+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Records To Die For

Default Your 'Desert Island Discs'

What are some recordings you couldn't be without? I know I got a few. Bet you do too. What's the best of your library? You might say a word about why you couldn't be without them.
    Last edited by jimdgoulding; 26-01-2008 at 04:12.
    Hear your music, not your speakers

Perhaps I should start this off. I’m just weird, I think. Well, I got to have some blues, yo, and for that I’m gonna rely on Stevie Ray Vaughn‘s Couldn't Stand The Weather (remastered on Sony). Then would come jazz and I would have to include Art Blakey and The Jazz Messenger’s Free For All (Blue Note) and Coltrane’s The Impulse! Albums, Vol 1 (newly remastered from Verve). For the ladies, whom I love, I can’t resist the romantic music of Latin America (Women of the World- Putumayo World Music); a Linn recording of a British bird, Carol Kidd’s All My Tomorrow; and some Carmen McRae and Joni Mitchell. For large classical works, two huge, warm sounding recordings: Symphonic Dances (Rachmaninoff) on Athena Records (out of print, regrettably) and a Chesky recording of Bizet/Tchaikovsky performed by London’s own Royal Philharmonic (Charles Munch, Conductor). These on vinyl along with the Linn noted previously. Time to take a break. Rock and roll later. And you?
    Last edited by jimdgoulding; 30-01-2008 at 15:27.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

There's a few recordings that I'd find it hard to live without. In no particular order:

Air - All of their stuff. Can't go a day without listening to some of their fine music.

Enigma - MCMXC a.d. and Le Roi est mort, viva le Roi! Both wonderful, and I'll never tire of either.

Pet Shop Boys - Behaviour. Their finest album and a real record of 'my time' so to speak. I guess because its release coincided with me leaving high school and several formative experiences etc etc. Also personal friends which makes it even more important.

Art of Noise - The Ambient Collection. I know I go on about this album a lot, but it is superb and so musical. Genius stuff, no wonder they wrote the Krypton Factor theme - of which I have a copy in fact, boy did I have to pull some strings to find that.

Eusebe - Summertime Healing. Daft one hit wonder job, no matter how lonely I become (which is quite these days) this always cheers me up. As long as I know I have access to this track then I'm fine. Heaven forbid I should lose it!

Yello - Baby. Blistering continental synthesiser romp by the Swiss duo, superb music, alarmingly good quality recording and more unique than this planet.

George Michael - Older. Yes I know his latest release was white and slithered down the wall, but this is a superb album. Real grown up music, a cross between jazz and soft pop ballads, mastered to within a millimetre of a test CD.

Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet. One album then they seemed to disappear. Excellent in every way, thought provoking and religious without being a 'praise the lord' type of throat ramming. Quality recording and the lead vocalist is one powerful singer - but in a non-obvious way.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Elgar - Enigma Variations: Beautiful and powerful

Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element Part 1: My favourite band of all time, and currently my favourite album. Interesting, clever... just overall brilliance.

Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonatas: I enjoy listening to them nearly as much as I enjoy playing them.

Ayreon - 01011001:The latest album from Arjen Lucassen, and deceptively clever music that is just simply good music.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Ooh ooh ooh....

Bolero by Ravel, I have the one performed by the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra back in the late eighties.

Dramatic - as it should be!

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm BigBobJoylove.

And Erik Satie's Gnossienne (1-6) and Gymnopedies.

Wonderful, full of sadness.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm mad about that Satie collection, also, and based on your description of some of those other ones you love, I may have to check a few out!

Got The Pretenders on Nautilus half speed (desert island nominee). Saw them on their first US tour for two bucks (a single quid, I believe). Thru a beer on a guy cause he wouldn't sit the f*** down. Lucky for me, he did.

The SLITS rule!!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdgoulding View Post
    I'm mad about that Satie collection, also, and based on your description of some of those other ones you love, I may have to check a few out!

Got The Pretenders on Nautilus half speed (desert island nominee). Saw them on their first US tour for two bucks (a single quid, I believe). Thru a beer on a guy cause he wouldn't sit the f*** down. Lucky for me, he did.

The SLITS rule!!!!
    LOL!

Worth checking a few out if you like music to chill to.

A quid to see The Pretenders - cool!

Atacama SE24 stands

I love threads like this, a fantastic way to find new music(to me anyway). I have never heard of Air nor Yellow, got em both in my basket right now! Thanks!

Regards,
    John

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    There's a few recordings that I'd find it hard to live without. In no particular order:

Air - All of their stuff. Can't go a day without listening to some of their fine music.

Enigma - MCMXC a.d. and Le Roi est mort, viva le Roi! Both wonderful, and I'll never tire of either.
    I play the first 2 Enigmas a fair bit, especially on the Ipod whilst I'm working.. But I haven't played "Le Roi" for a long time.. so guess whats in the CDP

I listen to Air a fair bit as well, tho I haven't heard the new album, I tend to play Virgin Suicides the most, after Moon Safari, It's really quite a disturbing OST, sounds really creepy.. I finally got to watch the film for the first time last month, and it was nice to put it with the music.. but the music is much creepier on it's own..
    Add water... Makes It's own sauce! + Don't Do Rap.. Don't do Urrban.. Don't do Modern R&B and Don't Do Radio 1 cos it's all fecking SHITE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast