+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supply conversion

I'm Dave.

The Krell, ARC and Maggies were sold back in the 90s. I kept the Oracle because I planned to use it in a home system but never got around to it.

I'm Louis.

Default response from Oracle

Adrian,

I have a Delphi 5-6 (6 platter and bearing, motor, motor controller). Sometimes it might take Oracle a couple of days to respond, depending on their travel and work load.

But they have always responded. Jacques even called me to help me wire up the upgraded motor controller assembly.

Just a suggestion, but when you get the table, take some time to read the set up instructions more than once. Its not a particularly complicated set up, but it will help to know what you need to do.

It had been some time since I had a suspended table so I took it slow, which seems a good idea.

I have tried a few different arms on my Delphi...a Graham 2.2, a Jelco/Sumiko FT4 and an SME 309. The SME seems to work and sound better. Since Oracle sells their version of the 309 with the table this does make some sense.

Good luck.

I'm Adrian.

I'm kind of expecting set up to be a pain, I've not had a suspended turntable for a long time and the Delphi is known to be a ball ache. But this is a second deck, an indulgence - I'm happy to take my time, learn and hopefully get things right in the end.

Arm... Hmmmm again it will be an indulgence, maybe 12" sme, or 12" audio Technica - not sure yet.

Cart - god knows - moving coil, maybe kiseki or koetsu - don't know.

I'm also on the look out for a Leben cs660p so funds which be tight.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Dave.

I always found the Oracles to be fairly easy to set up and get the'bounce' just right. Far easier than some other suspended turntables. Thing is, it's a very well engineered and thought out design, not cobbled together in a shed.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I always found the Oracles to be fairly easy to set up and get the'bounce' just right. Far easier than some other suspended turntables. Thing is, it's a very well engineered and thought out design, not cobbled together in a shed.
    The MK3 does not have the Brooks Berdan modification so will still have the movable rod system to balance the chassis to the arm weight. The mk 4 was the first Oracle to have that modification as part of the design via a curved weight under the platter. The motor is a Papst motor.

Set up is relatively easy, but requires patience and all the set up tools being available. Issues with the mk3 damaged platter mat, its sticky. The peripheral damping ring can go gooey, its rubber. The mk4 did away with the rubber peripheral damping ring and sticky mat for a hard one.

Sorry I missed this thread, my advice would have been don't buy a mk1, 2 or 3 but save your pennies for a mk4.

I agree with Dave an SME is the best choice, though I have tried an Eminent Technology ET2 tonearm, Graham 2.2, and Well Tempered. The ET2 was fabulous on it.

My other advice would be deal with Oracle directly, when it comes to buying spares, getting upgrades etc. If you want it upgraded with some of the mk7 upgrades sent it back to Oracle, don't let anyone else touch it but them.

I used to have a Delphi mk4, and a pile of spares, MK4 bearing, mk4 platter, spare lid, hinges, belts etc. I still have an armboard I made for the Delphi for an ET2 and 3 mk4 suspension towers, but that's it. Everything else went with the deck when I moved it on. If you want to know where it went and all the spares pm me and I will tell you, they might still be available.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    The MK3 does not have the Brooks Berdan modification so will still have the movable rod system to balance the chassis to the arm weight. The mk 4 was the first Oracle to have that modification as part of the design via a curved weight under the platter. The motor is a Papst motor.

Set up is relatively easy, but requires patience and all the set up tools being available. Issues with the mk3 damaged platter mat, its sticky. The peripheral damping ring can go gooey, its rubber. The mk4 did away with the rubber peripheral damping ring and sticky mat for a hard one.

Sorry I missed this thread, my advice would have been don't buy a mk1, 2 or 3 but save your pennies for a mk4.

I agree with Dave an SME is the best choice, though I have tried an Eminent Technology ET2 tonearm, Graham 2.2, and Well Tempered. The ET2 was fabulous on it.

My other advice would be deal with Oracle directly, when it comes to buying spares, getting upgrades etc. If you want it upgraded with some of the mk7 upgrades sent it back to Oracle, don't let anyone else touch it but them.

I used to have a Delphi mk4, and a pile of spares, MK4 bearing, mk4 platter, spare lid, hinges, belts etc. I still have an armboard I made for the Delphi for an ET2 and 3 mk4 suspension towers, but that's it. Everything else went with the deck when I moved it on. If you want to know where it went and all the spares pm me and I will tell you, they might still be available.
    Oh dear - are you saying I've bought a dud? Actually the seller has said the original mat is available but useless. An isomat is provided (I use one with the tenuto). What you say about the rim is a little worrying...
    Last edited by farflungstar; 08-10-2017 at 17:56.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adrian.

Tried messaging you dalek but your inbox is full.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Louis.

Default set up

The most trying part of set up for me was getting the blankety blank belt installed. The process seems straightforward, but it was not for me...at least the first couple of times I had to do it. Again, slow and steady wins the race.

The Delphi Six platter I have generally eliminates that problem. Oracle makes a little tool that helps...I think it comes with the table, but did not come with mine.

The original Delphi Five platter bearing got out of adjustment causing a slight wobble in the platter. I solved the problem by buying the Six platter and bearing.

But, I still have the Five platter and bearing. The platter has the hard mat mentioned above. Oracle can adjust the bearing, but I was in a hurry so I elected to buy the Six platter and bearing.

Point being, I would be happy to give you my Five platter and bearing as long as you understand it should be sent back to Oracle for adjustment and so forth.

I have no use for it. If you are interested, let me know.

The Delphi has a long upgrade path so that with one exception, your table can be brought current (for a price, of course) and most of the upgrades are user installable. The one exception is the micro vibration damper system, which requires the whole table to be shipped back to Oracle for drilling and installation.

You have a good table, or better than good, and it can be upgraded to super if you chose that path.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Tried messaging you dalek but your inbox is full.
    Cleared - sorry.
    Regards Neil

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by louie3 View Post
    The most trying part of set up for me was getting the blankety blank belt installed. The process seems straightforward, but it was not for me...at least the first couple of times I had to do it. Again, slow and steady wins the race.

The Delphi Six platter I have generally eliminates that problem. Oracle makes a little tool that helps...I think it comes with the table, but did not come with mine.

The original Delphi Five platter bearing got out of adjustment causing a slight wobble in the platter. I solved the problem by buying the Six platter and bearing.

But, I still have the Five platter and bearing. The platter has the hard mat mentioned above. Oracle can adjust the bearing, but I was in a hurry so I elected to buy the Six platter and bearing.

Point being, I would be happy to give you my Five platter and bearing as long as you understand it should be sent back to Oracle for adjustment and so forth.

I have no use for it. If you are interested, let me know.

The Delphi has a long upgrade path so that with one exception, your table can be brought current (for a price, of course) and most of the upgrades are user installable. The one exception is the micro vibration damper system, which requires the whole table to be shipped back to Oracle for drilling and installation.

You have a good table, or better than good, and it can be upgraded to super if you chose that path.
    That's a very generous offer Louie. I might take you up on the offer - I can see this is going to be a long road....
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps