+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: record clamp/weights useful or not? Any ideal weight?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

To my ears, without the clamp, there's a subtle blurring of musical information and lack of 'focus' on instruments and voices, which with the clamp fitted is rendered as absent. Often with these things, one needs to focus on musical differences, as opposed to tonal ones (as automatically tends to be the case), which are likely to be minimal at best.

Anyway, if you can't hear any difference with or without the clamp in situ, that's probably a good thing, as it's one less thing to worry about!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    To my ears, without the clamp, there's a subtle blurring of musical information and lack of 'focus' on instruments and voices, which with the clamp fitted is rendered as absent. Often with these things, one needs to focus on musical differences, as opposed to tonal ones (as automatically tends to be the case), which are likely to be minimal at best.

Anyway, if you can't hear any difference with or without the clamp in situ, that's probably a good thing, as it's one less thing to worry about!

Marco.
    Totally agree Marco. A much more sharply etched sound with crystal clear transients. A lot less blurred.

I'm Shaun.

Interesting, Bob, that you should mention the Orbe (and I believe this also applies to the Gyrodec), in that the record clamping system is integral to the design of the turntable itself, and well-thought out, thus not simply something that's been added later, as an afterthought, which is often the case with these things...

That, for me, is key to the likely (sonic) success of any record clamping system ['system' being the operative word].

In that respect, it really needs to be factored into the design of the turntable, from the ground up. I'm surprised though, that you can't hear any difference without it, as anytime I've tried it with an Orbe, the sound, with the clamp fitted, has always been no-brainer better!

Marco.
    Yes indeed, the Pro-Ject clamping system is integral to the design as well and is probably the reason it works so clearly.

I'm Deleted.

Record clamps that screw onto, or into, the record spindle (like the Michell) are capable of applying significantly more pressure than other clamping methods or record weights (unless said weight is extremely bulky). They don't apply additional force to the bearing (some minor mass but negligible) but they do couple the bearing very closely to the record - and the record very tightly to the mat. They also put the record through a great deal of force and the pressure applied is not even across the surface (hence some peripheral clamping rings that exist).

Marco kindly mentions the clamp I developed which effectively acts like a weight but without mass - sounds like a contradiction but it's true. This clamp was developed for my own use with my own design of turntable and my own design of mat. Inevitably there is an element of 'system' about how these parts interact with each other but they can work independently - the use of them together is not mandatory for success and a number of people use my mat without a clamp; Marco uses the clamp without my mat (I think) and one friend uses both.
    Account Deleted

I'm Grant.

title edited...it was annoying me
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Deleted.

It still says "Any ideal wieght?(sp)" Grant....
    Account Deleted

I'm Grant.

Doh! was out of sight when I edited..lol fixed now I think.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

I'm Bob.

..... focus on musical differences, as opposed to tonal ones ......

Marco.
    Whoa Marco. Now I'm going to worry about that.

Seriously, next time I'm in a comparative mood I'll give it a go, but nothing has hit me yet. Are you talking about PRaT vs Tone?
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Hi Folks

I'm toying with the idea of trying out a record clamp/weight, are they of any use at all? I have a Notts Analogue interspace SE so no issue with suspension etc.

What sort of difference should one make to sound etc?

I bought a 45 rpm adapter from this seller and it's nicely made so I thought I might try a weight from them but they have different weights on offer. The 45 adapter is nicely machined so I'm considering a weight too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45-Record-...YAAOSwrblZmHiD

any comments welcome. cheers

My experience is that the snap-on clamp makes the sound more strident, so I stopped using it. I prefer more relaxed sound myself.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast