Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad language on AoS

I'm joe.

Default Bad language on AoS

I was surprised to see someone being pulled up over the use of the word 'twat' yesterday. If said person had used the word against an individual, as in 'you are a twat', then I could see why that might be out of order, but he was simply using it in the way you might say something was 'a pain in the arse', or a 'a right balls-ache'. Even more weirdly, when someone pointed out the 'three words daily' thread for comparison, he was told by the moderator that twd is a 'light-hearted' thread where, by implication, such language was OK.

Now, I seldom use bad language, being the polite person I am, but it would be good to know which words are or are not OK. pfm has a 'swear filter', where the forum software censors certain words, leaving asterisks in place of letters, so the job is done for you. But what's OK on AoS language-wise?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I trust that this is not an excuse, Joe, 'cunningly disguised' to regurgitate yesterdays events? Because if I see ANY evidence of that, not only will you be banned, but anyone else guilty of such. I hope I've made myself clear on that.

That said, I shall address the issue of 'bad language' later.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I trust that this is not an excuse, Joe, 'cunningly disguised' to regurgitate yesterdays events? Because if I see ANY evidence of that, not only will you be banned, but anyone else guilty of such. I hope I've made myself clear on that.

That said, I shall address the issue of 'bad language' later.

Marco.
    I thought it was crystal-clear that I was avoiding any mention of the context and focusing specifically on the moderator's criticism of a particular word. (I raised the issue on that thread, but it got 'lost in the noise')

Yes, I understand that, but you also have to realise that it could give others an excuse to rake over events that occurred during the thread where said 'bad language' took place, so I'm simply nipping that one right in the bud!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Ok, 'bad language'... Aside from anything else, Joe, had you considered that the person (Josie) who found the "twat" comment offensive was female? It certainly doesn't seem like it, so I shouldn't really need to say any more on that.

In reference to 3WD, that is in the off-topic section, where members can indulge in some nonsense or laddish humour, or when they're bored and want to post something, but can't be bothered entertaining anything more serious.

However, we wouldn't allow some of the language used there to filter onto the main areas of the forum (such as used to happen regularly on the Wam), and to my knowledge that hasn't happened here, and if it has and others have been aware of it, will have been removed.

Yes, some people may find some of what's written in 3WD offensive, but then so do I when, say, something I've invested my time and money in is ignorantly dismissed as "foo" or someone indirectly calls my sanity into question, by way of implying I'm prone to delusion!

Moreover, in terms of 3WD, two of our most prominent female members, Bev and Josie, have been known to contribute to that thread and participate in the often 'adult nature' of the posts, including the light-hearted references to 'lady parts', so one can safely assume that they don't consider it as offensive. If they did, or if any female member here complained, we'd put a stop to it.

At the end of the day, however, if you don't like the content of 3WD, you don't have to visit that part of the forum, but it's staying put, no matter how much some joyless, prudish, self-righteous 'morality-saviours' like to tut-tut, who jack-off every morning to their posters of Mary Whitehouse

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ok, 'bad language'... Aside from anything else, Joe, had you considered that the person (Josie) who found the "twat" comment offensive was female? It certainly doesn't seem like it, so I shouldn't really need to say any more on that.
    That might be relevant, were it not for the fact that said female is, as you say, quite happy with references to female bodily parts in twd. Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

No worries, Joe. There's a thing called 'being able to laugh at yourself' and not take yourself or life too seriously, but sometimes certain words or phrases will trigger a reaction. I suspect that applies in some degree to Josie (and most probably Bev), in reference to your above comment.

At the end of the day, what someone, male or female, finds as funny, is personal, so folks simply have to respect that fact. We all have our own ideas as to what qualifies as such, and so we should not superimpose our judgement on that (or indeed our self-righteous moral values) onto others

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I was surprised to see someone being pulled up over the use of the word 'twat' yesterday. If said person had used the word against an individual, as in 'you are a twat', then I could see why that might be out of order, but he was simply using it in the way you might say something was 'a pain in the arse', or a 'a right balls-ache'. Even more weirdly, when someone pointed out the 'three words daily' thread for comparison, he was told by the moderator that twd is a 'light-hearted' thread where, by implication, such language was OK.

Now, I seldom use bad language, being the polite person I am, but it would be good to know which words are or are not OK. pfm has a 'swear filter', where the forum software censors certain words, leaving asterisks in place of letters, so the job is done for you. But what's OK on AoS language-wise?
    Personally my take on it is that if you use something that a mod decides should be removed then the author should be ok with it. I don't think a definitive list is needed. Mods have a job to do and are expected to use "their" feelings on this. This is why they are there and folk should go along with it rather than get the hump etc. But sure you knew this.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Personally my take on it is that if you use something that a mod decides should be removed then the author should be ok with it. I don't think a definitive list is needed. Mods have a job to do and are expected to use "their" feelings on this. This is why they are there and folk should go along with it rather than get the hump etc. But sure you knew this.
    Oh, yeah, I've never envied the task moderators have, which is thankless and unpaid. I might argue the toss if I think a moderator has misunderstood what I was saying, but if my choice of words is unacceptable for whatever reason, I'd have no problem re-phrasing what I'd written. Though, like I said, I rarely use what might broadly be described as 'bad language' (unless I hit my finger with a hammer).

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Oh, yeah, I've never envied the task moderators have, which is thankless and unpaid. I might argue the toss if I think a moderator has misunderstood what I was saying, but if my choice of words is unacceptable for whatever reason, I'd have no problem re-phrasing what I'd written. Though, like I said, I rarely use what might broadly be described as 'bad language' (unless I hit my finger with a hammer).
    believe me, if we get it wrong we get told so. as does the owner. It happens, although not very often.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast