+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative platters ?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    These are all brand new records if that makes a difference?
    Yup... Are you still using the cheap and nasty paper sleeves, which automatically come with most new records? If so that's your problem. They're a pure bugger for causing static, and also scratch your records every time you pull them in and out...!

There are two solutions:

1) Buy some quality anti-static record sleeves from Mr Brooks, and replace all cheap and nasty sleeves with those. Invest in a Milty anti-static gun and use it along with the former.

2) [Even more effective] Buy a professional record cleaner, which not only thoroughly cleans all of your records (yes, even new ones need cleaning) but also removes all static from new records, during the cleaning process. Then pop all cleaned records into a nice fresh anti-static record bag, and worry not again about static.

Job done

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Marco, yup, still in the original sleeves, though I have bought some Mobile Fidelity sleeves. I was going to buy a cleaner and put the into the new sleeves once they had been cleaned.

I'll try using some of the MF sleeves in the meantime.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

No worries, dude.

Once you've 'de-staticised' them, Ali, with the use of a Milty anti-static gun (dunno if David sells them or not), but here's another link anyway: http://www.hifigear.co.uk/milty-zero...tatic-gun.html (those are very effective and worth having), and/or run your records through an RCM, popping them inside MF bags after that process, should all but eliminate the problem

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Ok, thanks mate.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Bernie.

Ali,

Sent you a PM.
    Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    yes its on the way chief but un-trackable as that keeps costs down.....

let's hope someone from UK customs is not an audiophile and sees it
    Lol - indeed. Cheers for the update!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Kevin.

I was wondering if a Zerostat gun worked, or if was just more snake oil.
    As it comes recommended, I guess it does.

Is it effective with anti-stat sleeves only, or do you really need the RCM?
    I have to balance my upgrades against the house renovation, so I need to chose carefully.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Deleted.

New records always (maybe not always but most of the time) have a lot of static on them but it should disperse when you handle it for the first (or second) time. In my experience there is no need for static discharge products of any kind (guns, brushes etc.).

What is true is that the dryer the atmosphere is the more likely static is - not the other way round.
    Account Deleted

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I was wondering if a Zerostat gun worked, or if was just more snake oil.
    As it comes recommended, I guess it does.
    They do work. However, like Mark, I've not had problems with static in my situation - well, not for many years.

Is it effective with anti-stat sleeves only, or do you really need the RCM?
    I have to balance my upgrades against the house renovation, so I need to chose carefully.
    How many records do you own?
    A machine is one of the best investments you can make if your discs number more than a couple of hundred. Not only will they sound better but your cartridge will last a lot longer.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

How often d folk with a machine clean their records?

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast