+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Beresford Caiman

  1. #1
    Join Date: Nov 2009

    Posts: 8

    Default Beresford Caiman

    Hello

    Can any of the Caiman user tell me if the unit is suspectable to electrical noise/interference (fridge switching on etc). I am getting a random click (like a scratch on a record) in the right channel every so often (I would say at least once in a single song). It seems unlikely to be a fault due to its randomness but am not sure what it could be. I am reluctant to buy a mains conditioner as this may not fix the issue.

    Cheers for any thoughts

  2. #2

    Default

    Sounds like opamp instability, happened to me with certain opamps with 7520 with the caps cut.

  3. #3
    Join Date: Nov 2009

    Posts: 8

    Default

    If its looking like a possible issue with the unit I will contact the manufacturer

    Cheers

  4. #4
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: France

    Posts: 3,209
    I'm notAlone.

    Default

    Good idea. PM Stan (StanB) he will be helpful, I'm sure.
    Dimitri.

    In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

  5. #5
    Join Date: Jun 2009

    Location: Down Under

    Posts: 34

    Default

    Hey i got this issue as well. Its an intermittent thing that i want to troubleshoot myself but i havent got the time for it. Did you use yours with a computer as well?

    Please share your outcome as i am interested in what is causing it
    Cheers,
    Sonny

  6. #6
    Join Date: Nov 2009

    Posts: 8

    Default

    Hello

    I am using a PC. running Windows 7. I am outputing digital coax through a M-Audio 2496 soundcard. Listening is through a naim amp to a little dot IVse headphone amp and sen hd650s. Before emailing the manufacturer I was testing last night. I also borrowed a cd player.

    I found that when playing cds last night I was not able to reproduce the problem so if there was any cracking noise it was very quiet. Using the PC I found that at the start of every track there is a very faint crack as soon it started. Then every so often there was a audible crack. I unplugged everything to try my old DAC and nothing. I plugged everything back in and this time it didn't seem to want to replicate the problem after that. I was wondering if this was actually electrical noise coming from the PC as I am using coax and the Caiman is actually picking up every little sound. I must admit I am hearing things in the music which I never heard before (thats a good thing). I have ordered a cheap optical cable to plug into the motherboard just to see if the sound is illiminated.

  7. #7
    Join Date: Jun 2009

    Location: Down Under

    Posts: 34

    Default

    Yeah i got the same thing as you do. From the brief moments i connected the caiman to the CD player i believe i did not hear this 'tick' sound as well. This is why at first i did not suspect it was the dac's fault and i think its the computer/caiman combo.

    Currently i am using my laptop optical out straight to the caiman and i do hear this intermittent 'tick' once every 1-2 tracks. I'm suspecting its my laptop's problem but i've owned 2 dac's before the caiman that did not have this 'tick' problem. I got Vista on my laptop.

    I do hope its not a hardware fault and there is some easy fix on this cos otherwise i have to ship it back across the globe.

    I am tempted to change the opamp to see how it goes but if i do this then it would void the warranty so i think its best not to do it unless you are sure that dac is not faulty.
    Cheers,
    Sonny

  8. #8
    Join Date: Nov 2009

    Posts: 8

    Default

    I am going to have another play tonight but will wait until the optical cable is used before jumping to any conclussions. If I am still getting the problem will email Stan and ask for some advice.

    One thing I did do last night was changed the audio output on the PC. I'm at work at the moment so cannot remember exactly what it was but I had it set I think to 24 bit studio quality in the sound option in Control Panel. I changed that down to 16 bit CD quality. Please bear with me as I am no expert, so I may be highlighting irelevent options .

  9. #9
    Join Date: Mar 2009

    Location: Hemel Hempstead

    Posts: 1,074
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Guys I know from experience that the Beresford will output a sight click when the digital output is interupted briefly.

    In my case, I was getting it all the time when scrolling up and down menus on Apple TV because the ATV was sending 'click' for each Item I scrolled past. Unfortunately the digital output switched briefly on and off between each one causing a weird noise via the Beresford.

    All I had to do was disable the 'Menu Click' on ATV but this wouldn't help you.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  10. #10
    Join Date: Jul 2009

    Location: Hailing from sunny south east London

    Posts: 111

    Default

    If you're using the ASIO4ALL driver on your PC (a good idea anyway) it is strongly recommended that you turn off all Windows sounds, I imagine they might contribute to a similar problem.

    I also had this 'popping' problem when plugged in via USB, since I primarily use Coax / Optical SPDIF, this isn't an issue for me.
    Tom
    AKG K701, TC-7520 HPA/DAC, Yamaha RX-V396RDS, Some awful speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •