PDA

View Full Version : How do you light your viewing room?

colinB
28-02-2011, 12:49
One negative about my new bravia sreen compared to my old Philips is the fact it has a glossy screen as opposed to the matt one im used to.
This raises issues with lighting. The hallogen spots at the back of my rom show up on the screen.
With the lights of and the tv back light put to minimum i get the best impact but i find it a strain on the eyes.
I once thought about getting a new philips tv with ambi light but wasnt sure if it was for me.
Id like to hear what everybody else does with there cinema rooms.

MartinT
28-02-2011, 14:04
I have one uplighter at the rear-right of the room, which gives plenty of ambient light and no reflections on the screen of my Panasonic plasma TV mounted on the wall in front of me. You can also buy really nice LED uplighters which you can scatter as appropriate, again producing only indirect light from the ceiling. This kind of mood lighting looks good and keeps the overall brightness of the room subdued.

colinB
28-02-2011, 14:43
Thats given me an idea. Philips do this angled spherical led lamp for 40 quid called living colour. Using it behind the set might give me a similar effect of their ambilight technology.

Thing Fish
28-02-2011, 17:12
As I'm going through my retro phase at present I was after one of those 1940s wooden standard lamps like our grandparents had.

I found one on eBay for £20 (some command a lot more) and it now stand on my wooden floor looking all regal and well... retro.

It only illuminates from the top and bottom and sporting a mere 40w bulb gives off just the desired amount of light.

I too have a bravia and no light is seen on the screen.

Reid Malenfant
28-02-2011, 17:50
You might like to read this Colin (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9136) ;)

As it is at the moment i have a couple of table lamps, one on each front speaker with 15W CFLs in. If i'm going to seriously watch something they'll go off & the ambilight on the TV is on if watching the TV. If the projector is on i'll plug in a small table lamp near my seat for when i have to move about just so i can see where i'm going :eyebrows:

colinB
28-02-2011, 18:08
Whoa, missed that thread. Makes me wish i had bought a philips:doh:
One big reason to buy the bravia was syncing with the playstation and it doesnt even do that :doh::doh:

Ok mark ta. I will read it over a few times until it sinks in. Any recomended site that sell these lights ?

Reid Malenfant
28-02-2011, 18:13
Ok mark ta. I will read it over a few times until it sinks in. Any recomended site that sell these lights ?
Look on fleabay for 6500K tubes, 15W will be plenty ;) Here is one example, select what you want (6500K 863) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Energy-Saving-Mini-Spiral-Light-Bulbs-All-Watts-Colours-/280564766553?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&var=&hash=item870b6ddab8)

colinB
28-02-2011, 18:26
Oh. I was looking at tubes. So stick one in a lamp holder and wack it behind the tv?

Reid Malenfant
28-02-2011, 18:31
Yep, right behind & up against the back centre of the TV itself. I reckon the 11W one might do you, 20W will be too bright :cool:

colinB
28-02-2011, 19:34
Thanks Mark. Just ordered a lamp and bulb.:)

Reid Malenfant
28-02-2011, 19:41
No worries Colin, you'll be surprised at the difference it makes :) Not only will you get enough light into the room from the backlight to see what you are doing if you need to move about, but you'll also reduce eye strain.

Oddly the picture appears to improve due to this :scratch:

If it appears to be too bright then employ some kind of shade, you want about 10% of the full screen brightness of white.

colinB
28-02-2011, 19:46
Its a problem ive had since using flat screens so im looking forward to the results. When viewing in a fully lit room i have to whack the backlight up and end up with foggy blacks.

Jac Hawk
01-03-2011, 00:39
One negative about my new bravia sreen compared to my old Philips is the fact it has a glossy screen as opposed to the matt one im used to.
This raises issues with lighting. The hallogen spots at the back of my rom show up on the screen.
With the lights of and the tv back light put to minimum i get the best impact but i find it a strain on the eyes.
I once thought about getting a new philips tv with ambi light but wasnt sure if it was for me.
Id like to hear what everybody else does with there cinema rooms.

Got a philips 42' ambilight, i must say it's really good, mind you i have noticed the new philips sets have gloss screens too, mine is about 3 years old now and has the matt screen.

Lighting wise i use 1 lamp in the corner and the ambilight on a colour setting for normal use and the dynamic setting for films

Reid Malenfant
01-03-2011, 11:33
Got a philips 42' ambilight, i must say it's really good

Lighting wise i use 1 lamp in the corner and the ambilight on a colour setting for normal use and the dynamic setting for films
I like the ambilight as well but i have mine permanently set to as near 6500K as possible ;) Have a look at this site here (http://www.lottolab.org/articles/illusionsoflight.asp) & see how having the ambilight set to dynamic can trick your brain into seeing colours incorrectly :D

It's pretty astonishing how it can change your perception of things :eek:

colinB
02-03-2011, 19:15
Genius Mark. Got a ikea lamp of e bay and switched it on tonight.
Problem solved.

Reid Malenfant
02-03-2011, 19:28
:lolsign: I think not but i'm glad you are happy ;) I just learn by reading Colin, which is effectively what you've done after i posted about it :smoking:

Which CFL did you go for by the way? Was it the 11W tube?

colinB
02-03-2011, 19:37
I just have to upgrade my glasses now. These lenses are covered in scratches and in the dark its very noticeable.
My new system will have to wait until i have some new specs. :rolleyes:

colinB
02-03-2011, 19:42
Watching Natural world on bbc hd. Looks great despite the fact my aerial is a cheap reel of co axial coiled on the floor he he. Might have to address that one day.