PDA

View Full Version : Best Tracks for a Hi-Fi Show(-off!)

Beechwoods
28-02-2011, 19:31
How's about some ideas for tracks that would work well as 'wow' tracks - ones that demo your system and don't make people run for the hills because they're so avant-garde*!

This might help focus minds for Scalford, or just to hone that demo CD you might compile for when 'Hi-Fi know-all' Uncle Bob comes round at Christmas ;)

I was impressed when I heard this track in the speaker room at the Hi-Fi Subjectivist show. I think it was Lodgesound that put it on.

pLB0srsOtfw

* This one does get a bit exciting towards the end, but hopefully people'll be hooked by the point it all kicks in!

John
28-02-2011, 19:34
I really like that album Nick
Here is what I use to test out a system
http://open.spotify.com/user/gamalon/playlist/2LOAv7kumIaopxUOoZlSyr
Some of this you can actually play to others and some well.............Lol;)

Beechwoods
28-02-2011, 19:46
Nice compilation John!

If you know everyone has a high 'avant-garde' threshold, Bill Frisell's 'Hard Plains Drifter' sorts the men from the boys. Not on YouTube unfortunately.

http://open.spotify.com/track/1JVVVviX42otE7rcM8c8HP

Barry
28-02-2011, 19:48
I tend to be suspicious of 'impressive' tracks used to show-off/demonstrate a stereo system.

Just choose recordings that have been made using a simple microphone technique and are not compressed. Almost anything from the Naim label will do. Thereafter it's all a matter of taste!

Regards

John
28-02-2011, 19:49
I you not careful I post some John Zorn at his most experiential
By the way Bill is an awesome guitar player

John
28-02-2011, 19:50
I tend to be suspicious of 'impressive' tracks used to show-off/demonstrate a stereo system.

Just choose recordings that have been made using a simple microphone technique and are not compressed. Almost anything from the Naim label will do. Thereafter it's all a matter of taste!

Regards

I gues for me I am listening to different things on each track its about if it fits to all my demands Lol

Beechwoods
28-02-2011, 20:09

Regards

You're right to an extent Barry. I personally hate music played that has great technical merit, but no heart and soul. You tend to hear a lot of female jazz vocals at 'audio events' for some reason, and I enjoy how they sound, but I don't listen to a lot of that stuff myself, and a system has to be able to rock as well as to purr, so it's nice when you hear other stuff as well (and not just 'Brothers In Arms'!).

There's a place for both the well mic'd / simply recorded stuff, and the best of modern multi-track, assuming it's not been compressed to death, IMO. A system that holds the picture together when there are many different things going on, is just as important as one which stuns with the simple stuff.

Marco
28-02-2011, 21:09
Good point, Nick. I'll be bringing two or three boxes of vinyl and plenty of CDs, but bring plenty of your own music as well, and John, the same goes for you, dude.

Diverse and interesting stuff, please! :)

We want to have a good selection of music, which caters for all tastes, to demo the system with :cool:

Marco.

P.S Yes that Perfect Circle album is great. Also love Tool! :guitar:

Tim
28-02-2011, 21:24
A couple of very interesting things on those playlists - I had not heard of John Zorn before and I like it (I can feel my wallet coming out again!).

Just a thought, is there a collaborative AoS Spotify playlist? The last music forum I frequented had one, with some really good finds tucked away.

John Zorn sounds rather splendid through a Caiman and HD650's :)

John
28-02-2011, 21:27
Yes great drum track from my favourite John Zorn album
Something I enjoy but will test just how well the system will do drums
We have people posting links on AOS thread
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9548

Spectral Morn
28-02-2011, 21:39
Coal Train (Stimela) by Hugh Masekela

Regards D S D L

Tim
28-02-2011, 22:31
I really like that album Nick
Here is what I use to test out a system
http://open.spotify.com/user/gamalon/playlist/2LOAv7kumIaopxUOoZlSyr
Some of this you can actually play to others and some well.............Lol;)

Thanks so much for posting this Spotify link, I was a John Zorn virgin and have been playing him since you posted this - fantastic and what a repertoire!

:)