+ Reply to Thread

Thread: USB to Optical Connection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Simon.

Don't panic!

I think you're getting confused. Your PC is doing the streaming from Tidal and the likes. It then produces a digital signal out, via USB.

You just need to convert USB to SPDIF (Toslink and Coaxial are both just different flavours. of SPDIF [Sony Philips Digital Interface Format].

There is a plethora of devices on the market. You might want to start off with something cheap, but effective, such as a Behringer UCA222 at around £25, just to prove to yourself that it all works. You could then look at something better; a Halide Bridge perhaps? Or the now discontinued Musical Fidelity V Link used to be good.

You need to take care that your USB-SPDIF converter can handle all the frequencies and bit depth you'll be using. If you look at up to 24/192 capability then that will cover all the bases, unless you want to move on to DSD and the likes.

Just to add: the USB converters will often install the correct driver on a Windows PC automatically. If not, one would come with the kit. I use the UCA222 to convert USB on a laptop to digital when I do the occasional bit of DJing. Always works a treat and I never needed to download any additional drivers. The driver is just for the USB converter, btw; nothing to do with Tidal or whatever. The Driver is just a small bit of software that the computer uses to allow the USB converter to work. Of course, if you had an Apple then special/additional drivers are very rarely required.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by simon g View Post
    Don't panic!

I think you're getting confused. Your PC is doing the streaming from Tidal and the likes. It then produces a digital signal out, via USB.

You just need to convert USB to SPDIF (Toslink and Coaxial are both just different flavours. of SPDIF [Sony Philips Digital Interface Format].

There is a plethora of devices on the market. You might want to start off with something cheap, but effective, such as a Behringer UCA222 at around £25, just to prove to yourself that it all works. You could then look at something better; a Halide Bridge perhaps? Or the now discontinued Musical Fidelity V Link used to be good.

You need to take care that your USB-SPDIF converter can handle all the frequencies and bit depth you'll be using. If you look at up to 24/192 capability then that will cover all the bases, unless you want to move on to DSD and the likes.

Just to add: the USB converters will often install the correct driver on a Windows PC automatically. If not, one would come with the kit. I use the UCA222 to convert USB on a laptop to digital when I do the occasional bit of DJing. Always works a treat and I never needed to download any additional drivers. The driver is just for the USB converter, btw; nothing to do with Tidal or whatever. The Driver is just a small bit of software that the computer uses to allow the USB converter to work. Of course, if you had an Apple then special/additional drivers are very rarely required.
    Grant, Simon.

Many thanks for this advice.. I just wanted to make sure........ for me this is a crap load of money for a CD transport, but as I've never had the opportunity to go this high end on a CD transport... I just needed some reassurance.

Lol ...... only half the cost of my vinyl set up, but it just seems a lot for CD playback. Which with the right transport "Can" be as good as Vinyl??????

However, I may be wrong !!

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread