+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi-fi, An important part of modern history!

I'm Steve.

Default Hi-fi, An important part of modern history!

It is only when you look back in the post second world war days that you realise just how important that Hi-Fi is to many of us and how much of a part in modern history and our heritage it is. From the golden age of radio through the advent of the vinyl records, tapes et al it has brought hours of joy to many people. The excitement of buying a piece of new equipment for many cannot be surpassed and becomes such an addiction that has yet to be fully recognised as a condition. Not quite in the alcohol are class A drugs but addictive nevertheless.
    It has been my experience in the past that it can set friends against one another, born of a bizarre form of predominantly male jelousy or cultivate friendship in total strangers with similar passions who simply want to compare their experiences etc. I have experienced both of these phenomenens myself having lost one friend to the oneupmanship disease and immersed totally in my hobby with another.
    I thought i would write this post to encourage some debate and just to see if anyone has experienced such situations. I can honestly say that my H-fi addiction has always been fueled by innovation and the tweaking and getting the best from your gear element of the past time as do the majority of my friends and collegues. However, i was bemused by one of my close friends whom i had known for many years found the need to upgrade his equipment on every occasion that i did my own always striving for the model above or so called top of the range in order to better my efforts. Such showing of the cocks feathers became too much to bare and we parted company. Yet on the other hand i have another close friend who in my opinion updates/grades his equipment for the purpose of enjoyment and pleasure.

Have any AOS members had similar experiences. It does really make you wonder why some people do upgrade. Discuss.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I think most here could find some common ground with that. In my case it was getting involved with DIY, valves, full range drivers and statics with folk on another forum. We have for the last several years got together usually twice a year for a weekend of all things DIY hi fi at a pub near Doncaster, and there are many more mini meets at various folk's houses. There's no one-upmanship involved at all, it's just a bunch of like minded nutters getting together to listen, drink beer and talk about all things audio. Much fun is had, and much beer is drunk!

synsei Guest

I enjoy the best cap for upgraditis that any audiophile can have, it's called available cash flow, or lack of it thereof. This kicked me into making some rather interesting choices involving the purchase of some of my kit which is generally below the radar. Having said that it has been a very enjoyable journey culminating in what I consider to be the best system I have ever owned, and it hasn't cost me a mint. Because almost all the components I have owned over the past two and a half years have either been sourced from the secondhand market or ebay it has been a challenge to come up with a system that suits my taste. I've been through quite a lot of equipment during this period but I am getting close to journeys end now. I have reached a point where, with good recordings, the system just disappears leaving the music behind. I have never experienced this before and it is exhilarating.

I've not lost any friends to the hobby but I have gained quite a few like-minded friends so that's a bonus. Jealousy and oneupmanship is a human trait that can manifest in many situations and those who are susceptible to it generally display it in all aspects of their life.

I'm Steve.

That sir is a breath of fresh air. Sounds great. That is what it should be all about.

+ Reply to Thread