've misunderstood ;)

Marco.

selfaddict
03-03-2011, 19:32
Hi Juha,

No worries... But I haven't sent a PM to Steve, lol. You need to do that yourself. Re-read my post again, matey, and you'll see where you've misunderstood ;)

Marco.

Thanks Marco, I have PM'd Steve myself now.

:doh: Over and out.

Marco
03-03-2011, 19:35
No worries. Let us know how you get on :)

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
03-03-2011, 20:31
CVC (Chelmar Valve Company) Cheers Mark for posting the link for him... :)
No problem, i actually remember them advertising in Electronics World & Wireless World magazine so it kind of clicked ;)

The Black Adder
03-03-2011, 21:06
Hi Juha. Did you call CVC?

selfaddict
03-03-2011, 21:42
Hi Juha. Did you call CVC?

Hello and many thanks for the link. I did phone him and he had no M8137's in stock, so I need to check tomorrow if he has any CV4004. Could have asked that today :rolleyes: