+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ripping Guide

I'm NoLongerActive.

Ripping software assumes a optical drive.
    What you want is not ripping (copy the content of a optical drive) but recording.

Connect the NAD to the sound card and use recording software like Audacity to capture the input.
    If possible use SPDIF otherwise the NAD will DA the signal to analog and the sound-card will AD this analog signal to digital again.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    As far as my experience goes with EAC and dbPoweramp it is only possible to rip from inbuilt or USB connected exterior drives - is this correct?
    Yes.

The reason I ask is that I have a PC with a M-Audio 24/96 PCI card and this has a co-ax input as well as RCA line inputs - I also have a NAD T585 multi-format disc player with coax and line outputs. Could I get a lossless recording using EAC or dbPoweramp from the higher resolution outputs from the NAD player?
    Anyone able to help or comment?
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    What kind of material are you trying to extract ?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post

What kind of material are you trying to extract ?
    Hi Chris,
    Potentially HDCD, SACD and the audio track from DVD-A . I have a number of HiRes (24/96 and up) tracks on my PC and like the SQ through foobar and Logitech Touch.
    I also have the sort of mind (? ) that, if it might be possible I want to give it a try .
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

HDCD can be ripped using dbPoweramp.
    You need to instal the DSP pack.

DVD-Audio can be extracted using Foobar.

I use DVD Audio Extractor - it will cope with all kinds of DVD types, including DVD-A, and is very easy to use.

SACD can't be ripped, and the data will not travel over S/PDIF.
    Chris

I'm Confused.

Smile

HDCD can be ripped using dbPoweramp.
    You need to instal the DSP pack.

DVD-Audio can be extracted using Foobar.

I use DVD Audio Extractor - it will cope with all kinds of DVD types, including DVD-A, and is very easy to use.

SACD can't be ripped, and the data will not travel over S/PDIF.
    Hi Chris,
    HDCD - I'll have a look at the DSP pack - thanks for that

DVD-A - DVD Audio Extractor costs - I did have it running for a while (free trial?) but balked at paying full price - it's now expired, sadly.

SACD - this is where I again expose my naivity (no surprise there then! ) - I have a program on my PC called Sonic Stage Mastering Studio (by Sony) which does record DSD. I understand SACD is based on DSD, or vice versa, or some'at similar . Those vynil rips I sent you, which you were quite complimentary about IIRC, were recorded using this DSD application (I think ).
    I'm off out now for a few hours but I'll catch up with you later.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

DVD-A - DVD Audio Extractor costs - I did have it running for a while (free trial?) but balked at paying full price - it's now expired, sadly.
    It's a good job that you can rip DVD-Audio discs using Foobar then.
    Foobar is not so happy when you have DVD-Video discs with LPCM soundtracks - DVD Audio Extractor can cope quite happily with LPCM.

A DVD-Audio disc has tracks encoded in MLP (Meridian Lossless Packaging), which is a forerunner to FLAC and ALAC.

SACD - this is where I again expose my naivity (no surprise there then! ) - I have a program on my PC called Sonic Stage Mastering Studio (by Sony) which does record DSD. I understand SACD is based on DSD, or vice versa, or some'at similar . Those vynil rips I sent you, which you were quite complimentary about IIRC, were recorded using this DSD application (I think ).
    I'm off out now for a few hours but I'll catch up with you later.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    Whilst a PC can quite happily run DSD processes, you'll find that the optical drive is the bit that won't play ball.
    Sony have sewn up copy security in that regard.
    Chris

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Well, after 3 weeks of hard graft, I am now nearly 1,000 albums done in FLAC. Using EAC on a reasonably speedy laptop is not too bad, and using MP3tag to tidy up any errors I missed at the ripping stage. I have to say, I am now convinced File Based Audio is the way forward, and am playing a lot more variety of stuff than ever - so much easier to find, and even with an old IBM laptop as a server, I am convinced the sound quality is better than my disk spinner. (Still not quite ready to sell it though! Plus I still have some SACDs which simply cannot be ripped.)

However, good though EAC is, I have a mounting list of CDs where one or two tracks just simply won't rip, even after the T-Cut treatment. Rather than replace the CD, what I would like to do, is find the specific tracks on torrent sites... Now - I know nothing about torrents, have never downloaded anything from them, and am only now looking to do so for tracks that I already legally own. I have no intention of this becoming a public discussion, so PLEASE do not suggest any sites on the forum, but I would be very obliged if anyone "in the know" could drop me a PM with a suggestion where to go to look for FLAC rips that I can safely download - obviously a major concern being malware etc., so I am not too happy just googling and trusting to luck.

If anyone can help I would very much appreciate it.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

However, good though EAC is, I have a mounting list of CDs where one or two tracks just simply won't rip, even after the T-Cut treatment.
    Sometimes it's the drive being used - have you tried installing EAC on another machine and ripping the CDs ?

I have both a DVDRW and CDRW in my machine, and occasionally have trouble with a disc not ripping securely in one drive, but for some reason the other will.
    I'd almost put money on the discs not complying to red book standard, hence the issue.
    Chris

I'm notAlone.

Sometimes it's the drive being used - have you tried installing EAC on another machine and ripping the CDs ?

I have both a DVDRW and CDRW in my machine, and occasionally have trouble with a disc not ripping securely in one drive, but for some reason the other will.
    +1

All CD/DVD drives have errors, mostly benign (recoverable).

Try another drive. Lower rip speed (I use x4 or x8 when there are too many errors). If the number of defective sectors is <20, try another software. You'll probably won't notice the difference, moreover published internet files have the same "uncertainty factor" (you rarely know how they were ripped) as your own disks.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Thanks chaps, I have tried two drives, but have another I could use as well, so I may well give that a go.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast