+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC

I'm Jerry.

Default Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC

I think this little dac has been mentioned before but it deserves a thread of its own. Why? Because it's absurdly cheap but sounds excellent. My only complaint is the short cable which reults in the dac ending up at the back of the computer somewhere.
    If your after a dac for a second system or a tight arse like me then grab one of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Pete.

Indeed, these little USB DACs are an outright bargain.

I've tried mine connected to a Squeezebox Touch via USB with the EDO applet and consider it to be an improvement over the onboard Squeezebox Touch DAC too.

I've got one of the larger Hifimediy Sabre DACs on the way which features an onboard mains transfomer but no USB input. I'll whack it inside an enclosure and connect it to the Touch via SPDIF and see how it sounds. If it sounds better than the USB Sabre DAC then I'll be very impressed indeed. Good buying for around $USD66 plus shipping.

The original USB Sabre DAC:

The newer USB Sabre DAC with enclosure, galvanic isolation on the USB input line and powered by an external power supply:

The larger Sabre DAC with no USB input but multiple coax/optical SPDIF inputs:

••• Logitech Squeezebox Touch > audio-gd NFB3(2014) w/ E9018 > fully recapped/restored Sansui AU-X701 and AU-719 > a healthy sprinkling of expectation bias > PMC GB1i speakers > Aurealis and Audio Principe cables •••

I'm Jerry.

When it arrives, please post your thoughts on the larger one Pete.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    When it arrives, please post your thoughts on the larger one Pete.
    I'd be very interested too Pete, particularly using it in conjunction with an SBTouch (EDO) as the source...does it need a hub? What about drivers etc.?

My other concern is the volume control, if I were to get one it would go into my kitchen setup between an SBTouch and a Mini-T, so ideally I'd want to bypass the volume control I suppose
    Cheers, Will

I'm Pete.

Ok, the DAC arrived yesterday!

It has four digital inputs (two coax and two optical) and a volume control. There are two sets of outputs - one which uses the volume control, and one which bypasses the volume control. I didn't worry about making the opening on the rear panel large enough for the optical inputs as I never intend using them.

The overall quality is pretty decent for the price, with good quality capacitors and components. I wish they had used a DIR9001 or WM8805 SPDIF receiver rather than the CS8416 because of the lower 50ps jitter vs 200ps for the CS receiver chip.

I also grabbed some nice RCA sockets for $6.50 delivered from A&B Systems in Hong Kong, along with an anodised aluminium knob (note to self... don't buy one knob when your DAC has provision for two knobs ) and a gloss black ABS plastic enclosure. I already had a fuse holder, fuse, power cord and cord grip in the spare parts bin. All up the total outlay is about $100.

Best of all, SHE WORKS! The green and yellow LEDs are a good sign. I will relocate the power, play and error LEDs to the front panel at some stage in future. I'll have a listen soon. I'm confident that it will surpass the onboard Squeezebox Touch DAC as the USB version sounds better when used with the EDO applet and the USB connection.

••• Logitech Squeezebox Touch > audio-gd NFB3(2014) w/ E9018 > fully recapped/restored Sansui AU-X701 and AU-719 > a healthy sprinkling of expectation bias > PMC GB1i speakers > Aurealis and Audio Principe cables •••

I'm Pete.

Ok, I'm slowly settling-down after my recent house move (oh how I hate moving house) and I've been doing some digging around regarding this DAC.

Thorsten L has bought one of these DACs to test, advising the there are are several aspects of this DAC which can be improved.

Firstly, a 200kohm resistor need to be added to the vacant R28 position on the PCB to ensure the DAC doesn't clip. Easily done! Hifimediy will most likely fit this resistor in future batches from what they've told me.

Secondly, the XO can be re-wired such that it interfaces with the ES9023 chip and reduces jitter, rather than being associated with the CS8416 receiver chip. A small SMD resistor (marked as R10 on the underside of the PCB) is removed between the clock output of the CS8416 chip and the MCLK input ES9023 DAC chip, breaking the link between the two. A small length of Cat5 cable is soldered into place between the output from the 24.576mhz XO and the MCLK input for the ES9023.

Thorsten L said that the DAC measured better after these tweaks, and my ears are inclined to believe him. The sound is cleaner, more detailed, and more relaxed.

For about $100 all-up, this is a pretty decent little DAC! I'm looking forward to undertaking some comparisons with other sub-$500 DACs in the coming week or two.

I'm Andrei.

Default Sabre Dac

Of course the DAC chip(s) used are not the only thing that makes for a quality DAC but - really now - who would buy a CD / SACD / BluRay player, or DAC that had a Wolfson or Burr Brown (or whatever) chip when they can have the real deal.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Pete.

The best DAC that I personally have owned (audio-gd Ref 5) had four TI/BB pcm1704uk chips, and this little Sabre DAC (which admittedly is only an entry level DAC) simply doesn't have the timbre and tone of the audio-gd. Likewise, I haven't been all that impressed with several ES9018-equipped DACs that I've heard. Bags of detail and resolution, but lacking something in the timbre/tone/realism department.

Still, my opinion may start to sway now that I'll be listening to a Sabre DAC for the immediate future. Time will tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Of course the DAC chip(s) used are not the only thing that makes for a quality DAC but - really now - who would buy a CD / SACD / BluRay player, or DAC that had a Wolfson or Burr Brown (or whatever) chip when they can have the real deal.
    What real deal are you on about?

I'm Andrei.

Default DAC

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    What real deal are you on about?
    Dacs or players with chips from ESS Technology. See http://www.esstech.com/?p=products_DAC
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast