+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chord v Tellurium Q

I'm Simon.

Default Chord v Tellurium Q

I'd like to try some Tellurium Q speaker cables and maybe change from my epic reference and sell them to fund it.

I'm meeting up with a hi fi owner of the blue range of Tellurium but I'm maybe thinking something in the black range as Tellurium indicate the differences in balance and I'd like to move away from silver coated copper of chord which does high Frequencies well.

Since I bought my pmc 25-23 speakers the treble is high with epic, and whilst not a concern, sometimes you do get quite raspy and toppy lispiness to vocals or cymbals, especially on digital content where you get this edginess sometimes. My old pmc 20-23s suited the cyrus signature kit I have and the detail but added detail and midrange in the 25-23's and with this treble, maybe makes the epics a bit too much and the treble needs toning down very slightly, not a huge amount but just to make this edginess not so often marked.

I'm thinking Tellurium black range so would welcome comments from anyone with similar kit or having tried both chord and Tellurium. Which one should I try and why.

Also has anyone found more treble when you've reattached speaker wires, taking off any oxidation on the plugs etc. I found this extra treble after I did reconnect.

I'm Phil.

sometimes when I have cleaned things it takes a short while to settle back down . as I mentioned elsewhere I am a great fan of chord epic and it sounds sublime in my setup
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Marcus.

The original TQ Black certainly softened the treble range. TQ Black II is quite different, but better in my opinion - while there is more treble, it sounds more like real-life treble - clear, but not grating.

Of course, now there is Colin Wonfor's new cables, at around the same price (a little cheaper) - this is the guy who designed TQ cables in the first place, so has to be considered very seriously. I am going to try them out soon, so you might want to keep an eye out on the results of that.
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

I'm Gary.

Curious about the Epic myself.
    Heard them noticeably improve a mates speakers, so curious about them in my own setup.

Its TQ Ultra Black I use though and it sounds superb, but always willing to try other things as long as I hear them first.
    Not sure what to expect but probably be sticking with what I have.

You never know though in this game!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Curious about the Epic myself.
    Heard them noticeably improve a mates speakers, so curious about them in my own setup.

Its TQ Ultra Black I use though and it sounds superb, but always willing to try other things as long as I hear them first.
    Not sure what to expect but probably be sticking with what I have.

You never know though in this game!
    Me too - The Epic twin caught my eye, meant to be good on bass (If that's what people want) amongst other things.
    I have the QED silver spiral which I'm happy with. The epic twin would probably be a sideways move so I'll likely leave well alone for now too

I'm Simon.

I tried both the qed silver spiral Genesis and epic twin and epic twin was better in my system, if this maybe helps. Qed slightly less dynamic was obvious thing. I went onto epic reference as I mentioned in my post but not really great value compared to twin.

+ Reply to Thread