+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Dark Side Of The Moon had "file under Pop music" on the back.
    Well yes exactly but I dont like the catch all term pop music.

Popular!? Its like it was set apart from classical music as more lowbrow by some Smashie and Nicey character from the 50s or 60s........Not alf pop pickers!

I wouldnt use it to define everything from say Joe Dolce to The Sleaford Mods. To me out and out pop is at the disposable, novelty end of the market. I accept the issue of who then subjectively defines that.

Anyway I think there is a deeper reason I dont like this new genre of pop music and maybe its the people driving it now...it is the whole x factor thing and it all seems more cynical than it even was with the Spice Girls.

We do mature and I love all sorts including classical and opera now. There is some amazing world music out there and I can assure you its not Little Mix As Grant says who will actually remember most of it in 50 years time?

One thing I am sure about though is that the youth of today will feel like me when they get older as that seems to be human nature when dealing with younger generations and their shallow music.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 24-07-2017 at 11:07.

+ Reply to Thread