+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dynaudio activation project ... Constant support required :)

I'm David.

Default Dynaudio activation project ... Constant support required :)

Ok, so this is what I have been up to so far

Before and after

I have a question though ...with the passive xovers in the black socket on the back of the speaker appears to be connected to the positive on the tweeter and the negative on the woofer...

Am I goin crazy or being an idiot or what?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I have a question though ...with the passive xovers in the black socket on the back of the speaker appears to be connected to the positive on the tweeter and the negative on the woofer...

Am I goin crazy or being an idiot or what?
    That'll more than likely be a 12Db/octave crossover of the passive variety, in which case you need to reverse the connections to the tweeter to get things in phase 18Db/octave can also do the same thing, it depends to a certain extent on time alignment
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm David.

So when I wired the speaker terminals directly to the drivers I did the right thing connecting positive to positive on both drivers?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

This depends on the active crossover used If it happens to be 24Db/octave Linkwitz Riley then yes, you'd want positive to positive on all drivers. If the crossover happens to be 12Db/octave then wire them back to front on one driver only. The tweeter is the obvious choice so as to keep bass/mid frequencies in phase (rather than reversed) & also the tweeter...

You need to know what the active crossover does in reality
    Bests, Mark

I'm David.

This will be te crossover

http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/ac22bdat.pdf

Cheers for the help buddy

I'm Steve.

Looking good Hamish! I am still trying to engineer a visit btw..

Steve
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Wire the bass & tweeter positive to positive, you have a 24Db/octave crossover there I'd suggest you even think about lowering the xover frequency from whatever the standard is on your speakers to about 1.5Khz

Because of the really steep cutoff of a 24Db/octave filter there should be no problems feeding 1.5Khz to the tweeter I did the same thing with an MTM arangement using Audax bass mids & a Focal Kevlar tweeter, it sounded glorious & you just wouldn't believe the volume level they'd produce
    Bests, Mark

I'm David.

Cheers steve! ... I'm getting into this diy hifi stuff!

Oh and Paul ... If your still out there ... I'm doing it with all the wrong tools! I used a hammer and screwdriver to prise the glued down original back panels!!

Good news! I'm doing this now so we can get it up and running whilst you are here if you do manage to get down!
    Last edited by The Vinyl Adventure; 11-11-2010 at 09:39.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Wire the bass & tweeter positive to positive, you have a 24Db/octave crossover there I'd suggest you even think about lowering the xover frequency from whatever the standard is on your speakers to about 1.5Khz

Because of the really steep cutoff of a 24Db/octave filter there should be no problems feeding 1.5Khz to the tweeter I did the same thing with an MTM arangement using Audax bass mids & a Focal Kevlar tweeter, it sounded glorious & you just wouldn't believe the volume level they'd produce
    Cheers mark! Good stuff, I'm on the right track then!
    The dyns xover point is 1.6khz ... I was going to just experiment a bit I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Cheers mark! Good stuff, I'm on the right track then!
    The dyns xover point is 1.6khz ... I was going to just experiment a bit I think...
    If you are 100% sure about the crossover frequency on the standard passive xover at 12Db/octave i'd be tempted to lower it again going active

If it's 1.6Khz as you say then i'd be interested to see what it sounds like with a 24Db/octave at 1Khz You'll be protecting the tweeter more (because of the rapid rolloff) & allow the tweeter to do more of the more intricate work that the bass/mid will mess up due to breakup modes

I think the world might be your oyster
    Bests, Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast