+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nothing matters before the dac?

I'm Twisted.

Default Nothing matters before the dac?

Is the accepted wisdom that in digital reproduction, nothing before the dac matters (obviously notwithstanding file quality) as it's all just ones and zeroes until that point?

And if this is true, is it fair to conclude that any old half knackered pc, running whatever OS you like, connected via a bog standard ethernet will perform as well as anything that could be designed specifically for the audiophile purpose?
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

No, I'm not sure about PCs, you ought to have a good read of John (welder) server thread, but with transports there can me huge differences that frankly you wouldn't expect.

John cut down a PC motherboard until it got down to the basic functions & discovered it sounded better with each bit of non needed circuitry removed...

All things are in no way equal
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post

John cut down a PC motherboard until it got down to the basic functions & discovered it sounded better with each bit of non needed circuitry removed...

All things are in no way equal

funny that ... i have found the same thing with valve amps too.

but then the component quality and implementation get more critical.
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Neil.

Transports make a big difference especially with non-reclocking DACs. Flimsy transports that rely on loads of error connection & an unbuffered, badly impedance-matched SPDIF out are going to sound glassy and more digital than properly designed transports. I have 3x decent transports that I use and can tell them apart blind with the DVD player being the most natural and tightest bass.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmore View Post
    is it fair to conclude that any old half knackered pc, running whatever OS you like, connected via a bog standard ethernet will perform as well as anything that could be designed specifically for the audiophile purpose?
    Most definitely not, I'm afraid your conclusion is very wrong.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Steve.

My laptop is the worst of all my sources.

Laptop via USB to DAC.
    NAS box via WiFi to Squeezebox Touch to DAC via coax.
    Pioneer DVD player via optical to DAC.
    And the winner - Townshend Rock not to DAC
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Simon.

It depends on the dac.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Alex.

Is the accepted wisdom that in digital reproduction, nothing before the dac matters (obviously notwithstanding file quality) as it's all just ones and zeroes until that point?

And if this is true, is it fair to conclude that any old half knackered pc, running whatever OS you like, connected via a bog standard ethernet will perform as well as anything that could be designed specifically for the audiophile purpose?
    While it certainly would depend on a DAC, the issue resides also with the unwanted noise that a poor transport box tends to introduce into the audio chain. This noise then gets amplified and finds its way into the chain of the signal reproduction. This is why, with each upgrade to one's digital transport, the music keeps sounding better and better. Mostly the upgrades serve to lower the noise floor of the digital transport.

And having a brilliant DAC cannot help you with that even one bit.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm ILOB.

I guess in some ways it goes back to the old mantra source first and this case its the transport
    In my own experience yes it does matter
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Bob.

If only it were that simple.... what is on your drive is data, what goes into the DAC is that data interpreted/transformed to a stream the DAC can understand then convert.
    An analogy might be a word/excel file on the drive, which is unintelligible data until Word/Excel interprets/transforms it for display/print etc....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast