Thread: Tidal - what a load of rubbish

I'm Grant.

Default Tidal - what a load of rubbish

Never had a trial before ?

Sounds like you have been classes as having had one
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

Hi Ed. I signed up before for a Qobuz trial and managed to get whole
    Tracks... something has gone wonky matey..!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Prompted by this thread I just signed up for the 15 day trail of Qobuz. I'll be uninstalling it pretty pronto.

It is billed as a 15 day trial but it is a very crippled trial. Only 45 seconds per track, only 320 mp3 and many (I mean many) 404 errors. I installed the windows 64 bit app as well as the Android version. Whilst the android version saw my TV as a playback device it did not see its own app (on my Windows machine) as a playback device - so bang goes the idea the Android app can be used as a remote control - like Spotify does so well.

Also the Windows app has no easy way of seeing/playing local content. It says go to the ooo menu and 'import' but there is no ooo menu.

It did see my audio device drivers so that is a plus I guess.
    Worked ok for me and not time limited in any way (though a couple of tracks said there were no rights and access could be purchased which I thought was totally not the point of a streaming service).

Sound is fine and no errors (on a Mac) and worked well with the Mac's core sound capability and out to the rBlink and my DAC. Didn't try it with mobile control.

It's missing LOADS of stuff though, not even one full set of Bach cantatas to be had, notably poorer than Tidal in this regard. Definitely not the answer for a classical fan. A lot of French stuff but that's not really my bag.

I made no attempt to play out local content as I have iTunes and JRiver installed for that (though JRiver sounds noticeably worse than it used to, I'm told by Hugo this is due to some upsampling behavior that you can no longer shut off - no longer possible to ensure that content is played out in whatever format you have saved locally, which is piss poor in my opinion, some high-handed technical type enforcing his narrow, pig-headed view on the user base. So need an alternative for that as well).

Next stop Spotify which to be fair I probably haven't looked at for five years.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Worked ok for me and not time limited in any way (though a couple of tracks said there were no rights and access could be purchased which I thought was totally not the point of a streaming service).

Sound is fine and no errors (on a Mac) and worked well with the Mac's core sound capability and out to the rBlink and my DAC. Didn't try it with mobile control.

It's missing LOADS of stuff though, not even one full set of Bach cantatas to be had, notably poorer than Tidal in this regard. Definitely not the answer for a classical fan. A lot of French stuff but that's not really my bag.

I made no attempt to play out local content as I have iTunes and JRiver installed for that (though JRiver sounds noticeably worse than it used to, I'm told by Hugo this is due to some upsampling behavior that you can no longer shut off - no longer possible to ensure that content is played out in whatever format you have saved locally, which is piss poor in my opinion, some high-handed technical type enforcing his narrow, pig-headed view or the user base. So need an alternative for that as well).

Next stop Spotify which to be fair I probably haven't looked at for five years.
    I'm using jriver23 and thought it sounded the best yet tbh.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

I'll have another look but so far I can only play tracks up to 45 seconds. But the main issue is of course not being able to play anything above 320/MP3s (Redbook, 24/96 and 24/192 are listed but not selectable). The MP3 stream SQ is not great. Frankly 320/AAC or 320/OGG are much better quality but not offered.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yes it's Jriver 23. Hugo says he's stuck with 17 as in his view that was the best sounding one. I'm no expert and have only recall to go on (always dangerous) but seemed not quite right to me and definitely fell well short of the same music played AIFF format out of Jriver vs straight out of my transport into the same DAC. The raw CDs played on the transport were far more musical and detailed. Not at all what I expected.

I'm Edward.

Grant, I'm a long time JRiver user and get excellent results. Are you using the app to stream stuff like Spotify, Qobuz or Tidal? If so, how?

I can use the app for streams that use http - for example http://www.radioparadise.com/m3u/aac-320.m3u - but not streaming services that a user can control such as ones I listed.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Martin.

Grant have you downloaded the x64bit addon for Jriver 23? its here- https://www.jriver.com/download.html

I presume you're running a 64 bit operating system.

Didn't even realise the standard Jriver is only 32bit 'til I got an email from them. Always wondered why Foobar sounded better on my gear, it runs 64 bit asio drivers.
    We are the love we leave behind.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    <snip>

I made no attempt to play out local content as I have iTunes and JRiver installed for that (though JRiver sounds noticeably worse than it used to, I'm told by Hugo this is due to some upsampling behavior that you can no longer shut off - no longer possible to ensure that content is played out in whatever format you have saved locally, which is piss poor in my opinion, some high-handed technical type enforcing his narrow, pig-headed view on the user base. So need an alternative for that as well).
    <snip>
    Tom

Not sure if the highlighted text relates to Itunes or JRiver? If JRiver then most definitely a user can change the sampling or not. The default is 'no change' but can be changed to anything one wants (subject to the DAC accepting the sample rate). Look in Tools under DSP and audio output functions.

I'm Grant.

Yes it's the 64 Ive got. There is a special driver for it too but I stopped using it at some stage. Don't use aiff only flac and mostly ape now. There are a number of setting adjustments that can tailor it as well.

If u use the special driver you might be able to run Spotify through it. Can't remember if it works. I now control Spotify from iPad and play from chrome canary for best sound
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast