+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Nad 3020 vs Nad 3020a

  1. #1
    Join Date: Mar 2010

    Location: London, UK

    Posts: 210
    I'm Rob.

    Default Nad 3020 vs Nad 3020a

    What is the difference between those two amps?
    What is the sound difference too?
    Which one is better to buy nowadays?
    Rob

  2. #2
    Join Date: Dec 2011

    Location: Kent, England

    Posts: 379
    I'm Lenny.

    Default

    I read about this recently. If I find the link, I'll post it.

    From memory, the 3020 contained a design flaw in the circuitry that introduced some kind of feedback. Rather than impair the sound, this error actually seemed to enhance it .

    However, the 3020A corrected the error, and the sound did chance. Apparently the amp sounded clearer, but not as pleasing .

    That's what I understand, at least.

    I've searched for the article, but can't find it. I came across it when researching which amp I should upgrade to (I was looking for a new Nad!).

    Lenny

  3. #3
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

    Posts: 14,540
    I'm David.

    Default

    Nah... The 3020A had an MC input the previous one didn't...

    The very early 3020's were terribly unreliable and any surviving ones would have been sorted decades ago. As production went on, the internals got a bit neater, but the warm hearted and slightly fruity sound remained - most endearing it was too. We only went the Creek route to start with because the latter was made just up the road and, after a few months getting to know Mike, he seemed to respond to what his little amp needed to do and worked on it accordingly..

    Do please be aware that the 3020 series will be nearly thirty years old now and although the design became reliable, old components may have drifted off by now, depending on the use it's had.

    The "audiophile" version, the 3120, which came minus tone controls, never gelled the way the stock model did, the supposedly cleaner sonics tending to "force" the music out in comparison I remember. With modern sources and speakers though, who knows...
    I can't go on and I can't go back, I don't feel so matter of fact,
    I tried and tried to make good sense, What's the good to try it all again?

  4. #4
    Join Date: Mar 2010

    Location: London, UK

    Posts: 210
    I'm Rob.

    Default

    MC input could be eventually valuable in future.

    What about sound wise? Which version is better?
    Thanks
    Rob

  5. #5
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Bournemouth

    Posts: 5,332
    I'm Dan.

    Default

    Hi


    3020A is the best in my opinion
    Quad 33 Pre with Quad 303 Power Amplifier
    Quad ESL 57 Loudspeakers
    Sony RCD W100 Transport
    Schiit Bifrost 2/64 DAC
    Thorens TD 165 with Shure M75ED / Radioshack PreAmp

  6. #6
    Join Date: Mar 2010

    Location: London, UK

    Posts: 210
    I'm Rob.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Hi


    3020A is the best in my opinion
    Do you mean from all 3020 family or only between 3020 and 3020a?
    Rob

  7. #7
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Bournemouth

    Posts: 5,332
    I'm Dan.

    Default

    Hi

    between the 3020 and 3020Athe 3020A wins my vote . also the 3020I is pretty decent my mates got one.

    Happy new year

    Dan
    Quad 33 Pre with Quad 303 Power Amplifier
    Quad ESL 57 Loudspeakers
    Sony RCD W100 Transport
    Schiit Bifrost 2/64 DAC
    Thorens TD 165 with Shure M75ED / Radioshack PreAmp

  8. #8
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

    Posts: 14,540
    I'm David.

    Default

    From a certain period, I'd personally suggest that the internals weren't hugely different, although the mid bass bump seemed to be tamed as production went on.

    The MC setting on the 3020A may not be the quietest out there and possibly a touch unrefined, but I used one for years in my setup system and could easily hear small setup differences..

    I have to say that if a Creek 4040 came along at similar price, I'd probably go with that one, as Creek apparently still service them should it be necessary and by 1982-83, the 4040 was a far better amp (for us at least), the NAD's sliding down the desirability scale until the late 80's models came along (I believe Chris Evans, ex A&R director and before he started Myryad, played a part in the design and/or tuning of these later models)..
    I can't go on and I can't go back, I don't feel so matter of fact,
    I tried and tried to make good sense, What's the good to try it all again?

  9. #9
    Join Date: Nov 2010

    Location: Yorkshire

    Posts: 9,791
    I'm Andrew.

    Default

    im reading this thread and thinking I had chance to pick one of these neat little amps up for £30 and remember thinking at the time, am I paying too much??? Looking on eBay they seem to sell for more.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

    VALVE / MONO
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker





  10. #10
    Join Date: Nov 2009

    Location: Devon

    Posts: 1,903
    I'm stu.

    Default

    Don't know which is best,but i took a new 3020 back the day after i got it in the early 80's and got a A&R a60.
    Far better amp although is was a couple of hundred compared to £90 for the nad.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •