+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I adore Joni Mitchell but...

I'm Alex.

Default I adore Joni Mitchell but...

I find her album "Ladies of the Canyon" hard to listen to.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm malcolm.

And it's my favourite, it's the jazz stuff that I can't get on with.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Nodrog.

But the jazz stuff is brilliant

Ladies of the canyon is also brilliant

And so is just about every album she made. Hejira is my favourite but folk are allowed their own taste...allegedly.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    And it's my favourite, it's the jazz stuff that I can't get on with.
    Heh, funny how we're the exact opposite. Mind you, I adore "Blue", so I'm not averse to her full throttle country/folk style. It's just that "Ladies of the Canyon" sounds so, so dated, with Joni's vocalizations grating on my ears.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post

Ladies of the canyon is also brilliant

And so is just about every album she made. Hejira is my favourite but folk are allowed their own taste...allegedly.

I keep flip-flopping between Hejira and The Hissing Of Summer Lawns. Can't make up my mind which is better. When I get tired of that arbitration, I reach for Don Juan's Reckless Daughter -- possibly her crowning achievement (duck!)

Alex.

I'm Alex.

I'm not even sure we could call it 'jazz'? Joni herself said that all the jazzbos she brought in to record with were flabbergasted by her chords and harmonic progressions. She received a good ribbing from none other than Wayne Shorter, explaining to her how she is so terribly wrong in her harmonies. "You cannot resolve a sus chord with another sus chord." Wayne told her.

And yet she did just that. She stuck to her guns (as all Scorpio women do; I know that too well, I'm in love with one).

Alex.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I keep flip-flopping between Hejira and The Hissing Of Summer Lawns. Can't make up my mind which is better. When I get tired of that arbitration, I reach for Don Juan's Reckless Daughter -- possibly her crowning achievement (duck!)
    Love it. To me, this is jazz of the highest quality. Don't listen to anyone who says jazz must have certain forms. Call it Joni's jazz and they can sod off!

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Heh, funny how we're the exact opposite. Mind you, I adore "Blue", so I'm not averse to her full throttle country/folk style. It's just that "Ladies of the Canyon" sounds so, so dated, with Joni's vocalizations grating on my ears.
    Must be my age then The first eight are top of my list. It's just that I don't generally get on with jazz...full stop.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Alex.

Love it. To me, this is jazz of the highest quality. Don't listen to anyone who says jazz must have certain forms. Call it Joni's jazz and they can sod off!
    As it turned out, Joni's jazz posed a huge challenge to players of the highest caliber -- Wayne Shorter, Jaco Pastorius, Herbie Hancock. Mingus heard it and called her. I'm pretty sure if Miles Davis was in better shape around 1976/77, he would've called Joni too.

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    Must be my age then The first eight are top of my list. It's just that I don't generally get on with jazz...full stop.
    So to you, Hejira is jazz? To me ears, Hejira is more like a second iteration of Blue. I'm not hearing much jazz in there. Must be my age.

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast