+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do USB cables make an audible difference?

I'm Kevin.

Unless you still have your second converter, I guess I need something like this - https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/appar...g-p-10547.html
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Lawrence.

Just to add, my Chord cable (it was the turquoise one whatever that's called) was a big improvement over a cheap basic cable. Would like to compare to a Lindy.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Buy the cheapest true 'USB Certified' cable you can find. Even most fancy USB cables aren't actually USB certified. Then you can be certain that it performs 100% to the USB specification.
    This.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Default Do USB cables make an audible difference?

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Yup, I use a Halide Bridge USB/co-ax converter. It was not a subtle improvement over a straight USB connection.
    You can borrow my AQVOX if you’d like for another step up for the Halide Bridge.

My favourite converter for sure. Captive USB lead means no cable swapping.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Clive.

Regenerate the USB signal either just before the DAC or use a DAC which does this internally. This is massively reduces the need and desire for special USB cables.

I wish USB cables didn't matter but also I find cost doesn't relate to best SQ. Ferrite chokes on the USB cables can help and probably are mostly what's needed. My best USB cable which came with a USB drive has with a ferrite choke.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Neal.

Ferrite chokes are a bit of a lottery, they may work or not. They alter the impedance of the cable and affect the signal rise times so their use needs to be thought through first. If the designers of the end devices have done their jobs properly then there is no call for ferrite chokes on USB cables, just use a certifed cable.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Ferrite chokes are a bit of a lottery, they may work or not. They alter the impedance of the cable and affect the signal rise times so their use needs to be thought through first. If the designers of the end devices have done their jobs properly then there is no call for ferrite chokes on USB cables, just use a certifed cable.
    I'm aware the ferrite chokes aren't necessarily a good thing but they are very inexpensive to try. I can't say whether the cable that came with my Toshiba USB drive is certified or not but presumably Toshibiba put it there for a reason - I don't expect they was the product to cost 1 cent more than it needs to.

If a cable is certified does it mean the cable is perfect? What I'm getting at is if the device at the end (or start) of the cable is horribly noisy then a certified cable is unlikely to do much to reduce the noise. Maybe a certified cable is just the starting point for such a noisy environment. What's at the receiving end should take noise in to account (hence the regeneration comment I made) but I suspect that multiple levels of cleaning will help in some situations.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Gary.

Certification, I find can sometimes be like joining a club....you pays yer money and you get your stickyfoot.

I'm John.

There's some interesting stuff in the letters page of last month's HiFi World about digital cables. Upshot: they are more complex than most of us think.

Someone made the point about USB quality in general. My Chord Mojo has USB, coax and optical inputs and the USB is easily the worst of the three. My Fiio DAC does sound great through USB though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    I can't say whether the cable that came with my Toshiba USB drive is certified or not but presumably Toshibiba put it there for a reason
    Yes to meet FCC Class B

If a cable is certified does it mean the cable is perfect? What I'm getting at is if the device at the end (or start) of the cable is horribly noisy then a certified cable is unlikely to do much to reduce the noise. Maybe a certified cable is just the starting point for such a noisy environment. What's at the receiving end should take noise in to account (hence the regeneration comment I made) but I suspect that multiple levels of cleaning will help in some situations.
    It means is meets the USB specification for whatever speed class intended. Yes it’s not going to fix a poorly implemented USB end device but then neither is a ferrite choke, as I said it’s a lottery, the variables are many. Sure try one as they are cheap and you never know you may strike lucky.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast