19 38.00%
  • Have used before.

9 18.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll For Electrostatic / Planar Speaker Users

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Had a few statics, a pair of 57’s a good few years ago which were lovely. Then a couple of models from ER Audio, which I bought from Colin Topps who used to be the U.K. agent for them many moons ago. I still have their top model, the Acorns, a long term project for which is to drive with them some direct coupled GM70 valve amps, though a trip to a previous Owston unfortunately damaged one of the panels which I have yet to repair - been mucking about with active OB’s ever since..

Nick Gorham threw together a prototype 813 direct coupled amp for that Owston ( because I had several pairs) which sounded amazing, in many ways still the best sound I’ve ever heard from a sound system. Definitely the way to get the best from statics IMO.
    I believe Tim de Paravicini did something similar with a pair of Quad 57s, though I don't remember which output valves he used. Makes a lot of sense: direct coupling of the anodes of the push-pull output valves to the stators eliminates two transformers at a stroke. Wouldn't need much power, but the anodes would have to run at about 2kV.
    Barry

I'm Deleted.

I can hear the appeal of electrostatic speakers but, for me, their strengths have never outweighed their limitations. Also, I’m really not a fan of dipoles as such (not all electrostatics have been dipoles).
    Account Deleted

I'm Lawrence.

What are hybrid ribbon speakers classed as??

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    What are hybrid ribbon speakers classed as??

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Planar, as are hybrid electrostatic speakers.
    Barry

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Thanks for adding the new option, that makes sense

I'm actually quite surprised how many people are using, or have used, electrostatic/planar speakers
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Planar, as are hybrid electrostatic speakers.
    got trad drivers too tho
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

Had a couple of pairs each of 57s and 63s, have several times gone to hear but chickened out of buying 989s and 2905s (wider frequency range, but I don't think they have the magic of the oldies) ... heard a few pairs of Maggies at shows, not sure they are really my kind of thing ... warming to Apogees, for all their idiosyncrasies as I've always liked them any time I've heard them (though I suspect it takes dedication at Justin's level to get the best out of them) ... loathe and detest the hybrid Martin Logans with their 10ft tall violinists and midget cellists (though do like the CLS).

All of my (actually fairly lengthy) electrostatic ownership experience is therefore with Quads ... and what do what they do well, they do fantastically well ... however, some things they don't do well at all.. The wife's not a fan as she refuses to sit in the (typically very small) sweet spot so really needs a room-filling dynamic driver (Tannoy fitting the bill nicely) that doesn't do weird things if you aren't in the directly radiated area. I suspect I won't have another pair.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    got trad drivers too tho
    Well yes - that is what is meant by 'hybrid'. But the traditional driver is usually the bass driver.

Not all electrostatics were planar (dipole) though: the Alex Shackman mid/tweeter wasn't, nor was the American Electro Static Sounds (ESS) speaker which used electrostatic tweeters. Both used a conventional cabinet.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not all electrostatics were planar (dipole) though: the Alex Shackman mid/tweeter wasn't, nor was the American Electro Static Sounds (ESS) speaker which used electrostatic tweeters. Both used a conventional cabinet.
    I believe Jenszen from the US used an enclosure too.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I believe Jenszen from the US used an enclosure too.
    Yes you're right - I had forgotten about the Jenszen unit.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast