+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CD Sound vs Streaming

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    I still prefer CD replay over streaming no question, but against FBA its a long way off in terms of real performnace. Demonstrations are very easy. Although I appreciate that quite a few chaps still prefer a solid media beiong optical or dragging a rock around a piece of plastic. Thats a personal thing imho.
    I like to browse a physical library rather than scroll titles on a screen.

I don't know about streaming services where mastering varies, but I could not tell the difference between a CD transport and a streamer playing a copy of that CD.. They should be identical and indeed they were.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Mate of mine has just installed some ATC SCM 150 ASL in his new listening room.

15 inch bass drivers should kick some ass. I will find out soon.
    150's! wow, serious sounds and pounds, £18.5k.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    150's! wow, serious sounds and pounds, £18.5k.
    Yes I am looking forward to going up to listen too them in next few weeks. I would be interested in some of the smaller ATC speakers myself. Not sure what I would go for though. I have a large listening room so I could have some fairly big beast. It would just be the cost that is the issue!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

Yes I am looking forward to going up to listen too them in next few weeks. I would be interested in some of the smaller ATC speakers myself. Not sure what I would go for though. I have a large listening room so I could have some fairly big beast. It would just be the cost that is the issue!
    The "Chasing the Dragon" room at the NW Audio Show at Cranage uses SCM150 actives each year. That room from memory is about 10M x 15M, and those speakers probably need all of that to give their best.

If I had the space and the money they would be on my shortlist. Well we can dream...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    The "Chasing the Dragon" room at the NW Audio Show at Cranage uses SCM150 actives each year. That room from memory is about 10M x 15M, and those speakers probably need all of that to give their best.

If I had the space and the money they would be on my shortlist. Well we can dream...
    Yeah my mates room is about that big so they should sound great. I will take some pics when I go. I would imagine I would be looking at the 50s or maybe 100s if they were an option but need a bit of inheritance before then!
    Last edited by Jimbo; 25-01-2024 at 06:45.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Ken.

Yeah my mates room is about that big so they should sound great. I will take some pics when I go. I would imagine I would be looking at the 50s or maybe 100s if they were an option but need a bit of inheritance before then!
    Trouble with the 50's is bass, like the stock Yamaha NS1000m they have SPL but no real depth, hence all my work in the Yammies to improve the bass.
    50's have f6 of 38Hz yes 6dB down at that point on a largish ported speaker!
    This is why I went for the sealed 20's + 10" sealed subs, f3 is below 30Hz. If I had gone for 12" subs f3 would be 20Hz or lower.
    I find sealed subs work best for bass in smaller rooms and integrate easily with sealed mains.
    I also had a serious need to reduce size and weight due to Arthritis, which was a major factor in my choice.
    The 150's are a different animal, but do need a larger room and two people to shift them. I think you will enjoy the session James.

I'm James.

I am looking forward very much to hearing the 150s Ken. They are monsters so expecting huge dynamic sound.

ATC have a very impressive range of speakers and I haven't looked into all of them but I like their old school design and use of large drivers unlike many modern floor standing speakers. I think your choice and combination looks a great solution. If I were to go down that route I would go for the 12" subs.

I'm Ken.

You old bass head

The larger ATC's, 50's up, come in two forms now:
    A). The original, which is usually black for Pro's and needs a short stand or soffit mounting.
    B). Tower versions with a T in the suffix eg ATC SCM 150ATLT These have a longer cabinets and are true floor standers. They also come in a variety of wood veneer finishes and are aimed more at the audiophile market. I think a set of active 100 or 150 "T's" would be most peoples end game speaker.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    You old bass head

The larger ATC's, 50's up, come in two forms now:
    A). The original, which is usually black for Pro's and needs a short stand or soffit mounting.
    B). Tower versions with a T in the suffix eg ATC SCM 150ATLT These have a longer cabinets and are true floor standers. They also come in a variety of wood veneer finishes and are aimed more at the audiophile market. I think a set of active 100 or 150 "T's" would be most peoples end game speaker.
    I could always d with a bit more bass The ATM SCM 100s would be nice ...but £15,000!

I'm Ken.

I could always d with a bit more bass The ATM SCM 100s would be nice ...but £15,000!
    Those are the short cabinet, the active 100 towers are £20,670

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast