+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cambridge Audio CXU universal player

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Mike.

Default CXU as SACD ripper

I have the CXU primarily because that aforementioned Mediatek chipset that is also used in the Oppo 10x players is capable of SACD ripping to hard drive via it's Ethernet network jack.

This is not an authorized/officially supported feature, but no matter, it works perfectly.

Anyone with an SACD collection they would like to rip to HDD should strongly consider the CXU, or a used Oppo 10x (you can't find new ones anymore), or on the cheap the Pioneer BDP-160/170 (or it's U.S. variant the Elite BDP-80fd) also work, as do the Arcam UDP411 and it's lower end sister model whose number escapes me at this time.

Ditto the lower end version of the CXU, I believe the Cambridge BDP-752? That also works.

Or if you already have any of the above players, and didn't know you could use it to rip SACDs, you can!

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFresh View Post
    I have the CXU primarily because that aforementioned Mediatek chipset that is also used in the Oppo 10x players is capable of SACD ripping to hard drive via it's Ethernet network jack.

This is not an authorized/officially supported feature, but no matter, it works perfectly.

Anyone with an SACD collection they would like to rip to HDD should strongly consider the CXU, or a used Oppo 10x (you can't find new ones anymore), or on the cheap the Pioneer BDP-160/170 (or it's U.S. variant the Elite BDP-80fd) also work, as do the Arcam UDP411 and it's lower end sister model whose number escapes me at this time.

Ditto the lower end version of the CXU, I believe the Cambridge BDP-752? That also works.

Or if you already have any of the above players, and didn't know you could use it to rip SACDs, you can!
    Hi Mike , what software do you use for the Sacd rip ?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    Hi Mike , what software do you use for the Sacd rip ?
    I use Sonore ISO2DSD, primarily because it is an easy to use GUI, however you can also just use a Terminal session and command line as the interface if that's preferable (for me decidedly NOT preferable).

You also need to put what amounts to a server application onto a USB thumb drive, and plug that into the Blu-Ray player's USB input when wanting to rip SACDs. This is a tiny program that essentially just tells the player to make itself an available server for the files extracted from the SACD (this is the secret sauce). The Sonore app listens on that port and accepts the stream to your computer over Ethernet or WiFi, and can save it as .ISO, .DSF, or .DFF files.

I use Ethernet and it has been flawless, I convert/save directly to .DSF and skip the intermediate step of having a .ISO, though many people prefer to keep that as an exact copy/archive of the SACD disc and then further distill that down to .DSF files for streaming.

You don't have to stream .DSF though, JRiver for instance will stream a .ISO file.
    Last edited by MikeyFresh; 22-05-2017 at 16:35.

+ Reply to Thread