+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any experience with "full range" single drivers?

Default Any experience with "full range" single drivers?

I want to add a near field system to the headphone system in my office. The speakers will be set up on my large desk, but I've been looking at small mini-monitor type speakers - 6, 6.5 inch woofers, that sort of thing. I have a few choices of amps, From a single-ended pentode 5-watter up to full digital, and far more power than will ever be needed for speakers just a few feet from my ears. The speakers are the question, and there are a ton of choices out there, and some absolutely great bargains in good-sounding small 2-way speakers.

The thing is, I'm a headphone geek and every time I listen to small two-ways in my price range (hundreds, not thousands), I miss the midrange purity and coherence of my Senns (I have some very well broken-in HD580s). I want that crossover-less purity floating out in the air in front of me, and that naturally leads to a lot of curiosity about full range drivers. I've been down this road before, and have even spoken to Eric Alexander, designer and builder of speakers called Tekton. But I've chickened out before, after thinking too much about the compromises inherent in such designs instead of the benefits.

Can anyone encourage or dissuade me? From direct personal experience? Or just tell me to shut up and buy the damn things and get it out of my system? This is almost a haunt. Or like a woman I can't get off my mind...well, until I sleep with her...

Tim
    Last edited by tfarney; 31-05-2008 at 02:47.

I'm Steve.

Ever thought about ADM9's ?

Sorry....

No really....I'm very sorry.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hehe...

Tim,

You need to talk to people like Lurcher, solid-state, SPS, and any of the hard-core D.I.Y guys, who will be able to help you with this one. I'm sure they'll be along soon to offer some advice

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nick.

Lots of options, but many of the ones I know and like are not exactly small boxes you would have on your desk, but things like the frugals and the metronomes can give great results.

http://www.frugal-horn.com/

If you can use a larger box, I personally like Scotts MLQW design

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/v...?t=286&start=0

For desktop speakers these spring to mind:

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html
    An amplifier is a musical instrument and not a measuring instrument.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I definitely like the Fonken standmounts, very cool looking and interesting ported design. When I first looked at the plans I thought they were sealed enclosures.

Oh do I need to get a shed with a bandsaw in it!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Thanks guys. I wasn't looking for plans our sources so much as some opinions on the sound and capabilities of this category of speaker. I followed on of your threads, through a link to "humble homead hifi," and found this description:

Listening impressions and remarks

I have a love and hate relationship with these speakers. When playing an intimate jazz trio, a Beethoven string quartet or solo vocals you nearly fall off your chair with amazement. Such openness, neutrality and an amazing sound stage with immense depth and width. Every thing can be pin-pointed in the virtual soundscape, every little sound, the turning of a page of sheet music, the breathing of the instrumentalists, its all there. But as soon as it gets a bit heavy (large orchestral works or complex jazz-rock) everything gets muddled up.
    I keep running into the same basic description of various single-driver systems. The first half is what attracts me. The second half has stopped me dead in my tracks a couple of times. I suppose what I need is elaboration. Or a listening experience.

This is for a near-field configuration, so a lot of volume won't be needed. I would, in fact, prefer speakers that will develop their full sound at moderate volume.

The first half of the description appeals to me because I listen to a lot of music that is pretty simple, straightforward and built largely around acoustic instruments and vocals -- 50s/60s jazz, Americana. I don't listen to classical or metal or fusion, but if the addition of a few extra electric instruments, layering of background vocals, sweetening with a bit of strings -- the sort of thing that is very common in popular music -- is going to drive single-drivers into the mud, even at moderate volume just a few feet from my ears, then they're probably not for me.

I don't expect them to be all things. I can always pop on the headphones when I want to listen to my Bruford-Wetton era King Crimson collection (in fact, my wife insists upon it). But if they can really only handle voices, acoustic instruments and a lightly-played drum kit, they're probably too limited for me.

Any words of wisdom?

Tim

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Well, I know it's still a bit of a DIY job, but you could purchase a used pair of mini monitors (say JBLs or something similar) from ebay and remove the main driver and crossover and replace it with a full range driver.

Mostly I think you'll find that full range driver speakers tend to be DIY. There's not a huge commercial demand for them although the likes of M&J Acoustics and Lowther make them but they're normally very large and very expensive.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Nick.

I think in reality you need to listen to a good full range setup. In reality, no, they are not at their best playing Wagner at loud volumn. But for just about everything else they can be wonderfull. Mo is using a pair of fruglehorns I built and he listen to a lot of trance and electronic music, and seems happy. And things like the Maravishnu Orchestra work just fine as long as you don't expect 110dB sound. For near field listening I think you should give it a try.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I would agree with Nick on this.I've heard several full-range speakers and I think they would suit you down to the ground given the type of music you listen to.If you're looking for a commercial design,try looking for a pair of used Adire,maybe the HE10 would suit you.AFAIK the company no longer exists,others may know more.I've not heard a pair myself,but have read good things about them.Might be worth a punt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast