+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm Timothy.

Funny. I always thought once the staples were out, it was like rolling down a nice pair of stockings, only on a rather large leg, and no silky stockings either!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    , it was like rolling down a nice pair of stockings, only on a rather large leg, and no silky stockings either!
    Plenty of people here with a lot of experience of that so should be no problem getting expert help...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Funny. I always thought once the staples were out, it was like rolling down a nice pair of stockings, only on a rather large leg, and no silky stockings either!
    Perhaps, but a very hairy leg and a very fine stocking!

Geoff

I'm Timothy.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Plenty of people here with a lot of experience of that so should be no problem getting expert help...
    Yes Martin, I have kind of noticed that about many here!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Sandro.

Got the Maggies 1.7 on loan and I am quite pleased whit them first listening this morning
    Most of all the F5 are coping quite well
    At first I tough a bit thin but I have the Paradise whit stock values on the RIAA and that can be changed
    I have also tried to fit a 0R47 instead of the bridging and that make a big improvement
    Mind you I am used to the Polk LSi15 so It will take a while to get used to the Magies

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I have an urge to try out some Electrostatic/Planar speakers

I had a lovely pair of ESL 57's many years ago and absolutely loved them but when I moved I could not site them properly so had to sell them. They were probably the best speakers I've ever heard along with Klipsch La Scalas

Unfortunately I still cannot fit in 57's, as they are just too wide, but am considering 63's as they will fit or maybe Magneplanar, Martin Logan etc

I am not able to have the speakers too far out in the room but can accommodate 2' from the rear wall no problem

I have an option to buy some Magneplanars for next to nothing so might give those a try

Just wondered what other people thought about these type of speakers and any other recommendations, thanks so much
    Quite a few narrow stats out there - though most would need pairing with a sub or similar to augment the bass end. Silberstatic, Audiostatic (still the most transparent stat i have owned), Final, smaller Martin Logan and Sandersound hybrids. Some of these new, others used. All between 11” and 15” wide.
    See my gallery entry for a look at my Finals. If you are near Somerset you are welcome to come and listen. By the way, a pair of Quad 57s were my first ever stats.
    Current kit :
    Music library (FLAC) on IMac or streamed via Qobuz. Fed wirelessly to Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione and into Lyngdorf digital amplification. This handles room correction and drives a pair of Quad 2905 electrostatics.

I'm Stephen.

By the way, i have also owned Maggies (2.5R) which clearly needed more juice tham my then NVA A70 monoblocks could bring to bear. As far as I understand it, magnetic planars need big current whereas electrostatics need big voltage swings to sound their best.
    The monster amp that seems to satisfy all requirements is the Sanders Sound Magtech - an over-engineered beast probably capable of driving a tractor. Never heard one though.
    I used to have a pair of Parasound JC1s driving ML Prodigies which was an ok combo, but i replaced the amps (then driven by a Plinius pre) with my current Lyngdorf digital beauties. They have never grumbled about loads (but i would still like to hear if i am missing something in comparison with the Magtech).

FWIW my planar speaker history:

Quad 57, Maggie 2.5R, Cadence Anina hybrid (don’t remind me), Audiostatic Wings (thanks Jerry and I agree, never could get a sub to gel although might have fared better with the Lyngdorf active crossover), ML Prodigies, Final 400i with Lyngdorf corner woofers. Saving in desparation for a pair of Sandersound 10s.

And still in awe of Justin’s highly modded Apogee Duettas . . .
    Current kit :
    Music library (FLAC) on IMac or streamed via Qobuz. Fed wirelessly to Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione and into Lyngdorf digital amplification. This handles room correction and drives a pair of Quad 2905 electrostatics.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Liffy99 View Post
    By the way, i have also owned Maggies (2.5R) which clearly needed more juice tham my then NVA A70 monoblocks could bring to bear. As far as I understand it, magnetic planars need big current whereas electrostatics need big voltage swings to sound their best.
    The monster amp that seems to satisfy all requirements is the Sanders Sound Magtech
    - an over-engineered beast probably capable of driving a tractor. Never heard one though.
    I used to have a pair of Parasound JC1s driving ML Prodigies which was an ok combo, but i replaced the amps (then driven by a Plinius pre) with my current Lyngdorf digital beauties. They have never grumbled about loads (but i would still like to hear if i am missing something in comparison with the Magtech).

FWIW my planar speaker history:

Quad 57, Maggie 2.5R, Cadence Anina hybrid (don’t remind me), Audiostatic Wings (thanks Jerry and I agree, never could get a sub to gel although might have fared better with the Lyngdorf active crossover), ML Prodigies, Final 400i with Lyngdorf corner woofers. Saving in desparation for a pair of Sandersound 10s.

And still in awe of Justin’s highly modded Apogee Duettas . . .
    Very true, although there are amps capable of driving Maggies properly at much less than the price of the Magtech (as good as that is!).

Geoff

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Liffy99 View Post
    The monster amp that seems to satisfy all requirements is the Sanders Sound Magtech - an over-engineered beast probably capable of driving a tractor. Never heard one though.
    I've heard a Sanders Magtech - I was sent one to review back in my Hifi Pig days.
    After a couple of days I just returned it and refused to do a review, the positives and negatives that I heard were so heavily biased into the negative that I felt sure that a more suitable reviewer could be found.
    To me it was just bland and BORING!!
    Lots of folks seem to love it, though, so I think I made the right decision. I can think of some folks on this forum who would really enjoy it.

I'm Neil.

Default Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I've heard a Sanders Magtech - I was sent one to review back in my Hifi Pig days.
    After a couple of days I just returned it and refused to do a review, the positives and negatives that I heard were so heavily biased into the negative that I felt sure that a more suitable reviewer could be found.
    To me it was just bland and BORING!!
    Lots of folks seem to love it, though, so I think I made the right decision. I can think of some folks on this forum who would really enjoy it.
    That’s what happens when you get too many power transistors in parallel, it gets boring and more withdrawn from the heart and soul, the immediacy, of the music.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast