+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mains conditioner - home made as good as Isotek Aquarius

I'm Phil.

you hear very little about isol but isotek have been bringing out some superb stuff and are pretty big now . as said before , i wish it was not so expensive .

when i had a puresound L10 i put the isotek syncro on it and you could really hear the change .

http://www.isoteksystems.com/why-isotek/
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

I think if I had issues with the mains I would go the whole hog and buy a regenerator. Expensive but should solve all problems.

Sceptical about the whole thing though, as you go to shows in hotels and there are systems that despite using power conditioners or even regenerators sound lousy, then you go to the next room and hear a system with no mains cleaning gubbins that sounds great.

If the problem is interference from other devices causing audible anomalies like clicks and pops then I agree steps need to be taken. But if it is just a desire for improved sound then improving the quality of the basic items of kit, or improving the matching thereof, is a better use for the money IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

Printed cct boards are really of benefit mainly with high density of small components, and prior to the increased complexity of cct design we have today, point to point wiring was the norm, and it has some advantages.

In an audio amp the components can be placed such as to reduce connection length and distance between components, and also reduce the risk of RF parasitics.

With a mains filter, which probably has only a few components it seems to me that a cct board will have to be thick and strong, and the components may well be heavy - large high current coils for eg..

Printed cct board layers are expensive if thick copper is required for high current reasons, but high current connections with stranded wires are easy to do and cheap.

Regarding looks, I would consider the old cast alloy boxes which I have used several times and produced fairly professional finishes with.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Printed cct boards are really of benefit mainly with high density of small components, and prior to the increased complexity of cct design we have today, point to point wiring was the norm, and it has some advantages.

In an audio amp the components can be placed such as to reduce connection length and distance between components, and also reduce the risk of RF parasitics.

With a mains filter, which probably has only a few components it seems to me that a cct board will have to be thick and strong, and the components may well be heavy - large high current coils for eg..

Printed cct board layers are expensive if thick copper is required for high current reasons, but high current connections with stranded wires are easy to do and cheap.

Regarding looks, I would consider the old cast alloy boxes which I have used several times and produced fairly professional finishes with.
    Hi Dennis
    Would you be experienced enough to help me try and build one?
    Regards Simon

I'm Justin.

Power Inspired AG 1500. Regenerate rather than filter. I've run my entire system off one now for ages.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Power Inspired AG 1500. Regenerate rather than filter. I've run my entire system off one now for ages.
    I use the smaller 500. Works well with me anyway.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I have used filters, balanced mains etc. and had a custom balanced mains wired in for years. When I tried taking all the gubbins out I was surprised that I preferred the sound. Balanced mains is best used with a DC blocker as a universal solution, but nowadays I just have an industrial star grounded mains block.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    That doesn't surprise me at all. My experience parallels your own in that all the mains conditioners, regenerators etc that I have heard have changed the sound but not actually improved it. Just as you, I just use a star wired mains block - no filtering etc.
    Account Deleted

I'm Simon.

I borrowed a star wired mains block from my dealer. It was a music works light, and it made damm all difference to my system when I had pmc twenty 23s at the time and my cyrus signature stuff.

Reading between the lines of what everyone who has said who has owned and used conditioners, I think there is a difference in a star wired block to something like the Aquarius which is in a different class.

I like the idea of regenerators but I don't think they deal with common and differential mode noise and the sine wave coming into most U.K. homes is decent as the power supply in the U.K. is good, so need of reconstruction often, but I know people who have said on forums using regenerators in noisy areas is a very good thing to do and gets good results, as with conditioners.

I'm Dennis.

I certainly could help you Simon, but ATM have no familiarity with any ccts, but I have built three items in RS cast alloy boxes over the years. I would post some pics but it seems so convoluted, and I don't want my stuff posted on public 'profile' forums.

I'm sure there are some out there though

RothwellAudio Guest

In my opinion equipment should be designed on the assumption that the mains is noisy rubbish of uncertain voltage. It should take steps to deal with it and make sure it works properly anyway. However, we have to live with things as they are, not things as we would like them to be. Probably the worst offenders for not dealing with poor mains are power amps. Most other things should be a lot more immune to noise on the mains.

BTW, what's a star wired mains block?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast