+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's an odd one

I'm James.

Default Here's an odd one

I have recently added a Cambridge audio power amp to my set up,I'm using a novafidelity x40 server as pre. When the volume shows 50 it's a nice level but when I go over 50, the volume reduces, any ideas? Cheers jim BTW, I'm not talking neighbour annoying levels
    Last edited by Pieoftheday; 04-05-2017 at 19:04.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm nigel.

ANY chance you can put up the model number.
    a possible problem could be a builtin distortion sensing circuit...this was, is fitted to the 540/640 series integrated amps and was prone to throwing a hissy.

my son went through THREE 640s purchased new from richer sounds...all developed the same fault before he gave up and swapped for a NAD.

I hope your power amp is not suffering the same problem!!

p.s., in the integrated amps, upon premature activation the motorised volume control would lower the output.

NIGE.

I'm nigel.

DOH....just noticed the mod number is in yer kit list!!!

NIGE.

I'm James.

Hi nigel, it's a 651w power amp
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    ANY chance you can put up the model number.
    a possible problem could be a builtin distortion sensing circuit...this was, is fitted to the 540/640 series integrated amps and was prone to throwing a hissy.

my son went through THREE 640s purchased new from richer sounds...all developed the same fault before he gave up and swapped for a NAD.

I hope your power amp is not suffering the same problem!!

p.s., in the integrated amps, upon premature activation the motorised volume control would lower the output.

NIGE.
    Cheers Nigel, thanks for your reply,I've emailed Cambridge audio due to your answer ,thanks Jim

I'm nigel.

a quick look online tells me your amp is fitted with CAP....the same type of sensing/protection circuit.
    assuming all your cables/conections are in good shape, I would look in this direction.

fingers crossed.....NIGE.

I'm Taz.

Hi James, have you checked the speaker connections to see if they've not been crossed or have the polarity swapped? Reminds me of a issue a customer had years ago in his car audio install... Once he would go higher than 16 on his cd player it would do what you described, it was as if the amp was getting some feed back from drivers and reducing the volume as a result. Once we re-wired his system the problem was no more

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    a quick look online tells me your amp is fitted with CAP....the same type of sensing/protection circuit.
    assuming all your cables/conections are in good shape, I would look in this direction.

fingers crossed.....NIGE.
    Ta Nige, cables are all good, quite new,though I'll make sure everything is hooked up proper tomorrow,thank you

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by TazSob View Post
    Hi James, have you checked the speaker connections to see if they've not been crossed or have the polarity swapped? Reminds me of a issue a customer had years ago in his car audio install... Once he would go higher than 16 on his cd player it would do what you described, it was as if the amp was getting some feed back from drivers and reducing the volume as a result. Once we re-wired his system the problem was no more
    Hi Taz, Im going to pull everything apart tomorrow, I'll feel a rite tit if that's all it is, cheers Jim

I'm James.

Well I've reconnected everything and the odd behavior remains, hmm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast