+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quad 405-2 monoblocks .

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
    Quads now sold thanks John.
    Ian.
    Incoming!!!!

Thanks Ian, looking forward to getting a listen to these.

I'm John.

Quick update, amps now in service and working beautifully from my passive preamp.

They really are superb amps, drawing no attention to themselves whatsoever, just letting the music do the talking which I think is the mark of success.

But ohhh my eyes...blue LED alert

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm Martin.

Blue LEDs should be banned under the Geneva Convention. It is the one thing that pisses me off about my Krell.

The acceptable colours for power amp power on LEDs are

Orange, yellow (but should be a sort of dirty yellow, not Big Bird yellow) or red.

Great amps, John, you got a massive bargain there, saved yourself thousands of pounds.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Thanks Martin, they genuinely are superb and seem to be getting better the more I use them.

Siting them close to the speakers has improved things even further. 1m speaker cables and 1.5m interconnects. Not the result you would expect with a Passive.

I'm Peter.

What are the speakers, John?

I'm John.

Lockwood Academy with Tannoy HPD 385. Originally sealed infinite baffle but I've been messing about with porting them, see here(need to update the thread actually with latest erm..engineering mods)

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-advice-please

I'm fightingmywayoutofawetecho.

But ohhh my eyes...blue LED alert

Ahaa,just between me and you John,i'll whisper this the blue LEDs signify that the amps are "Tubehunter 1%ers"tm.

This means that all resistors are within 1% of each other..in other words Dunc sifted through shitloads of the bloody things and selected only those of the coverted "BLUE LED"award.

Also you'll be pleased to know there are only two pairs in existence,yours and Barrys..

Joking aside,i'm very pleased your liking the amps(i'm sure Dunc is too)and hope you get years of fun out of them.

Regards,

Ian.
    My System:

Linn Akurate DSM,Naim 32.5 pre amp Hicap,Naim Snaxo Hicap,3x Naim 250 power amps,Active Naim NBLs.
    Dave Hewitt MR PLANK 4 watt SE and Jm Lab Electra 905s.

I'm John.

Cheers Ian, in that case, blue LEDs it is

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Mine are located behind their respective speakers, so I don't notice the Blue LEDs. However if you find them too bright, put a higher value resistor in series so they draw less current.

Glad to hear you are enjoying yours John.
    Barry

I'm John.

Thanks Barry, I'll leave well enough alone for now. Bit of insulating tape over them will do the same! I deliberately got the cross braces on the speaker stands fitted at the top to leave room underneath for monoblocks, just incase I ever got some. Works well. So you're running with short speaker cables too?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast