+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC Equipment Sell Off

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

back to the auction - 4 days to go on many things and prices are already looking like you can find better bargains on eBay..

I've seen very nice LS5/9s on eBay sell for £750 and those in the auction are at £650 already which is £897 with 15% fee and then 20% VAT on top. £900 is a regular price on eBay for LS 5/9s and top dollar £1500 eBay price for them will be reached when bidding gets to £1100 which it might in 4 days time..

Not sure there will be any bargains any more than buying from eBay.

I'm stu.

I don't think they will be any bargains of the better quality stuff.

Expect to see most of the good stuff drip fed onto ebay over coming months/years.

Far east love a bit of BBC history.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

Seems to you have to give a deposit before you can bid over £200 too.

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
    I don't think they will be any bargains of the better quality stuff.

Expect to see most of the good stuff drip fed onto ebay over coming months/years.

Far east love a bit of BBC history.
    Not too sure there will be much profit to be had.

Remember watching an auction for liquidated Meridian gear from a bust dealer on a similar auction. Was straight on to eBay but knowing what they'd won it for I could see that profit was marginal and it didn't sell for over 6 months! Just tied up their cash in the end..

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

See how much those old powered Keith Monks speakers go for... Unkown to the great unwashed including me as I don't remember coming across the domestic passive "Elf" model, but apparently a cheap-n-cheerful sound which may mean rather good if set up in a domestic system on decent 20 - 24" stands and with a proper preamp able to drive remote amps.. loads of them so shouldn't fetch much???????
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Stewart.

Looking through some of these lots you can see that the bidders are mostly greedy folk who think that they will make a massive profit buying this equipment and then as has already been said simply shoving it on ebay.

The bidding is sky high on most of the lots with still 4 days to go. The reality is that most of this machinery will sell at this auction for what the current second hand market will stand and that's BEFORE you add the commision and VAT to the final bid price resulting in a 35% overpay-factor if you are not VAT registered.

As has already been said an example is the Rogers LS 5/9's..............an excellent pair can be had for around £700 and that's often with amplification (the BBC used them with Quad 520 f's). The only exception perhaps are LS 5/8's which in good condition with amplifiers now sell for at least £3000 a pair and more often than not nearer £4000.

The market is so super-saturated with poor quality domestic open reel tape machines now that even at around £1000 the Studer A 810's and A 807's will ironically be a bargain as they simply wipe the floor with domestic machines being offered at the same price. Again no profit to be had though once you factor in commission.
    Stewart.

I'm Simon.

Yeh those EMT's will be available on ebay for more than 5k in a weeks time, just watch. The thing is, if no one buys them from the dealers who buy them to sell on then they'll stop trying to turn a profit on stuff like this and leave them alone.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The UK is cash poor right now, so I reckon much of this will go abroad.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Quote Originally Posted by Lodgesound View Post
    Looking through some of these lots you can see that the bidders are mostly greedy folk who think that they will make a massive profit buying this equipment and then as has already been said simply shoving it on ebay.

The bidding is sky high on most of the lots with still 4 days to go. The reality is that most of this machinery will sell at this auction for what the current second hand market will stand and that's BEFORE you add the commision and VAT to the final bid price resulting in a 35% overpay-factor if you are not VAT registered.

As has already been said an example is the Rogers LS 5/9's..............an excellent pair can be had for around £700 and that's often with amplification (the BBC used them with Quad 520 f's). The only exception perhaps are LS 5/8's which in good condition with amplifiers now sell for at least £3000 a pair and more often than not nearer £4000.

The market is so super-saturated with poor quality domestic open reel tape machines now that even at around £1000 the Studer A 810's and A 807's will ironically be a bargain as they simply wipe the floor with domestic machines being offered at the same price. Again no profit to be had though once you factor in commission.
    Don't see how you can say that bidders, with 4 days to go are greedy folk? How can you judge their personalities by the bids? Is it in their user names?

High bids would tend to mean surely that they are NOT buying for profit and buying at the full price for their own personal use.. Low prices would indicate room for profit.

? 3K for ls5/8s? I've seen them sell on ebay with their Quad amps for around 1500 on eBay. (sorry, no pound sign for this post! Seem to be with a US keyboard layout for now..)

Just watching some things and Emporiumhifi won this (which actually kind of ruins my above post assertion!) :

http://www.ppauctions.com/lot_closed...e=1&account=no

I don't understand that...

Some Harbeth LS3/5as (can pick them up for £700 on eBay) a Techy 1210 (£150-200 on eBay) and other sundries that don't add up to much.

Yet they pay £1076 after fees and tax! I don't see where the profit is (and I doubt they checked it all over in person, the Harbeths could be bashed to buggery).

Am I crazy or are some hifi business just not actually that business savy or do I not understand perhaps an overseas market that they tap in to directly by exporting?

P.S. For future reference of past prices on this sale, click on the link above but change the "15575" part in the url. The '75' part is lot 76 (starts from 00) so you can work through by adding a new number in its place..
    Last edited by nat8808; 25-07-2012 at 14:37.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast