+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl or CD?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    It's been said so often, vinyl replay equal to cd costs much more
    Genuinely laughing out loud. Sorry man but you're the first person I've found who thinks that.
    Last edited by agk; 05-12-2017 at 11:36. Reason: Grammar

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Not at all, Andrew. I think the same, and experience proves it!

Before you disagree so vehemently, I think you should make sure you know *exactly* what Paul means by that statement, as I suspect you're not on the same page.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Genuinely the first time I've read that Marco. The usual line goes something like you'd need to spend a small fortune on a cdp to beat a well setup vinyl front end.

I find no ambiguity in Paul's statement.
    Last edited by agk; 05-12-2017 at 12:01. Reason: Predictive text

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I know where you're coming from but you need to understand what he meant by the statement he made. Unfortunately I don't have time right now to explain in detail why I hold the same opinion, so maybe Paul will explain himself when he returns?

Essentially though, it's about getting a turntable to perform with similar stability/accuracy, and as close as possible to the lack of distortion and quietness on playback, produced by digital sources, whilst at the same time delivering all the musicality of vinyl at its best - and *that* is what costs money!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    Genuinely laughing out loud. Sorry man but you're the first person I've found who thinks that.
    Well I just flat out 100% disagree with that, so there's two people for you who thinks (knows) that.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Neil.

Default Vinyl or CD?

Make that three. :P
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

I don't really understand the comparison. Digital and vinyl are so different I don't see the point in comparisons. I think a majority of enthusiasts would prefer a properly sorted vinyl system to the same album played from a digital source, all else being equal. I'd probably include myself in that.

As to how good the vinyl playing system needs to be to reach that standard, opinions are going to vary with experience, I feel. For me, a Rega 3 with a budget cart and phono stage falls well short of the mark, but I know others who would still prefer that to £20K of state of the art DCS equipment and some who will go on to claim that the humble Rega set up will 'outperform' the digital at any price.

Personally, I like to hear into the recording and you can't do that on a budget vinyl system, you really do need to spend some money on it, and not on useless bling either.

I gave up on vinyl at the point where I realised I was trying to get the vinyl system to do the same as the CD and how much that was going to cost me to get there. Cheaper just to buy the CD.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Default Vinyl or CD?

If people like how vinyl sounds, and I mean the format, not the music, then they will champion vinyl over digital full stop.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    If people like how vinyl sounds, and I mean the format, not the music, then they will champion vinyl over digital full stop.
    And vice versa.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    And vice versa.
    Indeed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast