• Not far of soul deep

1 10.00%
  • Big hitting soul

6 60.00%
  • Raw Soul Deep!

2 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 64: 23.10.2012 - James Carr - You've Got My Mind Messed Up (1966)

I'm Dean.

Default Album Club - Week 64: 23.10.2012 - James Carr - You've Got My Mind Messed Up (1966)

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Got_My_Mind_Messed_Up

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/track/5ipE6jA0unzsfp22Mcjk9P

Here is an album that some soul buff would but into their top 5, some their alltime favourite.

James had that raw soulful voice that made his singing sounded like his life depended on it. He was up there witth the big hitters like Otis Redding.

James was a bit of a tortured soul. He suffered from depression due to bipolar disorder. He never had the clout of a big label. He wasn't as strong and single-minded as others. He was unable to deal with the pressures from success, touring, and recording.

His early stuff chart on the RnB chart, with a number of tunes crossing over to the pop chart.

This album features of of his best work and shows he could have been talked about like Otis, Aretha, Wilson and others.

James was unknown to most until the mid 90s when he was featured in the book "Sweat Soul music". From their, Kent records aquired his back catalogue and released it for soul music fans. It was about this time I came across him. I love that raw deepness of soul singing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Got-My-M...1023146&sr=1-3
    Dean

There are only two types of music. Music I own and music I don't.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Excellent - thanks Dean. We don't get much mention of soul around these parts, and I for one am really looking forward to giving this a go! Top job.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

MartinT Guest

I'm listening to it now, Dean. Very soulful

I'm ChrisB.

Good choice, Dean.
    I'm going to enjoy listening to this one again. It has the first version of 'Dark End of the Street' that I ever heard.

I'm ILOB.

Looking forward to listing to this Dean, good to have a bit of classic soul on Album Club
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm ILOB.

Just had a listen
    Dean what the quality like on Vinyl
    I like the album and not sure just to get CD or the LP
    I given this a 10 Raw deep soul fits it well for me as you can hear the pain and suffering in his voice that just goes so deep in the soul
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

MartinT Guest

It's a really excellent listen. As I said earlier, it's soulful and Carr really sings from the heart. There is a great feeling of energy in these songs. 9/10 from me.

I'm Barry.

Off my radar this one, its pleasant to listen to ,the guy has a good voice, just not my thing I'm afraid. Soul lovers might give this a 9 or 10 but a 5 from me.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Wonderful! Maybe not quite up there with Otis but close enough. Utterly superb - 9/10.

Great choice Dean.
    Barry

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

This is a new album to me and I love it. Had it playing at work this afternoon and got another in the office to give it a go and he loves it too

Going to buy this one for sure and its a 9/10 from me.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast