+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ortofon SPU

Default Ortofon SPU

A lot of us worship the good old Ortofon SPU. It comes in many disguises but it is still the good old SPU in some way.

I had the fortune wisiting Robert Gudmandsen - the inventor of SPU - almost 15 years ago. It was at his home with his wife. An old man, but still eager to tell about his life with cartridges and music. I still remember when he pulled out one drawer after another and they all were filled with old SPU's and cartridges I have never even seen or heard about before.

It was after that experience I bough my SPU Gold, but since then I have listened to many of them. I have often felt tempted to buy one more - maybe the Meister or the Royal N so that it can be used with more "normal" arms.

Anyway this thread is also to answer Marco, who asked about my experience with SPU Gold with Fidelity Research FR64s on my Technics SP10 mkII.

Generally I would say that the deck and the cartridge are two opposites. The SPU is a bit bloated and lacks resolution in the low end. The same can be said about the top (sompared to top cartridges of the day), but at the same time it is soft, gentle and pure analogue. Where the SPU really sings is in the midrange. Playing opera or jazz is a pleasure beyound description. You quickly forget anything about the bottom and the top, and just enjoy!

Here comes the Technics SP10 mkII as a sort of "tank" - it has the force, the power and timing. In a way it is like a CD-player (positive). Nothing can disturb it and it gives the right conditions for the arm and the cartridge. But then again the SP10 is NOT a Garrard 301 or a Thorens TD 124. They are both very different "animals", with a much more gentle and holistic approach.

The the Fidelity Resarch FR64s. I have had a SME 3012, but find the FR64 better in many ways. Again we have some of the control and firmness. The FR64 was the only arm that I could use with my Decca Van den Hul cartridge. Itīs a bit the same with the SPU. When I said the SPU lacks a bit of resultion and firmness in the woofer-range the FR64 helps in this regard. I have also tried the new 12" Ortofon arm - a good arm - but not the same control and firmnes.

All in all I think the combination of SPU/FR/SP10 is very good. Anyway it is a different musical experience compared to what what I get playing with my other decks.

What are your experiences with the SPU?
    Last edited by Sound Image; 03-08-2008 at 13:12.
    Regards from Denmark
    Jan Nielsen

I'm steve.

very nice set up, and nice to see another fr64,
    I have the silver wired version
    mine is sat upon a orical delphi with a kieski blue screwed to it
    i have been thinking of transfering the arm and cartridge onto one of my idler drives... maybe the 301 or the thorens124
    so much to do... so little time

steve

I'm Guy.

Excellent write up Jan. I've always been fond of the SPU aswell despite its slight limitations at the frequency extremes. I once visited H Kondo at Audio Note who started in cartridges rebuilding tired SPU's for friends. I think some of what is in it inspired his Io design although there are also some significant differences too. But the SPU is really the grandfather and inspiration for almost all MC cartridges. I like your description of the SP10 too. Correctly mounted it just provides the perfect platform upon which an arm and cartridge can work optimally. I must admit that I'd also like to try one of the 12" FR's or an Ikeda. As SPS says, its finding the time to do it all.

Did you ever try the SL15? They seem to appear for sale occasionally too.

I'm Steve.

Default Re-awaken this one

I had not read this thread - I had the Royal N (for sale incidentally with very low miles on it) on my SL-1210 first. Then got a SP-10 in slate plinth.
    Tried a SME V 12 on it but it did not do it for me. Too calm and emotionless somehow.
    On both these decks I have been using a PL-71 (Acos) arm. This is a cheap looking little arm but it punches amazing well above it weight and has bags of grip and emotion in the music.

I finally came across a SPU Silver Meister and that was love at first hear.
    I built my own 12" which is good but the other evening I heard a FR64s on a Voyd with my Silver Meister - boy was that good. I know exactly what you were talking about - I am looking for the arm now.
    Nice to read your SPU works well with the SP-10 too. As you say it is about balance - I find the Silver Meister smooth, deep and yet detailed - a neat trick to pull of. Can't keep both hence the Royal N sale...
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 05-06-2010 at 12:44. Reason: corrected a few typos
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm ILOB.

Anyone hears a SPU against a Decca Jubilee
    Sounds like from what you described I will still head for a Decca
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Dave.

I think you will find the Jubilee is faster, cleaner and more extended top and bottom than the SPU which is warmer and more romantic.

I'm ILOB.

Yes I thought so I go for the Aliveness of the Jubilee for myself
    Cheers Dave
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Glad to read that the SPU has enjoyed some development over the decades. I'm still a Decca fan and owner though

My one shameful legacy was not liking the FR64 series because it is too heavy for the LP12 suspension (later springs may help here).. Hifi dave has one though and my opinion has very much changed now - they're too expensive now though

Don't care about a fully tricked out SL1200, which will cost thousands. the SP10 is the proper real-man's deck
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I agree with Dave on the matter of 1200s and Sp10s...although Im considering a 1200 project - but a techno DJ mate of mine thinks the whole 1210 upgrade issue is : 'wanky'

and imho, there are only three phonographic cartridge choices:

decca, denon103 variants, SPU.

BigMooG (Jonathan Stanley)
    He says: Decca is Better

Vinyl System: Superficial Engineering hell/p12 turntable (British Leyland suspension upgrade), Jack-a-nori semi mono Cartridge (tooth pick cantilever), STI Klynik XXX tonearm (rewired with Klimacs Kable ), intelligence quotient 161 (mensa) preamplifier with 224 NOS Ssangyong ECC88s and NOS North Korean kim-jong-ill GZ34s, barelyaudible research V.P.L. dual quad mono amplifiers with modified circuit boards (MDF), Gilson W.A.L.L.O.P Ultimate Final V2 loudspeakers, uranium cable loom (mercury vapour upgrade), hysterical research and Dr Mike Amera room treatments-flock wallpaper, yergota bee-joking cryofrozen fuses throughout

Digital system: cd player

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Image View Post
    A lot of us worship the good old Ortofon SPU. It comes in many disguises but it is still the good old SPU in some way.

I had the fortune wisiting Robert Gudmandsen - the inventor of SPU - almost 15 years ago. It was at his home with his wife. An old man, but still eager to tell about his life with cartridges and music. I still remember when he pulled out one drawer after another and they all were filled with old SPU's and cartridges I have never even seen or heard about before.

It was after that experience I bough my SPU Gold, but since then I have listened to many of them. I have often felt tempted to buy one more - maybe the Meister or the Royal N so that it can be used with more "normal" arms.

Anyway this thread is also to answer Marco, who asked about my experience with SPU Gold with Fidelity Research FR64s on my Technics SP10 mkII.

Generally I would say that the deck and the cartridge are two opposites. The SPU is a bit bloated and lacks resolution in the low end. The same can be said about the top (sompared to top cartridges of the day), but at the same time it is soft, gentle and pure analogue. Where the SPU really sings is in the midrange. Playing opera or jazz is a pleasure beyound description. You quickly forget anything about the bottom and the top, and just enjoy!

Here comes the Technics SP10 mkII as a sort of "tank" - it has the force, the power and timing. In a way it is like a CD-player (positive). Nothing can disturb it and it gives the right conditions for the arm and the cartridge. But then again the SP10 is NOT a Garrard 301 or a Thorens TD 124. They are both very different "animals", with a much more gentle and holistic approach.

The the Fidelity Resarch FR64s. I have had a SME 3012, but find the FR64 better in many ways. Again we have some of the control and firmness. The FR64 was the only arm that I could use with my Decca Van den Hul cartridge. Itīs a bit the same with the SPU. When I said the SPU lacks a bit of resultion and firmness in the woofer-range the FR64 helps in this regard. I have also tried the new 12" Ortofon arm - a good arm - but not the same control and firmnes.

All in all I think the combination of SPU/FR/SP10 is very good. Anyway it is a different musical experience compared to what what I get playing with my other decks.

What are your experiences with the SPU?

what a lovely set up, superb

my experiences with SPUs have always been great...although I far prefer a decca
    BigMooG (Jonathan Stanley)
    He says: Decca is Better

Vinyl System: Superficial Engineering hell/p12 turntable (British Leyland suspension upgrade), Jack-a-nori semi mono Cartridge (tooth pick cantilever), STI Klynik XXX tonearm (rewired with Klimacs Kable ), intelligence quotient 161 (mensa) preamplifier with 224 NOS Ssangyong ECC88s and NOS North Korean kim-jong-ill GZ34s, barelyaudible research V.P.L. dual quad mono amplifiers with modified circuit boards (MDF), Gilson W.A.L.L.O.P Ultimate Final V2 loudspeakers, uranium cable loom (mercury vapour upgrade), hysterical research and Dr Mike Amera room treatments-flock wallpaper, yergota bee-joking cryofrozen fuses throughout

Digital system: cd player

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast