+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of people own high-high-end gear?

I'm Grant.

Well house of lords get up to £300 a day attendance allowance for going to work which means a short walk for all the ones who live in London. Go every day and youve got a nice income...thats just for starters.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

There are only 100 hereditary peers in the HoL.

Queen is independently wealthy plus they get income from the Duchys of Lancaster and Cornwall.

Upkeep of Royal palaces is paid for from taxes, but you could argue they belong to the nation.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Well house of lords get up to £300 a day attendance allowance for going to work which means a short walk for all the ones who live in London. Go every day and youve got a nice income...thats just for starters.
    I think applying the term "going to work", in their context, is being more than a little generous!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Queen is independently wealthy plus they get income from the Duchys of Lancaster and Cornwall.
    What about all the Barons, Baronesses, Marquises, Earls, etc: chinless wonders no-one has ever heard of, who do hee-haw of any real significance... How do they exist financially, and who pays for it?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What about all the Barons, Baronesses, Marquises, Earls, etc: chinless wonders no-one has ever heard of, who do hee-haw of any real significance... How do they exist financially, and who pays for it?

Marco.
    The great wealth of the aristocracy was wiped out (along with many of its sons) by WWI and the huge death duties they had to pay. WWII finished off the job. Many of them are relatively poor; a lot of 'stately homes' belong to the National Trust, and the aristocrats are there only as tenants. Others opened their estates to the public, and have safari parks and other visitor attractions to help pay for the running of the estate. Some have made money by selling off land, or have become wealthy through their occupations, but very few of the aristocracy are anywhere near 'super-rich'.

If we're going to be all Marxist-Leninist, then why not go the whole hog? Confiscate all second homes, BTL properties, savings above a certain relatively modest level, expensive gizmos, raise the top rate of tax to 99%. and impose it on all income above £50,000 a year.

Nope, not necessary. The best/most successful solutions for anything generally exist in the middle of all extremes. Hi-fi's like that, too.

There are good and bad points about all political 'solutions'. Even communism has its place. The key, if it were possible, is to marry all the best bits and create the fairest and most equal division of wealth for all.

However, as I said before, that doesn't mean 'standardising' everything. There will always legitimately be some with rather more than others. The key, though, is to ensure that the current 'have nots', have something, and get a fairer share of the pie, worthy of them living a life fit for a human being

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

Nah, confiscate the BTL homes I say!

I'm Dennis.

Another 'doing well' sector of society is the local Government people in upper echelons, who with evident lack of ability rake in high pay and very luxurious pensions, just by 'being there'.

A very large Telecoms company which we all know, also has immense numbers of mediocre people in highly paid management positions, way above the salaries of many who have studied for years and who work hard.

We cannot say that much is justly apportioned, let alone meritocratic.

I'm sure that an agreement could be arrived at with regard to a new paradigm of politics, but we are all polarised into a position of self protection because of the predatory nature of society as it is.

BTW one Lord left his taxi engine running whilst he signed in for the day, and immediately after signing left in it.

I'm joe.

All that may be true, but a) none of the people you describe come anywhere near super-rich and b) they are all within the PAYE system, so will not be able to evade/avoid paying tax. Unpaid tax is mostly a problem related to large multinational corporations who play the system so that they pay minimal tax in countries in which they have a major presence. Wrt to individuals, it is mostly about people in the banking/finance sector, who make huge amounts of money, and who are adept at shifting it about to ensure taxation is minimal. Getting all het up about the aristocracy, or local government officials, however highly paid, is swallowing a camel whilst straining at a gnat.

The trouble is, addressing these problems is complex. Force the tax-avoiding large companies to pay their 'fair share' of taxes risks them moving their operations elsewhere, with consequent job losses here. The super-rich can live anywhere in the world; they probably own properties in several countries. You could force them out of the UK by, for example, scrutinising their wealth ever more closely, but how would that benefit the UK economy?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    local Government people in upper echelons, who with evident lack of ability rake in high pay
    Where did you get that from? There may well be a few 'wastes of space' amongst them, but I worked in local authority for a great many years and although I didn't necessarily see eye to eye with those in senior posts. I met many very clever and capable people.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast