+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goldring GL75 Transcription Turntable

I'm Santosh.

Default Goldring GL75 Transcription Turntable

Hi
    I have a few LP collection and never had a truntable and dont know much about it. One guy is selling Goldring GL75 and said it is around 30yrs old and in working condition with cartridges. The asking price is £400.
    Could anyone tell me how much it is worth and is it a good player and worth the money

Thanks in advance

I'm ILOB.

Seems pretty expensive to me can you give us more details like what arm and plinth
    The lenco 75 is all about potential in the DIY community it is seen as a giant killer and for good reason with a bit of time and effort its very capable I heard a few done up with good plinths and arms and they sounded pretty good Here a review I not heard the reference version and to me the review seems a bit OTT but gives you idea of what some people think
    http://www.high-endaudio.com/RECENT.html#Ref
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm ILOB.

Looking at ebay I say 120 max but sure you could find one for less
    God these have gone up in the last few years
    Dave is really knowledgable around the lenco so hopefully he be able to add more thoughts latter
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm Santosh.

Many thanks John. I have to ask the seller the questions and will come back to you.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Rob Holt bought my un-restored GL75 without plinth but with spare arm and a replacement set of "V" blocks for the arm for around £55 and I regarded that as a very good offer indeed.

Now the secret's out and the desirable Garrards and Thorens 124's etc are fetching insane money now, I daresay the dear old GL75 will now start to climb in value. It's a wonderful drive and the arm is good too if properly understood.

Me, I'd probably try to find a GL78 or even the very rare (in the UK) GL76 with "S" shaped jelco derived (?) tonearm.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ILOB.

I used to have a 78 only difference is the auto return mechanism on the 78
    Unless the deck is either slate or layered wood the cost is way over priced

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Ah, but the 78 has a superior sounding mat (not that there's much wrong with the 75's mat in fairness), the auto stop is very useful indeed as well and light in action despite being tank like from the 50's...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ILOB.

how could I forget the mat

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerto Audio View Post
    Hi
    One guy is selling Goldring GL75 and said it is around 30yrs old and in working condition with cartridges. The asking price is £400.
    Could anyone tell me how much it is worth and is it a good player and worth the money
    He's having a laugh! A good condition original GL75 is worth in the region of £100-£120 on a good day.

Unless any of those "cartridges" with it are Ortofon SPU's, I'd look elsewhere!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Nick.

It could always be a handcrafted pre-production prototype. I agree that £100 to £120 is the right price for a minter original GL75 at the moment.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast