+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How good is better than CD?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I have yet to hear a good 'needle drop' digital file. Many people claim that they can make the needle drop sound indistinguishable from the actual vinyl playback, but like I said, I've never heard it with my own ears. Every vinyl rip I've heard so far sounded inferior to the original.

Think about it for a second -- if indeed it was possible to make a vinyl rip indistinguishable from the actual vinyl playback, wouldn't many of us be prepared to drop good money for such rips? I mean, let's imagine someone has a top of the line analog rig (the dream turntable with the best fitted tonearm and cartridge feeding into the best SUT/phono preamp). Such configuration could cost tens of thousands of dollars, sometimes pushing the cost into the six figure territory. Few among us could ever dream of having such a system in our homes. Obviously, many of us have already had a chance, once or twice in our lives, to actually listen to such superior analog systems. And obviously, the quality of the reproduction via such a top notch system is vastly superior to many, if not most digital systems.

Now imagine being able to do the 'needle drop' on such dream system where the digitized copy would sound exactly like the original playback. Hey, I'd be the first to plonk big bucks into buying such FLAC files! That would give me the luxury of hearing the best possible sound quality without having to purchase and mess with such precious front end.

So the reason I'm skeptical that such vinyl rip is possible is basically there are no such perfect needle drop files available on the market.
    Spot on. Nowhere near as good after digital recording IME and I find the whole idea of "needle drops" pretty moronic personally...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I find the whole idea of "needle drops" pretty moronic personally...
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Bernie.

Needle drops to tape (R2R) can sound amazing! My experimenting with needle drops always loses something in the conversion and I usually only do them for vinyl albums I can't get a CD copy for, or the CD version is particularly dire.
    Bernie.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    ...I find the whole idea of "needle drops" pretty moronic personally...

+ Reply to Thread