+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USB Cables, your experience and opinion?

I'm Mike.

Default USB Cables, your experience and opinion?

Reason for asking is the review of an USB cable in the latest HiFi+ at an "uncomfortable" price level, namely £6,480!!!!

Alright, i have heard differences between USB cables, but that was when using a non asyncronous USB DAC. The cables were also of standard USB printer style, but one was about 1,5metres and the other was about 5metres.
    I actually thought something had gone wrong when the DAC was connected using the long cable?
    The soundstage collapsed completely, the resolution all but disappeared and the remains of what was previously the top end was now like chalk to a black board!
    This cable functions perfectly for transferring files and as a printer cable, even today, so it is not "defect".

So, in your experience, is it worth spending a couple of hundred pounds on an USB Audio cable?
    More than that is not relevant for me, but obviously some people have other prefs.

Regards //Mike
    Last edited by AlfaGTV; 10-01-2013 at 09:30. Reason: Clarifying post

I'm Keith.

No.
    Keith.
    Cessaro Horn Acoutics,David Wright ,Mola-Mola , Weiss MAN301,Dynavector XV1- Manger Loudspeakers Grimm Audio LS1,worlds best sounding loudspeaker.
    Mini DSP digital signal processing.
    www.puriteaudio.co.uk

I'm Neil.

I would have said no myself until I tried a few USB cables recently - with a USB DAC that is asyncronous.

I compared bog standard, a Belkin Gold, Wireworld Ultraviolet and then a Wireworld Starlight. There were marked improvements as one went upwards. I also found improvements when running the same quality of USB cable from the external hard drive to computer and then to the DAC but the improvement was not as big as from computer to DAC.

Not having heard many more USB cables I am not in a position to say that a crazy expensive USB does not offer more, but it might, but then one has to justify the price re performance gains.

Review here..... keep in mind my system, my music etc and your mileage may differ caveat.

http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com...les-do-matter/

I'm Simon.

I've never found any of them to make any difference with a decent dac, that said the Arcam Rdac was wildly affected by different usb cables, but then again it has 'zero' electrical isolation of the incoming 5v line which is unusual even in £10 eBay dacs.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Mike.

OK, so a "better" USB cable CAN make an improvement SQ wise...
    In most peoples opinion anyway!

@Dalek Supreme D L
    I am not familiar with the WireWorld range of products, care to elaborate on the cost of each cable i relation ot their SQ improvement?

Regards //Mike

I'm Brian.

I certainly wouldn't spend hundreds on a USB cable Mike , couldn't afford it anyway . But at around £45 - £50 I can certainly recommend the excellent Furutech Formula 2 . It's the best I've heard , and I've tried a few . Some cheaper some more expensive.

I'm Alex.

No, it is ridiculous to price a USB cable in the thousands - it just isn't possible to add that much value with one, either in material content or improvement to the SQ.

There can be a marginal difference going from a crap eBay 99p cable to something a bit better. I started with a well-made USB cable supplied with an external hard drive (fully shielded, decent connectors) to a Cardas USB lead costing £100+, and noticed no real difference at all.

I totally agree with Simon that the implementation of the Dac and ground, power and signal line isolation of the dac will very significantly affect the outcome. For up to 24/96 I would say that an optical USB1 full speed isolator will have a far greater effect, but again, the Dac design will predominate/limit.

Is there any need for +5v and Gnd connections for a USB lead to work?. If not, perhaps better to disconnect the USB host end, and let them float.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm John.

I have a Chord USB cable which is I believe about £60, I can hear very little if any difference over a standard Belkin cable.

I'm Hugo.

There is a comparison review of USB cables of different makes and lengths in the latest HiFi Critic, with some interesting results. I don't have the mag to hand, but it's worth reading.

If the USB lead has been designed according to the official specification then it will work as it should do But in many cases Chinese manufacturers are being asked to make the lead cheaper, which results in cost cutting measures. The final result is a lead that doesn't conform. The first sign of that is a slower transfer speed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast