+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vantage Audio upgraded technics bearing

I'm Stephen.

Default Vantage Audio upgraded technics bearing

I have just got my technics bearing back from Vantage Audio (http://www.vantageaudio.com/) after a level 1 upgrade which essentially consists of a new thrust pad with integral oil well and thrust pad support.

I shipped them my old bearing (well brand new actually so as to get the most out of the upgrade) and got it back after 4 days including a 24 hour test bench run - pretty darned impressive service and all for a miserly £82.

So any difference to the standard bearing? I should preface my response by saying that after getting my Decca Blue setup correctly last week my system has never ever sounded so good.

The difference is subtle but most definitely audible and becomes more obvious the more one listens - especially complex pieces.

The first thing I noticed was that vocals were more "expressive" (probably the wrong word) but on long-held notes - especially going up and down scale I can hear much more of the natural variance in vocalisation and inflection - it imparts a more natural "live" sound - it's like hearing subtle differences in regional accents. Having heard this difference I then became aware of similar differences in instrument "voices" - especially sustained notes such as bass guitar, harpsichord, piano where there is more detail to the trailing edges of notes than before. Interestingly, while the biggest changes to my ears are in these "harmonics" and "inflections" there is also no doubt that fast notes start and stop with more control - so plucked strings have better definition. Bass guitar "riffs" already well presented before are now that bit more defined and controlled. There has been no change to the essentials of PRaT or sound presentation/stereo imagery.

So not a night & day improvement but an improvement nonetheless. I suspect that when replay kit gets to this level then improvements of necessity will be small and incremental.

I am very pleased with what I got for my £82 and very impressed with the service and communication I received at all stages from Vantage Audio.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always a little further

I'm David.

If it improves the sound then its money well spent boss.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

looks very good Steve , Richard is very good to deal with and his work and service , 1st class .

He has a very different and much simpler way of improving the 1200 , and is worth listening to , and to add that he's paying me another visit today , and in his word's , bringing some Bit's and Bob's with him , he's keeping mum though .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    looks very good Steve , Richard is very good to deal with and his work and service , 1st class .

He has a very different and much simpler way of improving the 1200 , and is worth listening to , and to add that he's paying me another visit today , and in his word's , bringing some Bit's and Bob's with him , he's keeping mum though .
    come on then, let's have it

I'm Andy.

Bearing shootout, bearing shootout!
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Chris.

I now have a vantage modified bearing on loan from Richard to try out , we had a very long chat about all sorts of stuff yesterday ,we also found time to do a quick A-B between the QL1 and the 1210 now fitted with strat's 1042.

He felt the 1042 needed some hours on it ! and to play with the VTA a little , i am finding it difficult to hit the sweet spot ! Too high and it sounds a bit shrill ,all good fun though .

He also told me was at Scalford last month ! He enjoyed hearing a system using some old Radford's ,will have look through the pics again , unfortunately he couldn't get in the AOS room , it was packed at the time .
    Chris

I'm Chris.

And to add he also told me any problems i had in the bass ! Would not be down to the 1210 but elsewhere in the system so i was in the wrong on that score , happy to be proven wrong in fact !
    Chris

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed...! Ahem.....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Buffet-blower.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread, rather than start a new one, therefore anyone who might be searching after info on the Vantage bearing can find it all (or much of it) here in the one thread.

I haven't made up my mind 100% about the VA bearing in my 1210 yet, but am working on it. Will post here as and when - Richard's kindly loaned me this one for a couple of weeks (along with the VA feet) to get my slant on it.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Interesting. That bearing mod looks to have a deep nylon? support but a different material to actually take the weight of the platter.......

Regarding the 1042, try using it ever-so-slightly down at the back, tracking sat around 1.7g or so. may or may not improve things, but it worked for Rega 3's fitted with these cartridges.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast