+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Before and after

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian7 View Post
    MMMmmmmMMM....!!!

Wassat then? Looks like a 211 after taking steroids. Many steroids!
    if i am not mistaken, that looks like a DA100?
    go on nick, put us out of our misery!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

WOAH! What's that valve's intended purpose, nuclear submarine?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm InSpace.

I'm thinking it's something like this:

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...25/4/4211D.pdf

Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

LOL Nick I was referring to the actual breadboard, reminded me of your mercury rectified 211 breadboard.

Now I swear I've seen that pic before

Gentlemen, the valve in question if I'm not mistaken is a 212.
    An amplifier is a musical instrument and not a measuring instrument.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by SolidState View Post
    Gentlemen, the valve in question if I'm not mistaken is a 212.
    Maybe!.... doesn't quite look like this one though.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0287.htm
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Misty,

Don't worry, my head still hurts and you've touched on a few truths anyway. Sorry I didn't get to answer you directly although I hope your questions have now been answered nevertheless.
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't joking about my head, yesterday produced a thumping headache that didn't die down until late tonight...posting on forum boards wasn't the brightest of ideas....anyway, from what seemed like a very simple question (in my head..) didn't seen to translate that way in practice....I think from reading Marco's comments a few posts down, he has provided me with my *simple answer* I sometimes see life drawn in black and white, when in reality, there are also many shades of grey.

I'm Nick.

Yep, its a 212, actually that was a 4212, none are mine unfortunantly

In some ways its relation to a 211 is the same as a 2a3 to 45. Can produce a stunning sound, there is a review of someone listening to a 212 amp Sakuma San produced, and the descripyion is spot on, But the practical problems are immense. They came in several sizes, but were still teh same basic valve, here is a family photo, with a ecc83 and 211 for scale, and a gm100 just to provide a sense of perspective :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    Misty.

I take the view that once someone has bought something, whether it's a car, a house or an amplifier they can do what they like to it. I was aware from the outset that Steve wanted to make changes to the A30 & I realised it would make life a good deal easier for Anthony if he had the schematic to hand rather than having to work it out. .
    Hello Guy,

Thanks also for your reply I fully fall into line with your thought process over ownership of an item once paid for - my sister owns a listed property, and it drives me mad that she is dictated to by the local council what she can and cannot do with it - more so than it does her I think.

I viewed an earlier post by Steve over at PFM which basically stated what you have commented on above re - prior knowledge of the modifications that would take place to the A30. I also viewed all the *extra* comments from others, which is why I explained in my first post that my question(s) had nothing to do with wooden spoons - I just wanted an answer to a question that was rattling around in my head without causing offence to anyone concerned in the actual process.

I'm not sure as much of the amp has been discarded as you might think. It seems Anthony has implemented a topology he prefers and has applied his experience in choosing replacement valves and passive components to give that particular result. There is understandably a charge for the craft, the experience and the premium components that this entails. For what I understand has been done, it seems a fair amount. I might have done things differently as would many other designers. I'm actually flattered that Steven felt the amp was worthy of such attention in the first place.
    That is probably where my lack of knowledge lets me down, I did ponder if that was clouding my judgement earlier - trouble is, in this life, you don't learn much without asking questions....I always seem to ask the ones that end up going off in all directions!

Steven detailed the costings in his post over at PFM (maybe also here?) I wasn't questioning Anthony's costings / workmanship, just the original *worth* of the donor amp....Marco has answered that for me....it really was just that simple a question! I really must work on my ability to phrase a question

I almost get the feeling I've walked into a bar full of football supporters who've just watched their team get hammered in the local derby, and naively asked "Good match then, what was the score?"

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    then it would have cost much more to have been built from scratch with a bespoke high quality, attractive, casing sourced in the UK than using the original Bewitch chassis and then 'putting your own bits in', which is essentially what's happened with Steve's amp.
    Marco.
    Hello Marco,

That's the answer I was looking for....I guess my simple 'black n' white' question rattling around in my head needed a simple answer for er....simple ol' me

I'll go back in the corner now and stick me thicko hat back on....

Chassis? Who needs one? not one of mine btw!

Sweet jesus! That is um....behind a locked door I hope?
    Who owns that little lot?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast