+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm Sandro.

right I was looking at the 2905 instead of the Maggies 1.7 No where to audition them near by
    But then there is the price I could have had a pair of ex-demo Magies 3.7i for around £7k or a pair of 20 years old Sonus Faber Amati from Ebay for 6K or or or or
    But that would have meant big credit card charges and having to delay a cartridge upgrade.
    I think I made the right compromise Is not this hobby of ours just a series of compromises to be made?
    The nagging doubt I have right now is what I could have had for 3K that would have made such a big improvement as the 1.7i ?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    right I was looking at the 2905 instead of the Maggies 1.7 No where to audition them near by
    But then there is the price I could have had a pair of ex-demo Magies 3.7i for around £7k or a pair of 20 years old Sonus Faber Amati from Ebay for 6K or or or or
    But that would have meant big credit card charges and having to delay a cartridge upgrade.
    I think I made the right compromise Is not this hobby of ours just a series of compromises to be made?
    The nagging doubt I have right now is what I could have had for 3K that would have made such a big improvement as the 1.7i ?
    Even with the huge mark-up over US prices, I think that the 1.7s are one of the true bargains in hifi today. Yes, there are better speakers, but not in terms of the attributes that are important (to me) and not at anywhere near the price. The downside: finding an amp to realise their potential!

Geoff

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    The downside: finding an amp to realise their potential!

Geoff
    The problem there can be knowing what their potential is!
    If you haven't had a good dem and just plug them into an amp that has been used to drive easier speakers then you will probably never know.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    If the big Apogees make up for the limitations of my 2095s but lose nothing in comparison, they surely must be the epitome of planars.
    It is to a large extent achedmic as they don't really exist anymore, though you can get them refurbished and even built from scratch to far, far higher standards than Apogee ever managed.

Unrefurbushed pairs in the year 2018 aren't likely to perform that well.

I'd invite you over for a listen but you're miles away.

I'm Mike.

Ah, I see ! Research over, then. Ta for the invite but 200 odd miles is a bit much.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Ah, I see ! Research over, then. Ta for the invite but 200 odd miles is a bit much.
    No different to Quad 57s really - long out of production. So research away there's loads on the web.

Finding a pair of say Full Range to restore in this country is going to be hard though and a challenge both space and amp wise.

Google Reality Audio for the restorer.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    No different to Quad 57s really - long out of production. So research away there's loads on the web.

Finding a pair of say Full Range to restore in this country is going to be hard though and a challenge both space and amp wise.

Google Reality Audio for the restorer.
    was it your apogees at Scalford with the blue lighting some years ago Justin?
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    was it your apogees at Scalford with the blue lighting some years ago Justin?
    No. I did hear that pair though. Here they are I shot a vid.

That was one of the first restorations done in this country. They were basic Calipers, in a room way to big for them to live in.

There is simply no comparison between those and recent Caliper Sigs restorations. And no comparison between those and restored Duettas. And no comparison between restored Duettas and the special Duettas I have had made etc etc.

Here's mine, running with what I would call a "hot" crossover, and the first Accuphase monoblocks ever made (1975), proving 93+ DB is possible from 75 Watts, and hence throwing away the complete mis-conception you need a Kilowatt to drive them. 93DB is pneumatic drill type loud+.

And via 211 valve amps playing audiophile wank, mainly to compare with the Martin Logan Neolith at Munich playing the same song that I shot with the same camera.

I will re-shoot these now the crossover is where I want it using much uprated components and pulling back the mid range considerably, with a decent microphone and not some poor on-board camera mics as shot here.

I'm paul.

Ah yes Dr Rock, remember that name. I always remembered them as being taller.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Ah yes Dr Rock, remember that name. I always remembered them as being taller.
    He was alright. Came to one of my bake offs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast