View Poll Results: Please rate this album. You will be honest, won't you?!!

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 out of 10 - inexorable shite

4 25.00%
  • 1 out of 10 - not quite something I stepped in...

7 43.75%
  • 2 out of 10 - I liked the chicken noise on one of the tracks

1 6.25%
  • 3 out of 10 - well, no Chirpy Chirpy Cheap Cheap was a bonus...

1 6.25%
  • 4 out of 10 - Better than sniffing your own poo. Just.

1 6.25%
  • 5 out of 10 - 50%. Half ok, I suppose, if you're deaf.

0 0%
  • 6 out of 10- Pretty good, actually!

1 6.25%
  • 7 out of 10 - Surprisingly superfluous!

1 6.25%
  • 8 out of 10 - An awesome slab of durge.

0 0%
  • 9 out of 10 - practically perfect pop!

0 0%
  • 10 out of 10 - Stratospherically Superb (I need a hearing test)!

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 08.11.2011: Britney Spears - Blackout (2007)

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default Album Club: 08.11.2011: Britney Spears - Blackout (2007)

Britney Spears - Blackout (2007)

http://open.spotify.com/album/1MLQLTepJnkvGxa4Oe6Tzr

Well I suspect I will be able to count on one finger the number of people who will appreciate this week’s reserve Album Club choice… Me! And as for everyone else, the one finger will probably be the middle one, pointing up - and aimed in my direction!

As you will have seen, I have chosen Britney Spears and her fifth studio album, Blackout. I suppose the first question most of you will be asking after “WTF!?” will be “Why?” Well, ok, I will try and explain why…

You may or may not have been aware of the terminal meltdown that Ms Spears appeared to be in immediately preceding the release of this album – but if you do remember then you may have seen some of the images… yes – THOSE images of the previously squeaky clean American darling emerging from a limo in a short skirt, but also the ones of her rushing from a hairdresser’s having completely shaved her own head. The distraught pictures after the court appearances - having lost custody of her children, the numerous literal car crashes and motoring offences – the disastrous comeback on MTV. Interestingly, the Guardian review at the time, suggested “By contrast with poor old Britney, everything in Amy Winehouse's world is going just swimmingly.” Oh, the irony of hindsight…!

And in part, that’s why I chose this album – the juxtaposition of everything going disastrously in an artist’s private life, whilst the commercial machine of the record industry continues to demand its pound of flesh. Undoubtedly “poor old Britney” was in a very dark place, but at the same time, she was being wheeled into a recording studio, no doubt hardly knowing where she was at times, let alone who she was – and yet… this “comeback” album, whilst being one of her weaker selling titles, was very well received by the critics at the time. Just how much of that was down to “poor old Britney” rather than the collaborators that were bank-rolled in to write and produce the album would of course be pure speculation… Interesting too, the amount of vocal processing that is easily audible on this album, leaving one to wonder if she was just too far gone to even sing for her supper…?

But, despite all of the crassness and controversy that surrounded Britney and this album, to me it still manages to be a great pop record, full of state-of-the-art production techniques at the time, yet harking back to glam rock, disco and new-wave in a surprisingly accomplished dance album. And yet underpinning all of this, is the personal story – a young woman going through the breakup of her second marriage and losing her kids whilst still only in her mid twenties – limitless wealth, a supposedly loving family, and here she is, her life on a knife-edge.

If you look beneath the surface of the glossy production and processed beats, there’s an uneasiness to it, a darkness that is sometimes revealed in the lyrics, but perhaps more tellingly in the subtlety of it – the disassociation of the star of the show, who no matter what, had to be seen to be putting out a great record.

By the way, I'm adding a zero option to the scoring system for this week!
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 08-11-2011 at 22:00. Reason: Spotify Link
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

No way, I can't listen to the "toxic" one

I might relent but I'd need to take up heroin & crack cocaine first

E2A:- & I thought my stopgap album might be controversial, Alex you have outdone me by a long chalk
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Barry.

You gotta be jokin'

I haven't read your excuse yet btw.

I'm ChrisB.

I'll give it a go!
    Actually, I think the first album to be done on Album Club should have been George Michael - 'Listen Without Prejudice'. That kind of sums up what it's supposed to be about.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Well, at the end of the day, if people really don't want to give it a go then they can just have a week off - I'm sure a lot of you will!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nick.

Excellent intro Alex. Rewind 20 or so years and folks are likely to have treated Madonna and Kylie with the same suspicion. There is such a thing as great, consumable, pop. Sam Fox's first album is extraordinary if you actually listen to it - I just mean it's not what you'd expect. I'll check this out if only because it seems that Britney was the 'Pink' in her very own version of The Wall.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I'll try it when I'm in the right mood I just have no idea when that'll be I mean this is like Rick Astley in a way, but female... No redeeming factors there either for the opposite sex
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm ILOB.

I will give it a go but chances of me liking this is pretty small
    When its my turn to go again lets just say revenge is best served up as cold dish and can ensure you not a hint of pop
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

well, you know - I thought we needed a bit of a change, and I couldn't face doing another "safe" album... At the end of the day Album Club should just be a bit of fun - and get us all to try new things - though I must confess I'm not surprised you don't already have this John!
    Alex

I'm John.

I'm right behind you on this one Alex...........................albeit a fair way behind
    I'll give it a go
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast