+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone finished burning in their TC-7520 yet?

Default Anyone finished burning in their TC-7520 yet?

Anything to report that might be of interest?

I had one customer pass by with his K701 headphones. He said he never heard them sound so loud and with so much detail in the bass. But I knew that already. I got a set of K701 myself.

Stan

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    Anything to report that might be of interest?

I had one customer pass by with his K701 headphones. He said he never heard them sound so loud and with so much detail in the bass. But I knew that already. I got a set of K701 myself.

Stan
    Mine's been running about 20 hours so far. I had a listen last night when it had around 10 hours. Running from PC and a Meridian 588 (as a transport) it was definitely an improvement on the DAC in the Meridian 588 - this is a £2k player from just a few years ago. Two areas stood out for me:
    - Bass, deep, tight and detailed
    - Soundstage between the speakers - there's much more of it.

Overall it sounds more like playing records than CD. I'll listen some more over the weekend.

I'm Tyrone.

Default Very happy thus far!

Got mine this morning and these are my thoughts thus far:

Compared to the 7510 6/4 I purchased about a month ago, the sound has far more 'meat', a much tighter bottom end and more detail coming through, one tune in particular has a very discrete backing chorus line in the mix that on lesser systems makes it hard to concentrate on, with the 7520 and SR80's I found myself being able to 'look' at the chorus line in more detail than I have been able to previously, so much more in fact that I found myself hearing the main chorus as the backing track if that makes any sense. The 7510 has a slightly thinner sound in direct comparisons I have performed this evening, each instrument on the 7520 has more body and space, a fancy way of saying it conveys more information if you like.

The 7510 definately still has a place in the market tho, in fact if I already had the 7520 and needed an additional unit the 7510 would still be it, on a main system where the primary listening source will be loudspeakers it is still an excellent unit at a very low price, the 7520 has a USB port and a very good headphone section which suits my requirement perfectly while I am in my office.

The sound I am sure will mature a little more which is no bad thing. I also had some guys in the office where I work have a little listen, all agreed the sound was amazing, all of them were grinning ear to ear and tapping their feet along to Dire Straits and Eric Clapton and none of them wanted to give it back. All of them thought the 7520 cost me at least £400 on the strength of the sound and all were very surprised at how little it cost.

A while back I spent a lot of time looking into headphones for gaming on my pc, after hearing the GS1000's in action I figured that a good set of cans paired with good sound processing would give my ears the right amount of detail required to create a believable soundstage in game.

After listening to and dismissing lots of cans aimed at gamers with 5.1 and an array of other crap (If its aimed at gamers it is probably useless) I settled for the Grado's (SR80's) as they are sooooo revealing. My only source of amplification at this point was the headphone socket on the control pod of my Logitech Z-5500's and they did not sound anywhere near as good as they did on the amp in store so I had made my mind up at this stage that an amp would have to be purchased, the only problem was that I did not require all the functionality or size of an amp in my office so started Googling headphone amps which led me to the 7510, after setting it up I was immediately impressed at how much the sound had improved, definately night and day over both the headphone out on the X-FI card and the Z-5500's but also over the 7 year old DV717 player in my lounge. Playing Left4Dead through this combo had people calling me a cheat as I was shooting the enemy through walls based purely on what I could hear. Trying the same today with the 7520 was even more impressive, on busy sections of the game I can hear far more than I could previously which is fantastic.

I can also confirm that through the USB port the 7520 is recognised as a seperate sound card and can not utilise the processing of game/movie audio from any other sound card you have in your system, the Kernel Sound plugin for Foobar has also refused to output sound through the USB and so the digital ouput on your pc will have to be used if you are particular about the route your audio takes, I personally have not heard any difference in the sound from the USB compared to the Coax but I'm sure some might.

Another thing that impressed me was the fact the opamps are not soldered in place on the headphone section and can be upgraded if you so wish to go down this route, its not something I will do for a while as I am very happy with the sound as is. A number of electronics engineers where I work (Aerospace company) also commented on its well designed circuitry and upgrade options and the fact the headphone section looks as if it can be lifted out seperately for those who want to get your soldering irons out and upgrade caps etc.

As you have probably guessed I am very happy thus far!

Tyrone

I'm Peter.

Tyrone,

Brilliant review! I'm an old fart and it has never once occured to me that high quality sound would be of the slightest interest to gamers. A revelation.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.